The Bluemoon Song Cup 2024 - P231 - R2/M118 - Kaleo (No Good) v The Prodigy (Omen)

I asked my good buddy the glorified Google search that is ChatGPT

Which songs (pop, rock, soul etc,) have the most iconic drum beats?

ChatGPT said:​

Here’s a list of songs across genres (pop, rock, soul) known for their iconic drum beats:

Rock:

1. Led Zeppelin – "When the Levee Breaks"
    John Bonham’s massive, echoing drum beat in this song is one of the most sampled in music history.
  2. Phil Collins – "In the Air Tonight"
    The famous drum fill near the end of the song is instantly recognizable and one of the most iconic moments in rock drumming.
  3. The Rolling Stones – "Honky Tonk Women"
    Charlie Watts’ simple, yet infectious cowbell-heavy intro and groove are unforgettable.
  4. Queen – "We Will Rock You"
    The stomping, clapping beat of this song is an anthem on its own and universally recognized.
  5. Nirvana – "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
    Dave Grohl’s powerful and dynamic drumming is a huge part of why this song became a grunge classic.

Pop:

1. Michael Jackson – "Billie Jean"
    The opening beat, produced by drum machines and live drumming, sets the mood for one of pop’s biggest hits.
  2. Toto – "Rosanna"
    Jeff Porcaro’s intricate shuffle beat (often called the "Rosanna shuffle") is both complex and deeply groove-laden.
  3. The Weeknd – "Blinding Lights"
    The driving 80s-inspired beat, anchored by electronic drums, has become a modern pop staple.
  4. Prince – "1999"
    The electric drumbeat in this song is so distinctive and synonymous with Prince’s unique sound.

Soul/Funk:

1. James Brown – "Funky Drummer"
    Clyde Stubblefield’s break in this song is one of the most sampled drum beats in hip-hop and beyond.
  2. Stevie Wonder – "Superstition"
    Stevie’s own drumming on this track delivers a funky, syncopated groove that is instantly recognizable.
  3. The Jackson 5 – "I Want You Back"
    The Motown beat in this song, driven by intricate hi-hat and snare work, became a defining sound of the era.
  4. The Winstons – "Amen Brother"
    The “Amen break” from this song became legendary in breakbeat and drum and bass music, sampled endlessly across genres.

Hip-Hop:

1. Dr. Dre – "Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang"
    The relaxed, G-funk drum groove became synonymous with West Coast hip-hop in the early '90s.
  2. Run-D.M.C. – "Walk This Way"
    Blending rock and hip-hop, this song’s hard-hitting beat is iconic in both genres.
These songs stand out for their drumming, shaping both their genres and broader musical history.

And this guy have a very well regarded youtube channel:

The beginning and end tell you all you need to know.

20. “Billion Dollar Babies” – Alice Cooper

And I asked my friend Google search and guess what different songs appeared, it's almost like it's down to personal opinion. So well done for giving us examples that included your song. Quite a bit of luck that;-)

Although I'm sure your list is the bestest and greatest list in the whole wide world:-)

Maybe in future just say you think something is very good cocker. There is no such thing as the best in music.

Ttfn.

Listen diaper boy don’t lecture me on what personal opinion I should offer in giving my reason why I voted for a song.

And then compound it by saying the song / beat aren’t iconic. As Foggy said, best is a matter of opinion, and anyone is free to have a different one but that it is iconic, for good reason, is a fact.

No the conversation was is it the greatest and bestest drum beat of all time. You brought your nose and iconic into it.
I already stipulated that greatest ever was a matter of opinion. Then YOU said:

I think people who rate certain bands(including me) way over state what they believe is iconic. They can also have a very elitist attitude in that if people don't listen to what they listen to then they can't have listened to much music.

There is a never ending amount of music one can listen to outside of Zep. I can't even remember the last time I heard this song in passing so believe me it ain't iconic.

There isn’t any overstating anything. It’s a matter of fact. How do I know? Because I’ve heard the beat sample over and over in songs of the 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s. So how have you not heard them?

You’re welcome to have whatever opinion you want of the song and the beat — personally I love it — but you’re just factually wrong if you don’t think it had and has enormous influence; ergo, it’s iconic.

Listen diaper boy don’t lecture me on what personal opinion I should offer in giving my reason why I voted for a song.

And then compound it by saying the song / beat aren’t iconic. As Foggy said, best is a matter of opinion, and anyone is free to have a different one but that it is iconic, for good reason, is a fact.

So it's about personal opinion and taste as I said, glad you calmed down and admitted it little man. We can now move on with the thread and give our opinions on music without the insults and sneering at other people's taste.

That's okay with you yes? We wouldn't want to upset you precious:-)

I already stipulated that greatest ever was a matter of opinion.
And if you left it at that all would be good, something being iconic is never a fact you Plum. I hate to break it to you but it's iconic to you. In a world of billions of people many will not find it iconic, some may not even recognise it. If you are a fan though it will be iconic to you.

I would suggest in future you climb out of your own arse and don't suggest someone who doesn't think the same as you doesn't listen to much music if at all.

You stuck your nose in when it wasn't needed and were very condescending and if you don't like it tough put me on ignore. You seem to have a very high opinion of your own taste on every music thread.

And if you left it at that all would be good, something being iconic is never a fact you Plum. I hate to break it to you but it's iconic to you. In a world of billions of people many will not find it iconic, some may not even recognise it. If you are a fan though it will be iconic to you.

I would suggest in future you climb out of your own arse and don't suggest someone who doesn't think the same as you doesn't listen to much music if at all.

You stuck your nose in when it wasn't needed and were very condescending and if you don't like it tough put me on ignore. You seem to have a very high opinion of your own taste on every music thread.
Jesus. Relax, chief.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.