The FA - An equal opportunities employer?

Toney’s bookie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16961682

So The FA have expressed a preference for an 'English or British' man to be the next manager. Now, I'm far from one of the PC brigade but a question for any business owners/managers here.

What would happen if you openly stated in an employment advert/discussion that you were searching for an 'English/British male' to fill a role. I doubt it would be very long before you were in a bit of trouble so why is it so accepted in football. When you think about the racism/homophobia issues in the spotlight recently, does football really think it's above the law?

This is probably my most serious post ever by the way ;-)

davealvers said:

So The FA have expressed a preference for an 'English or British' man to be the next manager. Now, I'm far from one of the PC brigade but a question for any business owners/managers here.

What would happen if you openly stated in an employment advert/discussion that you were searching for an 'English/British male' to fill a role. I doubt it would be very long before you were in a bit of trouble so why is it so accepted in football. When you think about the racism/homophobia issues in the spotlight recently, does football really think it's above the law?

You cant be serious!!

davealvers said:

I don't see the problem, in fact I want an English manager because I'm English, just the same as I only want an English Prime Minister. Race/Religion doesn't come into it.

The fact any non-englishman has ever been in charge of england football team, is a disgrace. You cant play for england if your not english, or have no relation to england, and its the same for any national side. does that mean that country is racist? no, its a fifa rule. Its international football, its the whole point. and it should be the same for the managers.

saw an interview with Jamie Carragher a few months ago where he said international football should be 100% made up of people from their own counties, i.e. in the england set up everybody should be the best the country has to offer, from the physios, cooks, bus drivers to the players and the management should be english, and they should compete in international football against the best that other countries have to offer. 100% agree with him.

nonsense post from the OP.

The Ox said:
davealvers said:

I don't see the problem, in fact I want an English manager because I'm English, just the same as I only want an English Prime Minister. Race/Religion doesn't come into it.

That's not my point though is it? I ALSO WANT AN ENGLISH MANAGER. However, my point is that this open preference for once particular nationality just wouldn't be acceptable in any other industry in this country so does the fact that it's deemed acceptable in football really show that attitudes are completely detached from is considered acceptable in the rest of society?

Your point about Prime Minister doesn't compare. Anyone who is eligible can run for election and potentially end up as PM. The England manager job is an appointed role by an employer.

-- Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:54 pm --

Matt.D said:
The fact any non-englishman has ever been in charge of england football team, is a disgrace. You cant play for england if your not english, or have no relation to england, and its the same for any national side. does that mean that country is racist? no, its a fifa rule. Its international football, its the whole point. and it should be the same for the managers.

saw an interview with Jamie Carragher a few months ago where he said international football should be 100% made up of people from their own counties, i.e. in the england set up everybody should be the best the country has to offer, from the physios, cooks, bus drivers to the players and the management should be english, and they should compete in international football against the best that other countries have to offer. 100% agree with him.

Again, you're missing the point. I repeat: I also want an English manager.

For example, BRITISH AIRWAYS recently had Willie Walsh (an Irishman) as CEO. What do you think would happen (NOT what do you think is right) if BA put an advert in all the newspapers when searching for his replacement saying 'New CEO for British Airways needed. English or British man preferred'?

They'd be in big trouble so why not the same principle for football?

There's nothing wrong with stating that you have a preference, as did Bernstein in his statement when he said they'd prefer but will be objective as long as the right man comes along.

Here's one though, I said man, is their the same stance for a woman?

davealvers said:
The Ox said:
davealvers said:

That's not my point though is it? I ALSO WANT AN ENGLISH MANAGER. However, my point is that this open preference for once particular nationality just wouldn't be acceptable in any other industry in this country so does the fact that it's deemed acceptable in football really show that attitudes are completely detached from is considered acceptable in the rest of society?

Your point about Prime Minister doesn't compare. Anyone who is eligible can run for election and potentially end up as PM. The England manager job is an appointed role by an employer.

-- Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:54 pm --

Matt.D said:

Again, you're missing the point. I repeat: I also want an English manager.

For example, BRITISH AIRWAYS recently had Willie Walsh (an Irishman) as CEO. What do you think would happen (NOT what do you think is right) if BA put an advert in all the newspapers when searching for his replacement saying 'New CEO for British Airways needed. English or British man preferred'?

They'd be in big trouble so why not the same principle for football?

because its international football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.