The Bluemoon Song Cup 2024 - P220 - R2/M109 - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Hold On To Yourself) v Wilson Pickett (Bring It On Home To Me)

Think they became that when they became just a studio project in the main ,those early albums they were a proper band.
This is a debate that goes back ages, and my head agrees but my heart doesn't. "Charlie Freak" and "Doctor Wu" are my two favo(u)rite SD songs, and both because they're haunting -- they have plenty of soul. But even the later studio stuff like Aja I still love. Even on a not-so-great record like Gaucho they'd craft some gems. In any iteration they're still geniuses, slick as they became as studio obsessives.

This is a debate that goes back ages, and my head agrees but my heart doesn't. "Charlie Freak" and "Doctor Wu" are my two favo(u)rite SD songs, and both because they're haunting -- they have plenty of soul. But even the later studio stuff like Aja I still love. Even on a not-so-great record like Gaucho they'd craft some gems. In any iteration they're still geniuses, slick as they became as studio obsessives.
I agree and like Gaucho more than Aja to be honest. If I had to choose though my favourite SD album would come from the first 4 albums.

I agree and like Gaucho more than Aja to be honest. If I had to choose though my favourite SD album would come from the first 4 albums.
I really struggle with deciding. I think it might be Aja, but it might be Katy Lied, or it might be Can't Buy A Thrill, but I also like The Royal Scam a lot, AND Pretzel Logic AND Countdown to Ecstasy - and even the last three they did after Aja though not as well. Hell, throw The Nightfly in there, which is a Fagen solo record, but might as well be in the canon. The fact that I struggle to decide (and have for decades now) says a lot. What a great band.

I really struggle with deciding. I think it might be Aja, but it might be Katy Lied, or it might be Can't Buy A Thrill, but I also like The Royal Scam a lot, AND Pretzel Logic AND Countdown to Ecstasy - and even the last three they did after Aja though not as well. Hell, throw The Nightfly in there, which is a Fagen solo record, but might as well be in the canon. The fact that I struggle to decide (and have for decades now) says a lot. What a great band.
One of the greatest, of that there is absolutely no doubt !

Round 2

Rules/scores will all be on page 1.
first round only all fixtures will compete in category order.

Please click 'Like' on the song you prefer.

Round 2/M109

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Hold On To Yourself
v
Wilson Pickett - Bring It On Home To Me

Can't agree with that, but it's all about opinions of course ! Their lyrics were probably more subversive than any punk band and there is plenty of soul in the vocals, e.g. Deacon Blues, Third World Man for example.They are adored by many black soul funk and rap artists and were sampled by many, hncluding De La Soul, Kanye West and Lord Tariq to name just 3.
Spot on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.