The Boxing thread

I think at the beginning Moras was working out the best way to address the fighting styles, which is what a ref should be doing. After in the beginning Tyson went with a one-two salvo and straight into a clinch!! No choice but to intervene!

Later on, as you say, he let them fight BUT Baylis would have kept jumping in, whereas Moras was constantly talking to both fighters as to what he saw. "Hands are free!", "Fight it out!", "Not holding!", "Work it out!", "I have this under control!" and only jumping in when he knew they were going to lean on. Totally different enjoyment of watching a match at heavyweight.

Brilliant stuff.
I’m of the mindset that the ref you don’t notice is a good ref. It just felt like he was intruding on a good scrap at times. They should be allowed to lean on each other without him diving in screaming at them. It’s part of the skill of fighting on the inside.

We’ll have to agree to disagree I think

depends how you score boxing, robbed in that he kept going forward but landed far less punches than Leonard? Sure Leonard never hurt Hagler but its pretty hard to score that fight differently.

Depends how you view boxing ( first)..

On the big screen in the Apollo you could see clearly 80% of leonard punches were not landing, they were thrown not to land but to point score ( cheatin) last minute of the round his arms were going out 40 times and he may have pitter patterd landed 6...then put his hands in the air when the bell went to let the crowd think his 6 punches were majority...a good trick for an half pissed crowd.

With regard your heavyweight jabbing champion ali...it may well be be true pre '70...but speed post '72 ish wasnt his forte n'more....holmes on the other hand had a jab of equal parity...for more yrs, though he had been his sparring partner

Depends how you look at boxing.
If the fight is tight i would look at the aggressor, the man who wants to fight.
But also i know people would score it to the man who would rather not fight and move all night.

Sugar Ray was the fans and media darling and i knew at the time Hagler would be in trouble if it went to the judges.
But for what its worth i still believe Marvin won the fight regardless

I understand that, but how do you score the fight, Boxing is acored on punches landed not someone going forwards.

Depends how you view boxing ( first)..

On the big screen in the Apollo you could see clearly 80% of leonard punches were not landing, they were thrown not to land but to point score ( cheatin) last minute of the round his arms were going out 40 times and he may have pitter patterd landed 6...then put his hands in the air when the bell went to let the crowd think his 6 punches were majority...a good trick for an half pissed crowd.

With regard your heavyweight jabbing champion ali...it may well be be true pre '70...but speed post '72 ish wasnt his forte n'more....holmes on the other hand had a jab of equal parity...for more yrs, though he had been his sparring partner
Heavyweight jabbing champion. Lol.

Please does anybody know when the fight highlights are available on normal BT?

Fury was magnificent and great to see a world heavyweight from our City. Can see him being unbeaten when he retires now. 3/4 more fights to just top the pension up and cement his legacy now. AJ, Usk, and White. He beats all them.

I say AJ knocks him out within 3 rounds. Wilder is a chinny, severely limited boxer with one punch, shite resume, no footwork, no defence. Would love to see that fight but as I said I think Wilder retires now, I doubt he would take the AJ fight. AJ said he'll fight Wilder belt or no belt. Whyte will too. Baffling how anyone can't see who's the hype job, who's been ducking, who's been protected, if they know the facts.
Yeah because AJ isn’t chinny or a limited boxer either is he

I’m of the mindset that the ref you don’t notice is a good ref. It just felt like he was intruding on a good scrap at times. They should be allowed to lean on each other without him diving in screaming at them. It’s part of the skill of fighting on the inside.

We’ll have to agree to disagree I think
There's leaning on for inside punching and there's leaning on for avoiding punches/ tiredness/ fear.

Russell Mora was very much like Richard Steele of yesteryear (the ref in Hagler-Hearns fight) communicating with the fighters, letting them fight it out and separating obvious lean on.

But, yes, agree to disagree!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.