The Boxing thread

I do t think anyone dodging Whittaker, but if he's not careful he's going to be a hard sell for promoter's. As has been said Nas was a showboating knockout artist. Whittaker is quick, luckily he may just miss the current group of light heavy champions
His social media following is huge: the uninformed think that he is some kind of Matrix character. Showboating has never appealed to me, but I understand that it can help you gain attention and a following. I don't like those who do it against lesser fighters, and Whittaker walking his opponent back to his corner was ill-considered, arrogant, and disrespectful; it was no surprise that his opponent stuck the nut in. I would like to see him in against Yarde, but I imagine he will not want any piece of that, and definitely not yet.

His social media following is huge: the uninformed think that he is some kind of Matrix character. Showboating has never appealed to me, but I understand that it can help you gain attention and a following. I don't like those who do it against lesser fighters, and Whittaker walking his opponent back to his corner was ill-considered, arrogant, and disrespectful; it was no surprise that his opponent stuck the nut in. I would like to see him in against Yarde, but I imagine he will not want any piece of that, and definitely not yet.
How do you think he’d do against Lyndon Arthur ?

I like big Lyndon but he’s pretty limited at the top level and if Ben can find a way around his jab I think he probably beats him.

How do you think he’d do against Lyndon Arthur ?

I like big Lyndon but he’s pretty limited at the top level and if Ben can find a way around his jab I think he probably beats him.
I think he possibly does. I suspect that he will go all the way to the very top but then be found wanting against the best. Certainly, he will get caught by power if he stays in the pocket and relies on twisting his head with his hands down: someone like Beterbiev would simply keep throwing combinations until they landed, and he also wouldn't mind hitting shoulders, neck, torso, all of which would slow Whittaker down for a later rounds stoppage. I like the idea of a fight against Yarde because he is also a bit unorthodox, but has power and durability.

I think he possibly does. I suspect that he will go all the way to the very top but then be found wanting against the best. Certainly, he will get caught by power if he stays in the pocket and relies on twisting his head with his hands down: someone like Beterbiev would simply keep throwing combinations until they landed, and he also wouldn't mind hitting shoulders, neck, torso, all of which would slow Whittaker down for a later rounds stoppage. I like the idea of a fight against Yarde because he is also a bit unorthodox, but has power and durability.
Agree with most of that although i think at this stage Yarde would be all over him like a rash.

My main worry for Ben is that he doesn't seem to have one punch power. All the skills in the world won't help him if he can't deter serious guys from just walking forward all night long as we saw with Tank v Martin at the weekend

Agree with most of that although i think at this stage Yarde would be all over him like a rash.

My main worry for Ben is that he doesn't seem to have one punch power. All the skills in the world won't help him if he can't deter serious guys from just walking forward all night long as we saw with Tank v Martin at the weekend
Yes, I am not talking now: we are probably 12-18 months away from that kind of fight.
He is a sharp hitter but not concussive, and I think you nail the point: the top guys will apply a high guard and just march him down, then use combinations that he cannot avoid. Coming under pressure in a fight will be good for him, and it will be interesting to see if he can cope mentally.

I wish him well but he hasn't fought anyone above regional level. It may be that he needs a real test, just for his own piece of mind. As I said he's quick, both in terms of movement and hand speed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.