The British Monarchy

Tax payers money pays for the upkeep of all the historic houses and the King is caretaker of what is ultimately the wealth of the nation.
You can go and visit most of the castles, houses even Buckingham Palace if you want to pretend you live there, they are open to the public.
We pay them to meet and greet the public on our behalf certainly plenty of people delighted to see the King in Southport

Tax payers money pays for the upkeep of all the historic houses and the King is caretaker of what is ultimately the wealth of the nation.
You can go and visit most of the castles, houses even Buckingham Palace if you want to pretend you live there, they are open to the public.
We pay them to meet and greet the public on our behalf certainly plenty of people delighted to see the King in Southport

Highly inaccurate. For example, Windsor Castle belongs to the king or the royal family not the nation, which is why you can visit the gallery of Buckingham Palace as the ticket income paid for the repairs to Windsor after the fire and for other upkeep.
Sandringham and Balmoral Castle are the private property of the king……etc.

Last edited:
Would you elect a head of state? Would your church and state be separated?
What would happen to their state assets? Properties etc.

I'm no republican, but it's clear the case for having a royal family is diminishing over time and I imagine all those problems are solvable. I am more worried that such a significant constitutional change would be fucked up by "politicians". If we have learned anything in the last decade it must be that structural changes must have overwhelming support and be properly thought through. I have zero confidence in the British political class to see that through. I am much more confident that keeping the royal family will cause much less chaos, tbh.

Not a massive Royalist but there are some positives which I think still out weigh the need to get rid of them. Off the top of my head, they make the country a fortune from American Tourists.
The TV speech the queen gave during covid "we will meet again" helped a lot of people get through a very difficult time. They still have that power. King Charles may lack some personality but William and Kate qould make an excellent King and Queen.
They do a lot of good work publicising charities, etc.

I'm no republican, but it's clear the case for having a royal family is diminishing over time and I imagine all those problems are solvable. I am more worried that such a significant constitutional change would be fucked up by "politicians". If we have learned anything in the last decade it must be that structural changes must have overwhelming support and be properly thought through. I have zero confidence in the British political class to see that through. I am much more confident that keeping the royal family will cause much less chaos, tbh.
Australia had a referendum on becoming a republic a few years ago. Despite a decent majority in favour of the idea, they voted it down. Why? Because the politicians buggered it up by reserving the right to elect the president to themselves in parliament and not elected directly by the people.

Australia had a referendum on becoming a republic a few years ago. Despite a decent majority in favour of the idea, they voted it down. Why? Because the politicians buggered it up by reserving the right to elect the president to themselves in parliament and not elected directly by the people.

That was the only reason?

That was the only reason?
Well no, there are always multiple reasons but most commentators put the election method as the most common one for switching from yes to no.
Public opinion was in favour before that decision.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.