The "Bobs" - Belle Vue

manclad

City boys we are here,sh*g your women and drink yo
After reading the roller coaster thread, I started thinking that one of the most famous roller coasters in Europe used
to be located less than a mile from City,s ground(s) - both COMS & Hyde Road.
At one time the "Bobs" - (so called because the car looked like a bobsleigh) was listed in the guiness book of records
as the fastest roller coaster in the world with a top speed of 61 mph.Pretty tame by todays standards, but from 1926 to 1971
absolutley terrifying for most people.It was a huge wooden framed roller coaster (modern ones are steel framed)that cast a huge shadow
on the east Manchester skyline.
If any of you under 30's are wondering where this behemoth was located just walk down Alan Turing Way to British Car Auctions/Showcase cinemas & you will be standing on the site where Belle Vue was located from 1836 to 1982.

denislawsbackheel said:
tell em about the zoo too manclad!

My old feller worked in the New Elizabethan ballroom as a musician from about 1963 to 1971.
This was mainly ballroom dancing etc. but alot of young people used to attend. Cos he worked there he used to get
me & our kid in for free.I had many a great day wondering round the zoo all day,getting a meal in a cafe,& then going to
the circus in the evening,in the Kings Hall(he was in their band as well).
Then meet the old man in the New Elizabethan & drink pop & get looked after by the bouncers & waitresses until he finished playing at about 10.30 p.m. - proper exciting stuff tor a 12 year old watching the glitter ball lights & couples dancing - from a prime position on the upper balcony.

oh yes!!!
I remember the flea show. You had to see it.
And the New Elizabethan. memories.

Blue2112 said:
I used to like the water chute and the caterpillar at Belle Vue great memories as a kid.

I used to go on the water chute after the wrestling in Kings Hall when I was a kid. I steered clear of the mad mouse though(scary as fuck)

I've just moved to Cheadle Hulme after spendin' the last nine years livin' in Belle Vue (right on the land where the amusement park once stood!) ........ i remember it well as a kid , especially as the school i attended was right across the road from it too !

2vl01av.jpg
1zqeu8k.jpg

I used to spend a lot of time there when I was a kid.

My Nana would take me in to the pub next door and sneak out the back door so we didn't pay the entrance fee - a trick I couldn't pull of on my own as they didn't let 10 year olds in pubs on their own but I tried frequently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.