The difference between a City fan and a United fan?

It is so easy being a rag, almost guaranteed sucess, lots of merchandise to buy, constantly on the telly, never need go to a live match, nearest they get to the big match atmosphere is down the pub. I admire most of all the supporters of the likes of Bury, Accrington, Rochdale and the like, never going to see real sucess follow the team because that is where they live, usually their money that keeps the club alive, why because I have been there following city that is the main difference. You could take the rags out of trafford and stick them almost anywhere in the world (apart from Manchester) and they would have a loyal fanbase try that with any other club and it would probably fail.

To be fair, they are not genetically different. We are all made of the same stuff.

When you win week in week out, season after season, trophy after trophy, you start expecting to win. Your kids grow up expecting their team to be champions every year. That is all many of them have known.

By contrast, we have put up with some tripe haven't we. We have learned to cope by laughing at ourselves, because it's better than the alternative which is to break down and cry. This self deprecating humour has been one of our best attributes and has earned us the respect of many an opposing fan. But let's not get carried away - its not because we are somehow better supporters, merely that we have been shit for years and have found a way of dealing with it.

But success brings a different dynamic, an unpleasant one. The arrogance is creeping in here as well. We are starting to expect to win and some are being tossers to be honest when we don't, demanding the sack of the manager or whichever player has an off game. Laughing at the opposition isn't the most attractive beaviour either.

I hope as the tables turn and we overtake United, we can rise above the shite they have dished out for years and retain some humility. I worry we will end up the same as them.

paulchapo said:
I have supported City for over 40 years.When i started the two clubs were probably neck and neck,although we were the newly promoted upstarts where as they had been at the top for years.Both teams had great players.United Charlton,Best,Law,us Bell,Lee and Summerbee.In spite of this City were still regarded as the underdogs and looked down on by the rags and the media[which wasn't as influentual then pre sky and internet days.]

I just liked everything City stood for,from the genial smiling Joe Mercer to the exciting brash Malcolm Allison.I read an interview when he said we would be better than them and he wanted to put the pride back in the club and get more kids wearing blue and white scarves with a smile on their faces.I was sold and City it definately was for me from there on in.

I have never once regretted that decision.Even when they were winning trophy after trophy and we were playing at Macclesfield and Walsall i loved almost every minute.Our fans had humour,humility and most of all loyalty even when getting stick and the piss taken from every concievable angle we stood firm and proud.Other fans admired us and our loyalty shook the red side because they knew we had something no amount of money and trophies could buy.

Many times i was asked,''How CAN you support that shower of shit???'' I would just smile and reply,''You would never understand,that's why you support United.''

Let no bastard tell you this club has no soul or history.We have proved it over barren cold windswept years on falling down terraces far and wide.Every success we may have in the future has been earned,not bought,by the unshakeable love,loyalty,humility and humour of our magnificent fans of who i am proud to say i am one.That my friend is the difference.

Probably the best post I have read on Bluemoon that.

Couldn't of put it any better paulchapo!

dom said:
I have mates supporting a huge variety of clubs... Barcodes, red dippers, blacky, bolton, wigan, lids , arse, QPR and swindon ...

All these fans , subject to loyalty, seem able to call it ... they rate many of our players..and I ate many of theirs..

Amongst my rag mates (yes, this happens) they seem almost pathologically unable to acknowledge players' talents from any other club......to the extent that it just looks silly , sometimes

Sad , really

Think that answers it all in one... very hard to deal with and that arrogant over your shoulder look they give that theres something more interesting happening 'cringe'! These past 35 plus years of football in my book we have always had the better laugh and another point their close group of mates always seems to be that smaller!!

being a city fan is like being married to your childhood sweetheart theres other more attractive women about but they wont wash your skiddy undies.and being city fans have we had some skiddy undies

Chippy_boy said:
To be fair, they are not genetically different. We are all made of the same stuff.

When you win week in week out, season after season, trophy after trophy, you start expecting to win. Your kids grow up expecting their team to be champions every year. That is all many of them have known.

By contrast, we have put up with some tripe haven't we. We have learned to cope by laughing at ourselves, because it's better than the alternative which is to break down and cry. This self deprecating humour has been one of our best attributes and has earned us the respect of many an opposing fan. But let's not get carried away - its not because we are somehow better supporters, merely that we have been shit for years and have found a way of dealing with it.

But success brings a different dynamic, an unpleasant one. The arrogance is creeping in here as well. We are starting to expect to win and some are being tossers to be honest when we don't, demanding the sack of the manager or whichever player has an off game. Laughing at the opposition isn't the most attractive beaviour either.

I hope as the tables turn and we overtake United, we can rise above the shite they have dished out for years and retain some humility. I worry we will end up the same as them.
Very good post. As a rag I sometimes wish it´d be the 80s again (bar LFC-cunts). Love the feeling of winning though after the terrible spell in 70-80s and our away is still top notch

city saint said:
being a city fan is like being married to your childhood sweetheart theres other more attractive women about but they wont wash your skiddy undies.and being city fans have we had some skiddy undies

Love this!. Think we all have plenty, we can buy some nice new sky blue ones once the prem trophy is brought back to Eastlands :D

city saint said:
I´ve never washed me undies (a lot of nice girls over the years has taken the pleasure) and I´ve supported the best club in the world for over 30 years. You can´t beat it:-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.