The Courteeners

blue81 said:
Listen- obviously a lot of the younger blues on here think they're good, most people a little bit older don't get it and think the music is very dull and they have limited talent.

My issue was Utd using this as an official song and this lot happily allowing it- I personally think it's career suicide as their fanbase is mostly mancunian.

Myself and the other half are both 43 and we think they're a good band. They're even better live - the gig at Blackpool's Winter Gardens last month was awesome. It's all about opinions of course but I don't get the "very dull" bit - most of their songs are anything but dull and have the knack of bringing the roof off whatever venue they're playing at.

As for it being career suicide to use the song as a United anthem, well I might not be looking forward to hearing it too much when I go and see them on July 6th as the Rags in the crowd will no doubt lap it up but career suicide? Hardly. I don't ever recall Oasis alienating the United supporting contingent of their following whenever Liam or Noel banged on about City which was pretty much all the time, or the Stone Roses alienating the City supporting contingent of their following whenever Ian Brown or Mani banged on about United which again was quite often. In contrast, Liam Fray rarely talks about United.

To be honest, letting football tribalism interfere with your musical taste is a bit sad and petty.

Lucky Toma said:
What's with your obsession with hair? Ziggy Stardust had a shocker of a barnet. Is Bowie shite too because of that?

Of course not Toma....Bowie's shit because of his annoying voice....come to think of it much like Thom Yorke actually!!

;-)

Lucky Toma said:
What's with your obsession with hair? Ziggy Stardust had a shocker of a barnet. Is Bowie shite too because of that?
Just find the Manc pudding bowl ridiculous.

Look at the state of Leighton Baines.

Hahaha with Bowie I prefer 'distinctive' ;)

I dont believe in a God but if I did I'd say that the big man accidentally made Yorke into the worst kind of snivelling, whiny, pretentious, surly twat imaginable then felt bad straight after so added a voice I'd kill a pensioner for.

M18CTID said:
blue81 said:
Listen- obviously a lot of the younger blues on here think they're good, most people a little bit older don't get it and think the music is very dull and they have limited talent.

My issue was Utd using this as an official song and this lot happily allowing it- I personally think it's career suicide as their fanbase is mostly mancunian.

Myself and the other half are both 43 and we think they're a good band. They're even better live - the gig at Blackpool's Winter Gardens last month was awesome. It's all about opinions of course but I don't get the "very dull" bit - most of their songs are anything but dull and have the knack of bringing the roof off whatever venue they're playing at.

As for it being career suicide to use the song as a United anthem, well I might not be looking forward to hearing it too much when I go and see them on July 6th as the Rags in the crowd will no doubt lap it up but career suicide? Hardly. I don't ever recall Oasis alienating the United supporting contingent of their following whenever Liam or Noel banged on about City which was pretty much all the time, or the Stone Roses alienating the City supporting contingent of their following whenever Ian Brown or Mani banged on about United which again was quite often. In contrast, Liam Fray rarely talks about United.

To be honest, letting football tribalism interfere with your musical taste is a bit sad and petty.

Thats fine there are some bands I love that you and others will probably hate too- I have no issues with that.

Liam/Noel knew their limits and were very good at cashing in i.e becoming 'massive blues' when it suited them when we were shite (the period Noel was seen more often at Highbury than Maine Road) but would they actively put a song out to raise money for city/goad other clubs? I think they were too financially motivated to do that as it would have pissed many utd fans off. Each to their own- I would never buy any Courteeners stuff previously purely on (lack of) musical ability- I definitely wouldn't now!

Sheikh said:
Lucky Toma said:
Just find the Manc pudding bowl ridiculous.

Look at the state of Leighton Baines.

Haha fair enough mate. Have to agree that Baines tests my argument to the limit - he could retire from football and make the modern-day version of Pet Sounds and I'd give it the briefest of listens.

blue81 said:
peoffrey said:
blue81 said:
There is little/no hype outside of Manchester believe me- hence the reason why they get little or no national/international recognition in terms of awards of success. We are desperate to find the next New Order, Smiths, Oasis etc etc that we blow some very average bands up hence the reason why The Courteeners exist.

They sold out Brixton Academy quickly. It's a little bigger than the Apollo.

selling out venues 3k or 4k tickets (mostly ex pat Mancs) - hardly makes them the rolling stones- as I said nationally they get the airplay/awards/exposure their music deserves- very little.

The fact you have to mention The Stones largely proves my point. New bands don't sell out Hyde Park as quickly as the old bands do - and their constant touring for the money ensures new bands won't break through.

Sheikh said:
Incredibly average band that will never make it.

St Jude - #4 in the UK album chart.
Falcon - #6 in the UK album chart.
Anna - #6 in the UK album chart.

Now I'm not Simon Cowell but that seems to indicate they "made it", maybe not as popular as other bands, but still an achievement.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.