The Corner Shop

Anyone remember Catlows on Abbey Hey Lane Gorton?

I used to get 5 Woodbines for my mam when I was six.

img|

Swimming against the tide on this thread.

They are more expensive (than a supermarket), of course, but they are a lifeline for many people, especially now.

There are three Tesco Metro branches within walking distance from my house.

I once had to tell the gentleman three times that I wanted one pint of milk. His English was that bad that he couldn’t understand.

In the current climate I am wary of the supermarket and the milling hoardes. So I use the village shop. It's brilliant.
I was brought up at a time when the old style English corner shop was convenient but not much cop. For a start, it was shut half the time.
Then there was the "Asian Corner Shop Revolution." Oh what a joy. Open 7am till 9pm, plenty of good stuff, a friendly and helpful family to serve you.
My local shop is great. The guy who runs it can chat all day about football (he supports England), cricket (he supports Pakistan), and plenty more besides. Only drawback, he supports Liverpool. Ugh!
His son supplies the shop with home made curries, bhajis etc.cheaper and better than the local takeaway.
At this difficult time, the corner shop is a lifeline. Give it a go.
We too have a local Mart that is brilliant. Great people and I have offered to help carry stuff from the delivery vans in. The Mrs us there today helping keep the line safe.

There is a series (one of a great series itself called Back in Time) on BBC i player called 'Back in time for the corner shop'. Very informative and will remind you of so much (if you are as old as me). Have a look if you have the time :)

I’m a ashamed that it has taken this horrible situation for me to shop local. It is all too easy to just nip to Tesco’s, Morrison’s etc.

I’m now getting milk from a milkman twice a week, I’m getting all my fruit and veg from the local outdoor market, I’m using the local shop for the rest of my things. After all this, I’m going to carry on using these as they have been there for us during this time. None of them have taken the piss with pricing either. I have been in a supermarket once in the past month now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.