The Boxing thread

He doesn't struggle against fighters his own height though, he's much more comfortable with that. That was the whole reason he wasn't comfortable against Povetikin in the first half of the fight and even more so against Ruiz Jr(who has arguably the best chin at heavyweight). Are people forgetting who Joshua has already been in with and stopped? Someone even questioning AJ's punching power? Laughable.

It looked to me as though he had been working on changing levels for shorter fighters but even in this fight he still hasn't quite got the hang of it. He got clipped whenever he was trying to crouch to his level and engage. Personally, I think this was a gameplan he was working on to get a stoppage win but maybe there wasn't enough time to add this to his arsenal to the level required, for a fighter like Ruiz Jr. He ended up sticking with what was working, keeping him at range and controlling the distance, banking the rounds for a points win. He looked surprisingly graceful and fluid in his movement to me, for what so called experts were describing as a robotic body builder.
Who’s he been in with and stopped who are elite world fighters ?
Only a 40 year old vlad who was damaged goods after fury gave him a boxing lesson even then he very nearly popped Joshua out . He went points with a very average Joseph Parker who has turned out to be well not so good . He struggled with old man povetkin until stamina caught up with the Russian . Carlos takam Dominic breazeale and the great Charles Martin . World class ? Do me a favour . His best fight was against dillian whyte but I don’t see him fighting for a rematch with him . Joshua has a good win on Saturday but not really great was it ...

Who’s he been in with and stopped who are elite world fighters ?
Only a 40 year old vlad who was damaged goods after fury gave him a boxing lesson even then he very nearly popped Joshua out . He went points with a very average Joseph Parker who has turned out to be well not so good . He struggled with old man povetkin until stamina caught up with the Russian . Carlos takam Dominic breazeale and the great Charles Martin . World class ? Do me a favour . His best fight was against dillian whyte but I don’t see him fighting for a rematch with him . Joshua has a good win on Saturday but not really great was it ...
"Damaged goods from Fury" Haha! Did you watch that fight, how do you work out that he damaged him? So many people kissed Fury's arse for a similar performance and when Joshua boxes his way to landslide victory, "ah it's boring". People saying that are really just giving away the only reason they tuned in... and they have the cheek to prattle on about casuals.

For the Wlad fight, Joshua had the excuse of being relatively green and he did what Tyson couldn't against a better version of Wlad(a hungrier Wlad, who always comes back strong from a loss), he stopped him. The idea that he looked over the hill in that fight, compared to the Fury one at least, is a complete fallacy from people who only think they know boxing. He looked in better shape if anything and not gun shy at all. This all while Joshua was still relatively green. Bitter haters may try, but there's no taking away how special that win was and what it did for boxing.

Also the point was Joshua is better against taller fighters, he made a bad argument, for anyone who's watched Joshua's fights and noticed the pattern with the fighters he used to struggle against. Why even list Charles Martin and the other names you mentioned(most of which were listed as good names for Wilder at one time) when nobody even mentioned them? His resume is better than Fury's and Wilders, I made it clear the calibre of fighter I was talking about. He may not have stopped all 5 but 3 is still more than anyone else at heavyweight, for that level of fighter. Fury hasn't stopped anyone elite, Wilder's win over Ortiz(can't count as two) is worse than Joshua's stoppages against Wlad and Povetkin, both younger and in better shape(the third is Whyte). Both better boxers in my view too.

It wasn't his most exciting fight but there was no knocking that performance for any real boxing fan without a grudge, plenty to appreciate in that fight.

Last edited:
"Damaged goods from Fury" Haha! Did you watch that fight, how do you work out that he damaged him? So many people kissed Fury's arse for a similar performance and when Joshua boxes his way to landslide victory, "ah it's boring". People saying that are really just giving away the only reason they tuned in... and they have the cheek to prattle on about casuals.

For the Wlad fight, Joshua had the excuse of being relatively green and he did what Tyson couldn't against a better version of Wlad(a hungrier Wlad, who always comes back strong from a loss), he stopped him. The idea that he looked over the hill in that fight, compared to the Fury one at least, is a complete fallacy from people who only think they know boxing. He looked in better shape if anything and not gun shy at all. This all while Joshua was still relatively green. Bitter haters may try, but there's no taking away how special that win was and what it did for boxing.

Also the point was Joshua is better against taller fighters, he made a bad argument, for anyone who's watched Joshua's fights and noticed the pattern with the fighters he used to struggle against. Why even list Charles Martin and the other names you mentioned(most of which were listed as good names for Wilder at one time) when nobody even mentioned them? His resume is better than Fury's and Wilders, I made it clear the calibre of fighter I was talking about. He may not have stopped all 5 but 3 is still more than anyone else at heavyweight, for that level of fighter. Fury hasn't stopped anyone elite, Wilder's win over Ortiz(can't count as two) is worse than Joshua's stoppages against Wlad and Povetkin, both younger and in better shape(the third is Whyte). Both better boxers in my view too.

It wasn't his most exciting fight but there was no knocking that performance for any real boxing fan without a grudge, plenty to appreciate in that fight.
Wouldn’t say better version of vlad because fury made him look very ordinary . tbh I don’t really rate wilder either but Ortiz is a better fighter than most of Joshua’s opponents so to say wilders resume is weak is not right . This is how bad the hype around Joshua is that if he fought a rabbit it would sell Wembley out . Truth be told I the top 4 should be put in a tournament and we will see how good they really are because at the moment fury and wilder are the only ones really wanting to fight each other . Who would your top 4 be fella ?

Wouldn’t say better version of vlad because fury made him look very ordinary . tbh I don’t really rate wilder either but Ortiz is a better fighter than most of Joshua’s opponents so to say wilders resume is weak is not right . This is how bad the hype around Joshua is that if he fought a rabbit it would sell Wembley out . Truth be told I the top 4 should be put in a tournament and we will see how good they really are because at the moment fury and wilder are the only ones really wanting to fight each other . Who would your top 4 be fella ?
He's really not though, Wlad and Povetkin were younger when AJ fought them, despite Ortiz's listed age, the situation in Cuba and the olympics is known(the reason their d.o.b gets brought forward 5years or so) and some sources say he's between 45-48. They were more proven fighters too because although the excuse was "he's avoided"(because he was on steroids mostly)who has he really beat of note? They were in better shape and better boxers in my view aswell.

Ortiz can box but his power is his best asset, especially at this end of his career. I rate him but you're overrating him by saying he's better than most of Joshua's opponents. Unless you mean his less relevant opponents? I can give you twice as many "tomato cans" that Wilder has fought in his 43 fights, Ortiz was his first big risk and that was his 40th fight(sorry but you're on to a loser there). Everyone becomes a bad boxer after AJ beats them unfortunately, your posts certainly have a whiff of that about them. It was a bit ironic how you stated Parker has turned out to be "not so good" when his only losses are to AJ and Whyte, with maybe Ruiz Jr added to that list who didn't get the decision on the night but should have in some peoples eyes. None of them are bad fighters to lose to and he is only 27, time will tell if those losses will define him though, personally I think a protected 0 is worth less than a draw or a loss against someone decent. He's not a bad boxer at all for me.

Top 4? I think it's more of a top 3 and that answer is easy Fury, AJ , Wilder, the order is not really important they have to fight each other, the interesting thing about it is they are all beatable(none of them are perfect). I know he didn't start well but Usyk is the guy I have my eye on outside of that pack, he'll need to have more fights to grow into the weight but it will be interesting if he can adjust and get comfortable at the weight. Some people say he's too small but at 6ft 3 he's not the shortest heavyweight, it just depends if he can absorb the kind of power dished out.

Wilder's resume isn't weak but it's the weakest of the 3(with AJ's being the strongest), much the same way as he's not a terrible boxer but he's clearly the worst boxer of the 3. He hasn't needed to rely on anything but his right hand power, and it's easy to see why he fell in love with his power and neglected other areas of his game coming up. I did give credit for becoming much more measured and clean with that right hand since he fought Fury, he's sharpened his biggest weapon and made it more dangerous... Still though, much like how people went over the top for him learning how to jab properly 30 fights in(it's still nothing special, even at heavyweight), some go over the top with the praise. Maybe it's to balance out the stick he gets but the same goes for AJ and the ridiculous comments he gets which are far more unwarranted.

Last edited:
He's really not though, Wlad and Povetkin were younger when AJ fought them, despite Ortiz's listed age, the situation in Cuba and the olympics is known(the reason their d.o.b gets brought forward 5years or so) and some sources say he's between 45-48. They were more proven fighters too because although the excuse was "he's avoided"(because he was on steroids mostly)who has he really beat of note? They were in better shape and better boxers in my view too. Ortiz can box but his power is his best asset, especially at this end of his career. I rate him but you're severely overrating him by saying he's better than most of Joshua's opponents. Unless you mean his less relevant opponents? I can give you twice as many "tomato cans" that Wilder has fought in his 43 fights, Ortiz was his first big risk and that was his 40th fight(sorry but you're on to a loser there). Everyone becomes a bad boxer after AJ beats him unfortunately, your posts certainly have a whiff of that about them. It was a bit ironic how you stated Parker has turned out to be "not so good" when his only losses are to AJ and Whyte, with maybe Ruiz Jr added to that list. None of them are bad fighters to lose to and he is only 27, time will tell if those losses will define him though, personally I think a protect 0 is worth less than a draw or a loss against someone decent.

Top 4? I think it's more of a top 3 and that answer is easy Fury, AJ , Wilder, the order is not really important they have to fight each other, the interesting thing about it is they are all beatable(none of them are perfect). I know he didn't start well but Usyk is the guy I have my eye on outside of that pack, he'll need to have more fights to grow into the weight but it will be interesting if he can adjust and get comfortable at the weight. Some people say he's too small but at 6ft 3 he's not the shortest heavyweight, it just depends if he can absorb the kind of power dished out.

Wilder's resume isn't weak but it's the weakest of the 3(with AJ's being the strongest), much the same way as he's not a terrible boxer but he's clearly the worst boxer of the 3. He hasn't needed to rely on anything but his right hand power, and it's easy to see why he fell in love with his power and neglected other areas of his game coming up. I did give credit for becoming much more measured and clean with that right hand since he fought Fury, he's sharpened his biggest weapon and made it more dangerous... Still though, much like how people went over the top for him learning how to jab properly 30 fights in(it's still nothing special, even at heavyweight), some go over the top with the praise. Maybe it's to balance out the stick he gets but the same goes for AJ and the ridiculous comments he gets which are far more unwarranted.
We both agree on usyk then .,I think if he adapts he is the best heavyweight by a mile

Andy Ruiz jnr never in his wildest dreams thought he would be heavyweight champion in the first place so and rightly so he has milked it and changed his life I mean isn’t that the reason they fight anyway. I doubt he was bothered whether he won or lost tbh because he is secure for life . He will now go back to selling stadiums out with non boxing fans fighting bums because that is the new boxing way. Let’s look at his options now
1.third fight with Ruiz jnr makes sense as every fighter needs a trilogy and he is only 1-1 at the moment . Good pay check for Ruiz jnr aswell.
2.usyk. He will want to stay clear of usyk because the movement of him will baffle Joshua.
3 Tyson fury . If Tyson is on song it would be an easy nights work for him.
4. Wilder . Joshua will avoid wilder now as he would have to go to war with him and that won’t end well .
5.whyte. Another dangerous fight for Joshua because of the bad blood which whyte would use to lure Joshua into a war.
6.ortiz , pulev , povetkin , hughie fury . Probable opponents as they are names and easy wins.
7.dubios and hunter and hrgovic . Good young fighters who would all beat Joshua .
Not much out there for Joshua tbh so Eddie will really have to do a good job for him now .

Hi Deontay, Hope you're well.

1. No need for a 3rd fight as the second was not even close, similar to why Lewis and Rahman never had a 3rd.
2. He might not have a choice as he is mandatory.
3. What has Tyson done to give you that idea since his 2-year coke binge? He's fought a few doormen and was very lucky that Wilder was poor against him but still managed to be put on his arse twice.
4. Wilder has recently come out saying the fight doesn't interest him, so basically shit out.
5. Can't see any other result than the last fight.
6. either you're on the windup or clueless
7. see above

Hi Deontay, Hope you're well.

1. No need for a 3rd fight as the second was not even close, similar to why Lewis and Rahman never had a 3rd.
2. He might not have a choice as he is mandatory.
3. What has Tyson done to give you that idea since his 2-year coke binge? He's fought a few doormen and was very lucky that Wilder was poor against him but still managed to be put on his arse twice.
4. Wilder has recently come out saying the fight doesn't interest him, so basically shit out.
5. Can't see any other result than the last fight.
6. either you're on the windup or clueless
7. see above

Fury had 2 year coke binge and still totally outboxed Wilder. Even out of shape he is the only man to get up off his arse after being put down by Wilder.
Wder was not poor against Fury, he was just not good enough to beat him as Fury is so much of a better boxer.

Wilder is a terrible boxer full stop, if he can't get that right hand in he's fucked, he has no jab, he has no footwork, he has no head movement, and he has been rocked when he's been caught and doesn't have great punch resistance
It's no surprise anyone who enjoys boxing for what it's all about, the purists if you like which is hitting but not getting hit, don't rate him
If AJ boxed against Wilder the same way he did against Ruiz, 9 times out of 10 he wins, I would like to see Wilder give Ruiz a shot if the Fury fight can't be made as I think Ruiz has the best chin in the division and when Wilder lands his right it would be interesting to see how he reacts, it won't happen though as Wilder won't want any piece of Ruiz as he can't move well enough to avoid his preasure and would get caught by Ruiz eventually
I'm not an AJ lover but you can't accuse him of avoiding fighters, Wilder on the other hand you can't say the same, he has dodged Whyte for years and has plenty of bums on his record, he only took the Fury fight because he thought he was washed up and anyone holding Ortiz up as a credible opponent you might as well have Shannon Briggs in the mix to

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.