The Bridge Conundrum

cucumberman

Should Wayne Bridge stay or go?

after looking at countless hashline fantasy squad formations in here, finding Bridge in the squad is a rarity these days, unlike say last year.

We all know that LB is the weakest part of our chain, adding that Bridge, although played his part well even during times when his head feels like a vuvuzela, is not good enough to bring us into title challengers.

first off, I have great respect for the man, but is our reluctance in wanting him to leave stemmed from thinking that he hasn't do us any harm and has been a loyal player.

so I'm going to take it off my chest now as I know Bridge will not be pleased as a benchwarmer. he's a great player, but not one who we entrust our defence with. so, for me, he's not the man for the job.

or, was his play disjointed because he has barry near him?

He should not be a starter. We need a better left-back. Tolmie said we're not neglecting defenders in our transfer targets so hopefully those are full backs not centre backs which we arguably don't need.

I was a Bridge defender but just can't defend his quality anymore.

As a defender he is middle of the line and often far too easily beat.

Attacking-wise, his cross success percentage was legitimately close to 0% last season. As of April, he'd tried 40-odd crosses and not a single one had reached a City player.

Our full-back areas were easily exploited all season, teams would just hoof it diagonally, find loads of space, then send a cross in. Must be fixed.

Whilst I would agree that left back is a position we need to strengthen, it wouldn't be my no.1 priority. The creative central mid-fielder is the first position that needs to be addressed. With more midfield options available to Mancini in the last 6 weeks of the season I think we would have got that 4th spot.
Bridge is 29 now and has no serious competetion for his place at this moment in time. There won't be many clubs willing to pay his kind of wages & I don't see him being the type to bang on the managers door making demands about regular pitch time. Never heard any stories of him being disruptive at any of his previous clubs either.

We could potentially be playing 55 games next season & the two quality players for every position is vital for us to have a chance in competing seriously for all the trohphies available. This approach is the same as Bridge was used to at Chelsea.

I also happen to think Bridge had a much better season last year (in the same team as Barry) than the previous half a season when Robinho was positioned in front of him. My only real critism of Bridge is his final ball in the attacking third of the pitch. He can get into some very useful positions, but his crossing and through ball have been below par most of the time.

Don't know why anyone rates this guy. His distribution, crossing, choice of pass etc is appalling. He's also the most one-footed player you could ever see, looks like he's going to fall over at any moment when running with the ball, he's awful. A bad signing, and one that we will struggle to offload, given what his wages must be. But we need better.

shaiomarali said:
Should Wayne Bridge stay or go?

after looking at countless hashline fantasy squad formations in here, finding Bridge in the squad is a rarity these days, unlike say last year.

We all know that LB is the weakest part of our chain, adding that Bridge, although played his part well even during times when his head feels like a vuvuzela, is not good enough to bring us into title challengers.

first off, I have great respect for the man, but is our reluctance in wanting him to leave stemmed from thinking that he hasn't do us any harm and has been a loyal player.

so I'm going to take it off my chest now as I know Bridge will not be pleased as a benchwarmer. he's a great player, but not one who we entrust our defence with. so, for me, he's not the man for the job.

or, was his play disjointed because he has barry near him?

He was for Chelsea and England under Ashley Cole, I think he's just fine being a bench warmer. I think he'd make decent cover for Kolarov ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.