The difference between a City fan and a United fan?

fulabeer

I know this thread will generate it's own answers, but before the madness starts, i just wanted to say how arrogant most (but NOT all) United fans and players can be.
Over the years, i've spoken to fans from most premier league clubs, and a lot from the lower leagues. The general theme seems to evolve around this "ABU" feeling. Although obvious for us to feel this, i didn't understand why other fans felt this way. How can one club generate such global hatred? I cannot just be due to jealousy at their success. Nobody seems to hate other Champions league clubs for example.

When a City fan sees a struggling/lower league supporter wearing their shirt with pride, they give them respect for showing this pride. (maybe not on a match day against them though!). I've had many a drinking session with rival fans started by seeing the shirt etc.
When a United fan sees a struggling/lower league supporter wearing their shirt with pride, they just see a sad git/loser and are happy to give them dogs abuse for it.

We've had it hard for years, so have a good idea what the bad times are like. Somebody who is willing to put a shirt on regardless of how their team is doing deserves respect.
United fans have had it so good for so long, that they have lost sight of this.

Uniteds fans and players favourite phrase for the last few years has been "Putting us back in our place". Do they not understand the sheer arrogance of statements like this?. It is snobbery of the highest order. Nobody likes a snob, so the ABU's all around the world sprang up. The only good bit about most of their recent arrogant comments is that most are coming back to bite them on the arse. Charity shield Rooney's comments "footballing lesson" resulted in a 6-1 thrashing at their place. Fergies comments that it didn't matter who was on top Xmas day, it mattered more who was on top New years day...DOH! (only said because they had an extra game and thought they would be ahead).

This "assumed" United status has rubbed off on to the punditry on TV and general press over the years. I don't even think that most commentators realise they are doing it. I've been hearing comments like "United regain their place" and "Good to see United back at the top". How unprofessional are these comments from a commentator?

I actually heard comments on TV yesterday after the Chelsea game saying that we were "really under the cosh" and "could only pin Chelsea back into their own half" until we got the penalty. He went on to say that we only just "salvaged" the match in the last few minutes. And that it was only "luck" that we won...!
Redo the exact same match, but put United in our place. No doubt the same commentator would have said.....
"Although missing several defensive players including their captain, United controlled the match early on against a recently revived Chelsea side. Numerous efforts on goal forced Chelsea back into their own half. Chelsea scored against the run of play courtesy of a missed foul/shove, and a deflected own goal. However, this goal only served to spur the home side on even more. The home side came at the visitors in wave after wave. This constant pressure resulted in a defensive error. which left the referee with no doubt but to award a penalty. If you want to protect your face, you put your hands on your face, not in the air in front...definite penalty!. Champions make their own luck, and Uniteds self belief then spurred them on. United could smell blood and went in for the kill. They were soon two up with a brilliant one two, and the game won. This "never say die" attitude, and "playing to the final whistle" is what separates champions from also rans. I would also like to congratulate United on their record breaking home run".

I think a few years off the top just might do United and their fans/Tv pundits a favour. I just hope we never become so arrogant. Our recent good fortune with our owners has already sprouted a few "ABCs". We need to keep our ego's in check, and never become like them...

Good post. I agree with a lot of what you say. The reason United fans are so arrogant is that they have won for so long and always seem to come up smelling of roses (or whatever). It pisses me off to be honest.

The greatest advantage Utd has is that they NEVER give up. They score most of their goals in the last 20 minutes of a game. They have the mental toughness not to quit even when 3 down. City, on the other hand, has a propensity to give up stupid goals in the last few minutes. CRM (Coach Robert Mancini) better drum it into the guys when they play April 30th is to play until the very last whistle. This is the game that will determine the EPL winner

I don't like rags ....

i generally look down on them.

fy0qe1.jpg

Good post by the OP. Sums it all up perfectly for me. And I heard and thought the same with the post match stuff on the radio.

it's a good post that o.p to be honest i agree with every word. the bit about the difference in pundit comments if it had been united last night was spot on.

I have mates supporting a huge variety of clubs... Barcodes, red dippers, blacky, bolton, wigan, lids , arse, QPR and swindon ...

All these fans , subject to loyalty, seem able to call it ... they rate many of our players..and I ate many of theirs..

Amongst my rag mates (yes, this happens) they seem almost pathologically unable to acknowledge players' talents from any other club......to the extent that it just looks silly , sometimes

Sad , really

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.