The damned united.

they won 1 more league, but we won the Cup Winners Cup so splitting hairs. Besides, I think history looks back on the time more favourably on Joe, and as a more honourable man than Don Readies (cough). If only Malcolm hadn't got too big for his boots...
There’s no question that Joe had a far better character than Revie (and a better % record as England manager!) but I’m not sure he’s regarded as a better club manager in the wider game, assuming that’s what you meant with your ‘history looking back’ turn of phrase.

Seeing as we’re splitting hairs, our average league position from 1966/7 (when we returned to the 1st division) to 1973/4 (when Revie left Leeds) was 10th; Leeds’ in the same period was 2nd. Which team would you say underperformed the most over that period?

There’s no question that Joe had a far better character than Revie (and a better % record as England manager!) but I’m not sure he’s regarded as a better club manager in the wider game, assuming that’s what you meant with your ‘history looking back’ turn of phrase.

Seeing as we’re splitting hairs, our average league position from 1966/7 (when we returned to the 1st division) to 1973/4 (when Revie left Leeds) was 10th; Leeds’ in the same period was 2nd. Which team would you say underperformed the most over that period?

I don't think either underperformed. Regarding history looking back more favourably on Joe, I mean in terms of his character, the way he conducted himself and the way we conducted ourselves compared to the "Don Readies" and "Dirty Leeds" labels which have stuck for decades on Leeds as a club. I think they're success was being overplayed, that doesn't mean they underperformed or weren't successful, they were, as were we, but whilst an average position of 2nd is great consistency, it's trophies that count, and much like us finishing 2nd in 12/13 and 14/15, it will look good in stats but both times we failed to kick on and retain the title and really garnish our golden period with a haul of trophies that sets the greats apart.

We unquestionably did; with that group of players and an average finish of 10th. I'm sure @OB1 will agree with me on this point!

oh well I'm not of that generation so the fact we won trophies in it is enough for me to give it a pass. If you're old to be my dad's age and remember it then fair enough. I think the likes of Gary James and co. have posted enough over the years about the tensions and backstabbing going on in the club after the initial success to understand why we perhaps didn't kick on, but then again when you were up against the likes of Dirty Leeds and Don's open wallet I'm not surprised we didn't either, bit like I wasn't surprised Mancini didn't retain the title...

oh well I'm not of that generation so the fact we won trophies in it is enough for me to give it a pass. If you're old to be my dad's age and remember it then fair enough. I think the likes of Gary James and co. have posted enough over the years about the tensions and backstabbing going on in the club after the initial success to understand why we perhaps didn't kick on, but then again when you were up against the likes of Dirty Leeds and Don's open wallet I'm not surprised we didn't either, bit like I wasn't surprised Mancini didn't retain the title...
I might be old enough to be your dad, but you post like you're old enough to be mine.

Shit it when someone bigger than him took exception to him though...

Bremner.jpg

Faux hard man meets the real thing. That dirty Leeds team was full of verminous twats.

We unquestionably did; with that group of players and an average finish of 10th. I'm sure @OB1 will agree with me on this point!

We were the best side by a mile in 1972 the year Derby won it no idea how we fell away. Bloody Gordon Banks playing out of his skin when Stoke beat us 2-1 at Maine Road helped.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.