The Bluemoon Song Cup 2024 - P218 - R2/M107 - Buffalo Springfield (For What It's Worth) v Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Through The Grapevine)

Not sure if you agree Fog but Ray was also a good musician. There would have been no Doors without Ray. Look Morrison was a decent songwriter but as you allude to very destructive for the band which was never going to be around with that lien up for very long.
I do agree and for that matter the whole band was strong. But drugged—up alcoholic pretty boy rock poet wastoid Navy brats aren’t ever going to be my thing. The only difference between Jim Mo and Darby Crash is that Darby grew up poorer and uglier.

I do agree and for that matter the whole band was strong. But drugged—up alcoholic pretty boy rock poet wastoid Navy brats aren’t ever going to be my thing. The only difference between Jim Mo and Darby Crash is that Darby grew up poorer and uglier.
I know very little about the Germs but if his life mirrored JM then I am unlikely to investigate further.

My views on Jim Morrison being everything that's wrong with rock 'n' roll front men are well-known, and I don't like any of their records in their entirety (save the first) and have been satisfied with one of their (many) older Greatest Hits record (which The End is not on). That said, they were original, and Ray Manzarek turned out to be a great producer, so they contributed nearly as much to world as Jim Morrison took from it in his brief stay here.
Did you not tell me that someone close to you quite fancied him? That had absolutely nothing to do with your views. ;-)
Morrison had one of the great rock voices. He was front man to one of the most influential bands in rock history. The other band members were also incredibly talented. In all seriousness I never got your dislike of him. A genuine rock icon.

Jim was a fantastic front man- charismatic, eloquent and totally unique. The band broke the mould. Much better rock than any fookin beach boys or shit like that which yanks in particular seem to rave about. Ggrrrrrrrr!
I like both. I'm not sure that trashing The Beach Boys makes The Doors look any better. They were both great bands playing very different styles.

Did you not tell me that someone close to you quite fancied him? That had absolutely nothing to do with your views. ;-)
Morrison had one of the great rock voices. He was front man to one of the most influential bands in rock history. The other band members were also incredibly talented. In all seriousness I never got your dislike of him. A genuine rock icon.
Good frontman though Morrison was, it was the playing of Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore that really makes the The Doors special for me.

I like both. I'm not sure that trashing The Beach Boys makes The Doors look any better. They were both great bands playing very different styles.

Good frontman though Morrison was, it was the playing of Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore that really makes the The Doors special for me.
Brian Wilson made some of the best pop music ever to be recorded. The Doors were a great rock band. Both were brilliant in their own way.

I’m not sure about that. It goes through a lot of phases. There’s slow languid guitar at the start, a section where it speeds Up. Those organ chords when Morrison sings “of our elaborate plans, the end”. I’d go as far as to say it’s a masterpiece. This is the kind of instrumental magic that I always bang on about missing in the album thread when there’s not enough going on for me in some of the selections.

Each to their own, of course, but to say nothing happens is not the way I see it. There is so much going on in this song in both the lyrics and music.
it is a stone cold classic.
So atmospheric.

The killer awoke before dawn
He put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery
And he... he walked on down the hallway baby

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.