The Conservative Party/Government

That will be terribly difficult to do if the next election is in 2025. That will be nine years after the Brexit referendum and over 50 years since the 1970s; might as well make rationing and National Service issues.

Labour are playing a straight bat by saying they now want ‘to make the best of Brexit’, and even the Liberal Democrats have settled on the vague ‘closer European cooperation’, so I suspect Brexit just won’t resonate.

Parts of the media would like it to be an issue because that is in their interest, but I sense the Opposition parties realise that the Government is running out of steam and will ultimately run out of time. They cannot accelerate its downfall, so they don’t need to put forward shiny new policies, just sit back and wait. Those on the right will hate that prospect, but it’s looking ever more likely.
Fully agree with that. I think the Tories will do what I said but I think they will fail.
Fucking hope so anyway.

Fully agree with that. I think the Tories will do what I said but I think they will fail.
Fucking hope so anyway.
I’m working on the assumption that the next General Election will not now be until January 2025, so the latest possible time, and by then the only issue will be the economy, which would traditionally be a Conservative strength.

The country is sliding into recession, however, and the war in Ukraine will be protracted, meaning food, fuel, and energy prices will remain high, could even rise further. How long that all runs into 2023-24 will dictate how much time the Government has to effect a recovery, but if the recession becomes deep, it simply won’t have long enough.

Raab was on the Today programme on Radio 4.

Think Dowden’s resignation was timed so as to maximize Government embarrassment; they would all have gone to bed thinking he would be doing the morning rounds.

Having thought about things for a bit, I think this is a certainty.

My guess would have been that person or persons vented at Dowden over the previous 12 hours or so, and it's a very polite piece of revenge to do the 'honourable' thing and drop them in it, knowing that to field anyone else they'd have to get a minister up early at short notice.

Having thought about things for a bit, I think this is a certainty.

My guess would have been that person or persons vented at Dowden over the previous 12 hours or so, and it's a very polite piece of revenge to do the 'honourable' thing and drop them in it, knowing that to field anyone else they'd have to get a minister up early at short notice.
It had been well known inside the party for weeks that he was going to lose his position in the coming reshuffle, irrespective of last night’s results, and he would have known from inside polling how disastrous things were looking. Turns out that revenge is a dish best served cold and served before breakfast, too.

Just been listening to question time while being bored extracting sales data at work and only just realised that the slogan "offended by everything, embarrassed by nothing" that i frequently use when talking to Liverpool fans is equally applicable to the Tory Party

Sick of hearing Gary Neviille commenting on politics, it shouldn't be allowed.
Maybe he should run the country

Why?

Should you only be allowed to talk about blue cricket?
Hes a summariser for Sky but he pretends he knows everything about other stuff.
I'm not suggesting he shouldn't have opinion but he shouldn't be going to social media every time there is a bye election result, he should have some moral responsibility.
For me people who work in the media shouldn't be posting on social media.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.