The exposures Balotelli gives us.

danburge82 said:
zlaz3r said:
Every time Balotelli is in one of our City tv videos the hits sky rocket.

For good or bad, Mario is city´s walking billboard and we could not have had the global exposures had it not been for him.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuYVyxUzoMM&feature=related[/youtube]

At this moment kids talk as much about Balotelli as Messi and Ronaldo, and i am not even kidding.
The only place anything is important is on the pitch. Has he ever played two games in a row to a high standard for us?

At 22 CRonaldo scored 42 goals in England and Messi scored 47 goals in Spain. Will Mario get those sort of levels this season now he's 22?

For me Mario is like the Dennis Rodman of football. Rodman was a joke figure. His hairstyles would get as much attention as Michael Jordan scoring 65 points three times in one month. Rodman's 9 day marriage to Carman Elektra got more attention than MJ playing and scoring 40+ points with flu.

But to people who knew basketball Rodman was just someone who was good at one thing in the game (rebounding) and could be a complete liability the rest of the time with his disciplinary record on the court. Proper Basketball people didn't take a lot of the rest of his game seriously because he was severely lacking; yet he grabbed lots of headlines and would be talked of alongside MJ.
I look at Mario and see he's good at one thing (shooting) and can be a complete liability the rest of the time with his temperament on the pitch. Proper football people see through the hype and don't particularly take the rest of Mario's game seriously because a lot of his game is severely lacking; yet he grabs as many headlines and is talked of alongside CRonaldo and Messi.

The day Mario talked of alongside even players way below CRonaldo and Messi, like our own Sergio Agüero for example, in terms of actual football ability is the day I get excited about having Mario at City.

-- Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:17 pm --

pudge said:
It appears that if you don't rate Mario as highly as some, you hate him?
Ridiculous isn't it?
Best Balotelli post ever.

greasedupdeafguy said:
CityCTID said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
Who cares? Its what he does on the pitch that counts, if anything what he does off the pitch is bad for us as it shows indiscipline imo.
Mmm, obviously you do...
If he plays well and scores goals I couldn't give a shit what he does off the pitch.

-- Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:14 pm --

zlaz3r said:
I seriously didn't know people where this thick.

"I don't care, all i want him too do is perform on the pitch!

"He brings bad publicity too the team"

"He brings disruption in the dressing room, by running around in training all smiling and stuff!"

The topic is about Balotelli giving City more exposure then anything else, i would bet my house that he is the player which gives city the most exposure then any other player in the team, more then Yaya, Aguero, Tevez, and Silva.

United didn't only buy Kagawa cause of his abilities, same with Park.
Why did Roma buy Michael Bradly ?

Is it a coincidence that we are buying so many players from Balkan ?
What the hell is this?
United bought Kagawa because he is one the most upcoming attacking midfielders in the world, Roma bought Bradley because he is an excellent cm. Who cares what cloths Balo is wearing and what random shit hes been up to ( mainly paper lies) the only thing that matters are his performances on the pitch.

No, United bought Kagawa because of where he came from - purely for shirt sales. However, they not stupid enough to buy without good scouting and he was the best of the bunch. They need the money........so they HAVE to buy players who will have a commercial spin off

danburge82 said:
zlaz3r said:

For good or bad, Mario is city´s walking billboard and we could not have had the global exposures had it not been for him.

At this moment kids talk as much about Balotelli as Messi and Ronaldo, and i am not even kidding.
The only place anything is important is on the pitch. Has he ever played two games in a row to a high standard for us?

At 22 CRonaldo scored 42 goals in England and Messi scored 47 goals in Spain. Will Mario get those sort of levels this season now he's 22?

For me Mario is like the Dennis Rodman of football. Rodman was a joke figure. His hairstyles would get as much attention as Michael Jordan scoring 65 points three times in one month. Rodman's 9 day marriage to Carman Elektra got more attention than MJ playing and scoring 40+ points with flu.

But to people who knew basketball Rodman was just someone who was good at one thing in the game (rebounding) and could be a complete liability the rest of the time with his disciplinary record on the court. Proper Basketball people didn't take a lot of the rest of his game seriously because he was severely lacking; yet he grabbed lots of headlines and would be talked of alongside MJ.
I look at Mario and see he's good at one thing (shooting) and can be a complete liability the rest of the time with his temperament on the pitch. Proper football people see through the hype and don't particularly take the rest of Mario's game seriously because a lot of his game is severely lacking; yet he grabs as many headlines and is talked of alongside CRonaldo and Messi.

The day Mario talked of alongside even players way below CRonaldo and Messi, like our own Sergio Agüero for example, in terms of actual football ability is the day I get excited about having Mario at City.

pudge said:
Ridiculous isn't it?
Ronaldo had been at the rags for FOUR whole seasons before his 42 goal season (his fifth season). Mario's been here for two, this being his third. In his 42 goal season, he was essentially at the top of a triangle composed of Rooney and Tevez feeding him. He was the main set-piece taker as well. This differs substantially from Mario's position, who not only is often not the main striker, with two in support (which never happens), he's often played wide left, where you're not going to get as many goals overall. If you put Mario in front of Tevez and Aguero and let him be main set-piece taker as well, I think he's certainly capable of hitting 42, especially with two more seasons getting to know his teammates like Ronaldo had. However, that was his record season, what you're asking us is to predict a miracle season for Mario on-demand effectively. Well no, because the odds are it won't be. Ronaldo did it one season out of six, or one out of three as the main striker - in unique circumstances unlikely to occur at City. It is more realistic to compare Balotelli to Ronaldo's 06-07 and 08-09 season, 23 and 26 goals in 53 games, or 49 goals in 106 games, or 1 in 2.16 (at age 24 and a half, six seasons at same club) compared to Mario's 1 in 2.29 (age 22, two seasons at same club). Those are what you might refer to as their standard fare. Ronaldo's moved onto new heights certainly. Mario might never reach them but even 80% of the way there and he's still an amazing player well worth what we paid.

As for serious footballing people not taking him seriously, from Jose Mourinho saying he's be one of the world's best on 50% effort to Yaya Toure saying Balotelli is the one City player he'd pick to play alongside him, to the Tuttosport award, previous winners including Messi and Aguero, yeah, serious footballing people take him very seriously. No amount of self-delusion and you thinking you know better than some of the world's best managers, players and football journalists, will take away that fact.

Was on an Emirates flight reading the inflight mag, there was a section on Italy and 5 famous italians, Balo was one of them. The kid still has so much more to do and his everywhere. Great for the club

Skashion said:
danburge82 said:
zlaz3r said:

pudge said:
Ridiculous isn't it?
Ronaldo had been at the rags for FOUR whole seasons before his 42 goal season (his fifth season). Mario's been here for two, this being his third. In his 42 goal season, he was essentially at the top of a triangle composed of Rooney and Tevez feeding him. He was the main set-piece taker as well. This differs substantially from Mario's position, who not only is often not the main striker, with two in support (which never happens), he's often played wide left, where you're not going to get as many goals overall. If you put Mario in front of Tevez and Aguero and let him be main set-piece taker as well, I think he's certainly capable of hitting 42, especially with two more seasons getting to know his teammates like Ronaldo had. However, that was his record season, what you're asking us is to predict a miracle season for Mario on-demand effectively. Well no, because the odds are it won't be. Ronaldo did it one season out of six, or one out of three as the main striker - in unique circumstances unlikely to occur at City. It is more realistic to compare Balotelli to Ronaldo's 06-07 and 08-09 season, 23 and 26 goals in 53 games, or 49 goals in 106 games, or 1 in 2.16 (at age 24 and a half, six seasons at same club) compared to Mario's 1 in 2.29 (age 22, two seasons at same club). Those are what you might refer to as their standard fare. Ronaldo's moved onto new heights certainly. Mario might never reach them but even 80% of the way there and he's still an amazing player well worth what we paid.

As for serious footballing people not taking him seriously, from Jose Mourinho saying he's be one of the world's best on 50% effort to Yaya Toure saying Balotelli is the one City player he'd pick to play alongside him, to the Tuttosport award, previous winners including Messi and Aguero, yeah, serious footballing people take him very seriously. No amount of self-delusion and you thinking you know better than some of the world's best managers, players and football journalists, will take away that fact.
Very good reply, saved me the time.

pudge said:

(For the record, I do rate Mario quite highly)

Rubbish!

Don't be confused with "people don't rate Mario" and "people abuse Mario"

Don't get it twisted!

adammck said:
Was on an Emirates flight reading the inflight mag, there was a section on Italy and 5 famous italians, Balo was one of them. The kid still has so much more to do and his everywhere. Great for the club

I used to fly Emirates but use Etihad now, it just feels better and is much better!

Skashion said:
danburge82 said:
zlaz3r said:

pudge said:
Ridiculous isn't it?

Great response ,.

Makes me wonder. folk come out with things like " serious football people see through the hype"

You mean like Roberto Mancini ..is he still blinded by the hype? or is he a serious football person?
The manager of the italian national team..is he blinded by the hype of mario, or is he a serious football person...?

Great comparison with Rodman. Sorry but he doesn't do himself any favors with his on the field antics. Competition is fierce on all fronts this season we can't afford to have him get all moody and disturb the rhythm and cohesion of the team.

Skashion said:
Ronaldo had been at the rags for FOUR whole seasons before his 42 goal season (his fifth season). Mario's been here for two, this being his third.

I don't really see that as mitigation of anything. Mario's achievements before he arrived at City have often been trumpeted. How many other players have won the CL, and two Scudetto's at that age is an oft repeated quote. Ronaldo moved to the rags at 17 from the Portugese league, where he'd only played one season.

In his 42 goal season, he was essentially at the top of a triangle composed of Rooney and Tevez feeding him. He was the main set-piece taker as well. This differs substantially from Mario's position, who not only is often not the main striker, with two in support (which never happens), he's often played wide left, where you're not going to get as many goals overall.

Last season Mario played in a strike partnership with another player 95% of the times he started so your point about him being played from the left "often" is wholly inaccurate. You may have been thinking about the season before. The formation last season may have differed substantially from United's in Ronaldo's first 42 goal season, but again, he was playing alongside Aguero (or Dzeko) and being fed by David Silva and Samir Nasri. Both players who for my money are just as effective a supply line as Tevez and Rooney were at United, if not better. I take your point that he wasn't main striker, but that's because he wasn't as good as Aguero in the eyes of the manager.

If you put Mario in front of Tevez and Aguero and let him be main set-piece taker as well, I think he's certainly capable of hitting 42, especially with two more seasons getting to know his teammates like Ronaldo had.

Mario was the main penalty taker when he was on the field last season. He took more than his fair share of freekicks also. You say he's capable of hitting 42 in "two more seasons" - why? Or let me rephrase, why not now? Physically he has all the attributes, technically he also has all the attributes, he plays in arguably one of the best squads in the world with some of the most creative players on earth. What will change in two more season that will make his goal scoring prowess explode and double from what it currently is.

However, that was his record season, what you're asking us is to predict a miracle season for Mario on-demand effectively.

Don't understand this comment either. It was his record season at United, he has more than matched that since at Madrid though. This will be Mario's third season in England, his third with his teammates, and it is a time when you would expect a world class forward to begin to show all his strengths. If you look at the improvement purely from a goal scoring perspective, last season's 17 goals for Mario was nearly double what his previous best. I'd say that was a direct result of his improvement as a player, and the quality of the players around him. So if he can make that leap once, I don't see why he can't make it again. Sure it's "on-demand" but he did it last season in terms of improvement.

Well no, because the odds are it won't be. Ronaldo did it one season out of six, or one out of three as the main striker - in unique circumstances unlikely to occur at City. It is more realistic to compare Balotelli to Ronaldo's 06-07 and 08-09 season, 23 and 26 goals in 53 games, or 49 goals in 106 games, or 1 in 2.16 (at age 24 and a half, six seasons at same club) compared to Mario's 1 in 2.29 (age 22, two seasons at same club).
Those are what you might refer to as their standard fare. Ronaldo's moved onto new heights certainly. Mario might never reach them but even 80% of the way there and he's still an amazing player well worth what we paid.

The simple truth is that Mario isn't yet anywhere near the standard that Ronaldo and Messi were at his age. It's not strictly speaking a criticism of him, but it is certainly a criticism of those who continue to talk about him as if he's close to being a player of that ilk. He isn't yet because he hasn't come close to showing the consistency, maturity and professionalism that both of those players were showing at 22. He could grow into a player like that, but equally his development could stall and we could find in a season or two he hasn't progressed much beyond the player we saw last season. Time will tell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.