The Deer Hunter; Discuss

BLUEYESTU

Just sat tonight watching this film for what must be the 10th time.
Beautifully filmed and brilliantly acted throughout but I always feel let down by the ending. There’s no other possible end to it really but yet it still seems disappointing.
Despite all that it’s great to see John Cazale in any role, he was such a wonderful actor. The fact he was terminally ill while it was filmed and DeNiro covered his health insurance just so he could appear in it speak volumes for how great he was and how much his friends loved him.
How does it stand up all these years later compared to other classics?

First few times I saw it, years back, I thought it was up there as one of the greatest films ever. When I’ve watched it again recently, less so, though I can’t quite put my finger on the reasons why.

Pretentious, self indulgent, ill informed, stereotypical bag of wank.

One if the worst films made on the subjects it tackles.

John Cazale can be credited for helping getting Meryl Streep her break; they were dating at the time of casting and assisted her in getting her role.
The rest is history.

He also holds the honour of having every film he appeared in be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. Granted that's only 5 films due to his untimely death but all 5 films are fantastic (Godfather, Godfather 2, The Conversation Dog Day Afternoon, Deer Hunter)

As for the film, I've not watched it in full for a long time. From memory the first hour drags a little, but appreciate they are having to set the scene.
Things soon pick up when it moves to the war stuff, but I really need to watch it again sometime to see how it's holding up.

I think Coming Home is the better of the 2 films though, well worth a watch if not seen.
Very much an anti-war picture, and they accused The Deer Hunter of being pro-war.

Apocalypse Now will always be the daddy.

Pretentious, self indulgent, ill informed, stereotypical bag of wank.

One if the worst films made on the subjects it tackles.
Friendship, relationships, decline of industrial towns, parochialism Vs hometown loyalty, futile hatred of communism and the creation of a common enemy, PTSD, profiteering, loyalty? Or just one of those subjects?

Its an incredible film.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.