The death of VAR

As an aside, just watched short highlights of the QPR game and my son noticed for the first time that Cisse's heel was probably offside from the original pass for their first goal - that is prior to Joleon's misjudgement

Perhaps VAR could have saved us a little bit of trauma, whilst simultaneously robbing us of the best moment ever

Based on one data point, I like the Italian VAR better than ours - Roma just got a penalty after the defender clearly touched the ball first, but it didn't go anywhere and he also scythed down Dzeko in the process. Not only did they give the penalty (probably wouldn't have in the Prem), but it took less than 30 seconds (would have been about 2 minutes in the Prem).

Based on one data point, I like the Italian VAR better than ours - Roma just got a penalty after the defender clearly touched the ball first, but it didn't go anywhere and he also scythed down Dzeko in the process. Not only did they give the penalty (probably wouldn't have in the Prem), but it took less than 30 seconds (would have been about 2 minutes in the Prem).
On the flipside they give handball penalties for almost any contact with the hand, regardless of circumstance.

Swings and roundabouts.

Wait does that mean that even with the option to watch multiple replays they still only had a 75% success rate?

It depends how you define success. If it's getting the right result for the chosen teams, then it's prob close to 100%

Cotswold Knight it is as I have said numerous times. VAR is fine, the problem will always be with officials who are running VAR back at VAR headquarters. They are the ones who we should be aiming our complaints to. They seem to be change their decisions from 1 week to the next. in one match it is a sending off in the next match it is a booking, just because a certain player will have to miss a big match so we won't send him off this time.

What's your view on VAR and offsides mate? The armpit offside stuff. It's not right, is it? By "not right" I mean not technically accurate

Just watching the final part of the FA cup I missed.
Just had the goalkeeper handball outside area incident

issue is not whether it was on/off, but that both the commentators were clearly reviewing pics/vids almost instantly, and discussing was it off, in-line etc. All within A few seconds of the incident, whilst the match went on.

why couldn’t we see them , they could have had a split screen showing the live action and the review that the tV crew were doing - especially in the absence of a live (open mic) feed from the VAR control room.
It wouldn’t take much to make VAR impartial and above innuendo and suspicion. Just get the mic on and the pics they are reviewing live. No - one will miss the words of the commentators in those few minutes.

... unless there’s other reasons not to mic up and have live feed from the VAR room...

You have to dispossess a player with a tackle if you bring them down afterwards - if not, it's still a pen. If the attacker would have to check their stride or step left or right then they have been dispossessed. This is in FIFA guidance - not that a PL VAR official would ever apply it if we were involved.

Last edited:
OP here again. Great debate on here - wish the media would deliver the same. I raised six points previously about how to improve VAR (if we must have it, which I assume is a given). But I can distill this down to three.

First, only "clear and obvious" errors should be reviewed so 30 seconds max for a review and - given frame speed and camera angle issues - the only offsides given should be where there is space between the attacking player and the last defender. (As a seperate issue the handball rule needs urgent reform).

Second, "peer review" by VAR officials should be entirely independent of Premier League officials. Getting your mates to review your decisions is a farce. FIFA should appoint a panel of three experienced officials none of whom are on the Premier League list of officials.

Third, just like in rugby league and cricket, the on field officials and VAR officials need to be miked up and their discussion broadcast in the stadium and to TV viewers.

I think this would solve most issues, but for me I would give ownership of reviews to the teams. So, as in cricket, each team could call for two reviews per game - retaining a review if it was successful and losing it if not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.