The downside to the internet

MCFC BOB said:
foetus said:
Why Always Ste said:
A few disagreements to this comment but I understand exactly his point and agree entirely.

I've been using the net since I was 8yrs old (now 28)
The amount of knowledge I've learnt from content online.
Many new friendships and some relationships formed.
Jobs found online.

I practically live my life online.
Obviously I exercise and so on offline but even finding things like gym routines was done online.

I agree that the internet has changed the way we live our lives. It hasn't changed me as a person though. If the internet was to stop tomorrow, I would still be the same person but the way I live my life would change if you get what I mean.
You wouldn't be the same person after a year of no Internet, though. Nobody would, not at this stage.

I feel that you are even more wrong about this belief than when you callously destroyed our 30 minute long whirlwind internet romance, elopement and marriage last week.

markyboyblue said:
I bet the internet is responsible for a lot of people having affairs and marriage splits. Suppose that could be a good thing in some cases.

The internet probably makes having affairs much easier but it can't be held accountable.

It's what you do with the internet that matters. Not what the internet offers you.

I mainly use it for wanking purposes.

MCFC BOB said:
We're the people we are now because of the Internet.

We've learnt too much, seen too much and been given the chance to do too much to deny that we're living through a technological revolution, spearheaded primarily by extensive use of the Internet.

Perhaps I'm exposed to it more because I'm young, and have never known a world without instant knowledge and news, social networking and a connection to anyone on the planet, but you can certainly see where I'm coming from.

Yeah I can see where you are coming from. I'm just trying to make the point that the internet is not the defining (or major) factor in determining ones personality. Friends/family/environment are things that affect who you are. The internet just changes the way we live our lives. I haven't learned morals or behaviour from it....I had already been taught them long before the internet was a part of my everyday life.

Putting your PC on in the morning to check your emails, and 3 hours later after a tour of lobstertube, spankwire and xhamster, you've still not checked your emails. You're still sat in your boxers, holding a sock that has turned into plaster of Paris, feeling ashamed and disgusted with yourself, wondering what you're doing with your life. THATS what's wrong with the internet. Or so my mate says ...

foetus said:
MCFC BOB said:
We're the people we are now because of the Internet.

We've learnt too much, seen too much and been given the chance to do too much to deny that we're living through a technological revolution, spearheaded primarily by extensive use of the Internet.

Perhaps I'm exposed to it more because I'm young, and have never known a world without instant knowledge and news, social networking and a connection to anyone on the planet, but you can certainly see where I'm coming from.

Yeah I can see where you are coming from. I'm just trying to make the point that the internet is not the defining (or major) factor in determining ones personality. Friends/family/environment are things that affect who you are. The internet just changes the way we live our lives.

I think this is right we are who we are, our genes make up our personality

I remember Steven Fry on QI giving an example of this, if you give someone some really great news like say winning the lottery he/she will be elated for a day or two but after this they will revert back to type and be no happier than they were before. Same if you give someone bad news, it will only depress them for a day or two then they will go back to their normal state of mind again after 2 or 3 days.
You just cant change someone's personality it seems.

The worst thing for me is the state of social ineptitude seen sometimes due to access of instant information. Groups of people sat in the boozer, all on their phones tapping away as if in some kind of virtual isolation, looking up only to take a sip of their pint, or share some bullshit fact they've just found with the rest of the smartphone massive. It's a load of bollocks really, especially when your having a debate about football for example- you'd say a player scored 15 goals in a season and then your mate (who has never watched a game or taken any interest in football) will whip out an iPhone and smugly proceed to tell you that it was infact 17 goals per game, with 5 assists, 2384 yards travelled per game and then show you a picture of said player with his fucking cat. That's my issue with smartphones, they make the village idiot look like Einstein at times.

It still amazes me.

40 years ago, imagine telling someone you'd have somnething in your pocket the size of a cig box that would give you access to almost the knowledge of the world that you can access at any time.

Its crazy when you think about how much information is available at the click of a free buttons

I wouldn't lose much sleep if the Internet crashed and burned, in fact I'd get more sleep. But if I didn't have my mobile phone, that's another matter.

oldhamblue said:
Putting your PC on in the morning to check your emails, and 3 hours later after a tour of lobstertube, spankwire and xhamster, you've still not checked your emails. You're still sat in your boxers, holding a sock that has turned into plaster of Paris, feeling ashamed and disgusted with yourself, wondering what you're doing with your life. THATS what's wrong with the internet. Or so my mate says ...

I think know your mate :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.