The Citytv commentary

ZanteWeatherman

Team supported
Manchester City
Is it just me?

Can't listen to the commentator. Trying to put on a Spanish or some horrific 'foreign(ish)' accent/dialect when he pronounces the players names - some of us can actually speak other languages so it isn't impressive. Just watched last nights highlights and had to turn the sound off just after half time.....for example: FernanJinio (where the f*** does the j come from, MarcoSH LopeSH, Alvaro NegreTHo and last match it was SAIRKIO Aguero - ffs.

He ain't Spanish and as a listener (and a Manc), I just want simplicity and to enjoy an important part of the replay without affectation - just do the commentary in a normal manner without sounding like a twat. Sorry, just my personal opinion as I can't listen to it (so indeed won't). As I said, Is it just me?

Rant over.

ZanteWeatherman said:
Is it just me?

Can't listen to the commentator. Trying to put on a Spanish or some horrific 'foreign(ish)' accent/dialect when he pronounces the players names - some of us can actually speak other languages so it isn't impressive. Just watched last nights highlights and had to turn the sound off just after half time.....for example: FernanJinio (where the f*** does the j come from, MarcoSH LopeSH, Alvaro NegreTHo and last match it was SAIRKIO Aguero - ffs.

He ain't Spanish and as a listener (and a Manc), I just want simplicity and to enjoy an important part of the replay without affectation - just do the commentary in a normal manner without sounding like a twat. Sorry, just my personal opinion as I can't listen to it (so indeed won't). As I said, Is it just me?

Rant over.

i agree mate really does my head in

It's not just you, it makes me grit my teeth and snarl a bit!

Still, at least he's trying to pronounce authentically, whereas the BBC's John Motson............

TBF, he is probably conscious of viewers from all over the world and feels the need to pronounce the names the way the players would themselves.

I hate his voice & commentating, but I actually respect him for trying to pronounce names correctly...A complaint that foreigners always say about English speakers is that they make no effort in saying their names properly.

I remember one video I saw of Kun thinking it was very funny how we pronounce his name. I'm sure he prefers the way our commentator would say it.

Names, aside he IS a shite commentator, and his voice is grating.

What's the problem? He's saying the names pretty accurately. (D in portuguese sounds like j sometimes, the sh in lopes is nearly spot on, etc)

I don't mind that my club attempts to pronounce its employees' names properly on its public website.

Edit: To answer your question, OP, this is where the 'J' comes from:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.forvo.com/word/fernandinho/#pt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.forvo.com/word/fernandinho/#pt</a>

At least he's trying, unlike us fans! It's not the pronounciation that annoys me. It's the shit commentating.

ZanteWeatherman said:
Is it just me?

Rant over.

I much prefer SAIRKIO AHUERRO tbh

I see your point about his voice but I don't agree with how he says ere names ..he should pronounce there names properly which he is doing..why should he have to say it wrong just to please you? Manny people complain that commentators don't pronounce names correctly..this time he is and it's respectful to try to say it properly and I prefer it that way

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.