The Coach who wasnt a horse

nijinsky

Can I recommend Jonathan Wilson's "Inverting the Pyramid" to fellow blues? Here are a couple of paragraphs chosen completely at random. Just to get a feel for his style.

“ … [Parma] may have gone out [ of the cup] to Atalanta in the quarter-final, and they may not have won a single game away from home in the league that season, but Silvio Berlusconi, who had bought Milan earlier in the year, was impressed by what he had seen. He, too, had dreams of greatness and seems to have bought into Sacchi’s idealism. “A manager,” Sacchi said, “can only make a difference if he has a club that backs him, that is patient, that gives confidence to the players and that is willing to commit long-term. And, in my case, that doesn’t just want to win, but win convincingly. And then you need the players with that mentality. Early on at Milan I was helped greatly by Ruud Gullit, because he had that mentality.”

Still the problem of credibility remained. Sacchi admitted he could barely believe he was there, but responded tartly to those who suggested somebody who had never been a professional footballer – Berlusconi, who had played amateur football to a reasonable level, was probably a better player – could never succeed as a coach. “A jockey,” he said, “doesn’t have to have been born a horse.”

nijinsky said:
Can I recommend Jonathan Wilson's "Inverting the Pyramid" to fellow blues? Here are a couple of paragraphs chosen completely at random. Just to get a feel for his style.

“ … [Parma] may have gone out [ of the cup] to Atalanta in the quarter-final, and they may not have won a single game away from home in the league that season, but Silvio Berlusconi, who had bought Milan earlier in the year, was impressed by what he had seen. He, too, had dreams of greatness and seems to have bought into Sacchi’s idealism. “A manager,” Sacchi said, “can only make a difference if he has a club that backs him, that is patient, that gives confidence to the players and that is willing to commit long-term. And, in my case, that doesn’t just want to win, but win convincingly. And then you need the players with that mentality. Early on at Milan I was helped greatly by Ruud Gullit, because he had that mentality.”

Still the problem of credibility remained. Sacchi admitted he could barely believe he was there, but responded tartly to those who suggested somebody who had never been a professional footballer – Berlusconi, who had played amateur football to a reasonable level, was probably a better player – could never succeed as a coach. “A jockey,” he said, “doesn’t have to have been born a horse.”

lol this is fucking crazy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.