The Bluemoon Song Cup 2024 - P231 - R2/M118 - Kaleo (No Good) v The Prodigy (Omen)

Greatest ever is a matter of opinion but anyone who doesn’t think it’s iconic hasn’t listened to very much music. At all.
The older I get the more I realise that music I thought was standard because we all know it - is not necessarily known at all by a new generation. And that Led Zeppelin (for instance) is the equivalent to my grandparents singing music hall stuff. There are so many genres of music and ways of accessing music now that someone can have listened to loads of music and never engaged with early 1970's rock music - because it is irrelevant to their world.

I think people who rate certain bands(including me) way over state what they believe is iconic. They can also have a very elitist attitude in that if people don't listen to what they listen to then they can't have listened to much music.

There is a never ending amount of music one can listen to outside of Zep. I can't even remember the last time I heard this song in passing so believe me it ain't iconic.

A gorilla playing drums on a chocolate advert is far far more iconic than this.

I don't even like chocolate.

As you were:-)
Clueless.

The older I get the more I realise that music I thought was standard because we all know it - is not necessarily known at all by a new generation. And that Led Zeppelin (for instance) is the equivalent to my grandparents singing music hall stuff. There are so many genres of music and ways of accessing music now that someone can have listened to loads of music and never engaged with early 1970's rock music - because it is irrelevant to their world.
Given that this drumbeat is one of THE most popularly sampled of any piece of music ever made by any artist, I will continue to suggest that “the new generation” understands its iconic nature, ironically better than some of the FOCs here who disparage it despite them being around when it was originally released.

Did the Beatles ever say they were a 'rock' band - please explain your definition of a 'rock' band who is allowed to considered as thus
No they didn't.....but I replied to a poster NOT them ;)
You can class whoever you like as a rock band, if you include the Beatles, then I guess you class Westlife, Blue, Take That, Boyzone and One Direction as rock bands too.

I think people who rate certain bands(including me) way over state what they believe is iconic. They can also have a very elitist attitude in that if people don't listen to what they listen to then they can't have listened to much music.

There is a never ending amount of music one can listen to outside of Zep. I can't even remember the last time I heard this song in passing so believe me it ain't iconic.

A gorilla playing drums on a chocolate advert is far far more iconic than this.

I don't even like chocolate.

As you were:-)
Yeah, you’re right. Not iconic at all. It’s only been sampled in 261 fucking songs.

I do appreciate the lecture on how much music there is apart from Led Zep, though. However, the discussion was about whether this piece of music was iconic and, I repeat, unless you haven’t paid attention to music since it came out, it factually is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.