The death of VAR

I don't think the change would have prevented Jesus's goal being ruled out. Admittedly "immediately" still leaves room for interpretation but in reality I suspect it will mean the last player to touch it before it ends up with the goal scorer. From memory no one touched it after Laporte for the Jesus goal.

I think he's right. The explanatory note says this:

• it is not an offence if, after an accidental handball, the ball travels some distance (pass or dribble) and/or there are several passes before the goal or goal-scoring opportunity.

As the OP of this thread I just find VAR disrupts the game so much it tears the soul out of it. I know about the ridiculous 'new' handball rule. That's a separate stupid idea - possibly related to the introduction of VAR but let's put handball to one side. I actually was an advocate of VAR before it was implemented to sort one thing - the clear and obvious error. The sort of error where the vast majority of fans agree the ref made a total bollocks of things. On that basis you are unlikely to get more than a couple of stoppages - max - in a game or the ref needs to be taken off the list! In this way, the beautiful, fast, simple game that we all love will not be stopped for minutes on end whilst a committee of three people in a studio miles away discusses whether the pubic hair on Aguero's left testicle was level with the pimple on the arse of the last defender. Or whether the ball rocketed (from half a yard via a deflection) against the arm (or was it shoulder?) of a player six passes before a wonderful piece of individual skill from his team mate resulted in a goal. Clear and obvious error. I don't want to be at a game only to have to be told by a mate watching on TV why a perfectly good goal has just been disallowed having been given by the officials on the pitch and when the opposition had no complaints. That has happened to me twice v Spuds and I'm sure many on here had their goal celebration cut short with no clue why. VAR needs to go in its present format or it will be one of many reasons why fans get pissed off with the matchday experience. And btw under any new VAR regime I would make it necessary for the manager or captain of a team to prompt a VAR review, limiting each team to a maximum of two reviews per game.

I think he's right. The explanatory note says this:

• it is not an offence if, after an accidental handball, the ball travels some distance (pass or dribble) and/or there are several passes before the goal or goal-scoring opportunity.

I think the rule is vague enough to have had the goal ruled out. He's travelled 10 or 15 yards before shooting, what's the definition of some distance? The simple solution for me would be all handball in the box is disallowed no matter how obscure it was (Laporte) and all hand ball outside the box is good to go unless deemed deliberate.

The point is, whatever nonsensical handball rule exists, I don't want the life sucked out of the quick, passionate, fluid and simple game of football while a three-man committee debates for several minutes the niceties of the rules like the "some distance" nonsense with handball now. VAR should be restricted to clear and obvious errors, not matters of interpretation.

It's very much "Catch 22" - If you are fouled I will allow you to play on if you have an advantage. However, if you do score from that advantage I will have to disallow it.

Var's just for the stay-at-home, tourist fan from whom the Premier League earn most of their money. It's stripped the game of the passion it had as have multiple rule changes where the game is stop-start and free-kicks and penalties are handed out like confetti, and this latest absurdity regarding handball.

I like to think I'm a pretty calm person but the people who've turned the once beautiful game into this over-officiated farce should be rounded up and summarily shot.
100% destroyed the game .

Jesus this never ends does it.

guys you need to stop lumping everything in together.

VAR should be a hugely important thing for us. The camera shouldn’t lie. Be 100% in favour of that.

The implementation and the rules are the only issue here, not the tech.

so if you have an issue, stop bemoaning “var”.

Blame the refs, call em out. Blame the rules. But you saying “fuck var” gives them people an out and our fans keep doing that.

michael Oliver or Mike Dean being inept has nothing to do with the tech at hand, stop letting them off by moaning about var.

Dead right, T. VAR should deliver a result that reflects what has gone on during the match. It should bring the cheats to book and punish the guilty. What the lawmakers and arbitrators have done with it was clear to see TWICE last night - once at The Etihad and once at Bramhall Lane - the ball rolls over a hand -no control over it, pure chance, the rough and tumble of a contact sport played with a round object but a team is penalised when there is not a clear handball offence. The idea of a goal being disallowed because a ball has made contact with an arm, rather than arm making deliberate contact with the ball is just another example of the ridiculous use of the technology. It is not the system that is at fault but the operators with the weirdest set of the LotG that have ever been published.

Jesus this never ends does it.

guys you need to stop lumping everything in together.

VAR should be a hugely important thing for us. The camera shouldn’t lie. Be 100% in favour of that.

The implementation and the rules are the only issue here, not the tech.

so if you have an issue, stop bemoaning “var”.

Blame the refs, call em out. Blame the rules. But you saying “fuck var” gives them people an out and our fans keep doing that.

michael Oliver or Mike Dean being inept has nothing to do with the tech at hand, stop letting them off by moaning about var.
VAR also encompasses the useless twat using the technology.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.