The Conservative Party/Government

At the moment the governments argument to not implement a windfall tax is because it will impact investment. But why will it? Borrowing is still cheap, these companies have ample access to cashflow and not a single public company ever reinvests its profit because they give profit to shareholders as dividends and then they borrow money for investment. So what they're really arguing to protect is the impact on share prices and dividends.

I'm in two minds about a windfall tax, not because I agree with these companies making tons of money but because I think the government will just waste it and so what was the point? I'd much rather force companies to reward employees with profit bonuses or to just pay them more. The company I work for made £2.2bn last year in profit, they've offered us 2.5% this year and it took the unions threatening action to get us to 3.5% which still isn't enough and we're lucky to get anything compared to others!

What we really need, especially in energy, is a proper regulator that monitors gas prices and is dynamic enough to step in to change the price cap where required. We don't have that, instead we have a regulator that responds to daily price fluctuations on an annual basis, it's pathetic and not fit for purpose. If gas prices fall tomorrow by 99% then there is nothing to stop the energy companies from charging me and you yesterday's prices for it. The same has happened to oil, petrol prices are still amongst the highest ever but oil prices fell months ago.

We also have dickheads running our financial system, prime example is that guy at the BoE who actually said that we should reject pay rises to contain inflation. It's literally unbelievable and just shows how completely out of touch the ruling class is who only exist to protect the club they're far too invested in.

Fair points. I’d not pay a blind bit of attention to what Johnson and co give as their reasons for not doing so, I’d also not be surprised to see them u-turn on this either as they seem to lack the words of their convictions. Or maybe just lack any convictions… oh wait nope they got a few convictions recently

Fair points. I’d not pay a blind bit of attention to what Johnson and co give as their reasons for not doing so, I’d also not be surprised to see them u-turn on this either as they seem to lack the words of their convictions. Or maybe just lack any convictions… oh wait nope they got a few convictions recently

Or when the Sue Gray report emerges next week.

So basically The Met Police have told The Tories they can do the fuck they want without repercussions

Reactions: mat

So basically The Met Police have told The Tories they can do the fuck they want without repercussions

They are getting on with the important stuff - saving Johnsons arse instead of saving the country

Reactions: mat
a few days ago the Mail were lamenting this was a world wide issue beyond the control of the Govt and blaming the BoE !!

a few days ago the Mail were lamenting this was a world wide issue beyond the control of the Govt and blaming the BoE !!

The same Daily Heil trolling the poor with their "Win your energy bills paid for a year!" Competition.

The reason they're not doing it is because, according to a No 10 spokesman, It's against tory principles.

They're happy to have millions of people choosing between eating and heating, many contributing to the excess profits of the energy companies as they struggle to afford the costs of going to work, but that's our government for you.

Huingry and cold people are less meaningful than big fat bonuses and dividends.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.