The Courteeners

4 pages of criticism and not one suitable alternative offered aside from vague mentions of Arctic Monkeys. I must admit I'm not enjoying Anna like I did Falcon! Still a good record though and I'm pleased they're Middleton boys like me.

Everything Everything, British Sea Power and Palma Violets have released my favourite new albums this year.

Sheikh said:
MCFC BOB said:
Sheikh said:
This may be but the corn in his shit could pen a better song than these Gallagher wannabes with their stupid indie haircuts.
I thoroughly agree with you, but if Toma likes them then Toma likes them. Some songs mean more to certain people than they do to us. I could tell you have I have a deep connection to this song for several reasons, but you could think it's dull and formless.
Lasted just over two minutes with that. Pretentious wank.
What makes it pretentious? It's just a guy on a keyboard.

To be honest I think they're wank, nothing interesting about their music at all its just boring guitar shite done to death 20 years ago.

Manchestercitychorlton said:
To be honest I think they're wank, nothing interesting about their music at all its just boring guitar shite done to death 20 years ago.

Hence why Manchester is in a bit of a musical wilderness right now- too many liam/brownie clones knocking about.

Good band from near me called MDNGHT who seem to buck that trend, juist been signed and released a single I believe.

alib said:
The Quangos - best Manchester band for years

Thing is alib - (and I saw them at city square actually and thought they were ok) - again - the hair- the dress- why?? It's like a uniform of every band from this city!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIsUDDzcQbM[/youtube]

blue81 said:
alib said:
The Quangos - best Manchester band for years

Thing is alib - (and I saw them at city square actually and thought they were ok) - again - the hair- the dress- why?? It's like a uniform of every band from this city!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIsUDDzcQbM[/youtube]

I wouldn't say The Longcut, Delphic, Egyptian Hip-Hop or Everything Everything fit into that box, nor do emerging acts like Clockwork Radio, The Narrows, Patterns, Pins, Shinies etc.

Shands said:
I wouldn't say The Longcut, Delphic, Egyptian Hip-Hop or Everything Everything fit into that box, nor do emerging acts like Clockwork Radio, The Narrows, Patterns, Pins, Shinies etc.

I don't yet know half of the artists and bands you've mentioned but Delphic are nothing new. They do what they do well but it's just Dance Rock.

peoffrey said:
Shands said:

I don't yet know half of the artists and bands you've mentioned but Delphic are nothing new. They do what they do well but it's just Dance Rock.

I wasn't suggesting they were innovative Peoffrey, just pointing out that they and the other bands mentioned don't fit into that lad-rock, haircut/dress code persona that BB2 was getting at. In actuality If you throw in bands like Nine Black Alps, The Ting-Tings and May68, I'd say that over the last decade the majority of bands from the north west that have broken through and reached nationwide audiences have actively shunned the cities perceived image. The Courteeners and perhaps Twisted Wheel being the exceptions to the rule.

Just as an aside I would take slight issue with Delphic being purely a dance-rock band though; the latest album is very pop, hip-hop and r&b influenced, but I take your overall point.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.