The Fantasy Thread (no not that you perv)

The Bernard Cornwell books sound great, I love Sharpe, always fancied reading the last kingdom as well but haven't got round to it, will have a Google at the Arthur books
You would not regret reading them - his best work in my opinion. The Last Kingdom series was good but went on a bit too long for me.

Love Terry Brooks, first one I read was kingdom for sale, I was gutted then the Americans butchered the Shannara books to make the TV series

I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes of that Shannara show. Absolutely awful. I'm hoping for better with the new LOTR show but have my doubts!

In terms of reading my love of fantasy started way back over 45 years ago with Alan Garner's Weirdstone of Brisingamen. Moved on to the likes of Eddings, Brooks & Feist for the teenage years followed by the comedic fantasy of Pratchett & Asprin. Now I prefer those with a darker edge to them like Scott Lynch, Joe Abercrombie, Glen Cook and do one day intend to get around to finishing the Malazan books by Erikson.

Almost every TV Series adapted from a fantasy novel series has been a letdown (at some point) so far for me. Legend of the Seeker. The Dresden Files, The Shannara Chronicles, GoT (ending), Wheel of Time.

Only exceptions (so far) have been Stranger Things & The Witcher though there's still time on both of these as they're still ongoing projects and I've not read any Witcher books as yet but just picked up a boxset of 8 books recently.

Dresden Files was a new level of disappointment, never to be beaten, and then along cam Shannara Chronicles....

for slightly odd/comedic fantasy, try RR Haywood, in particular the "Extracted" series and "The Code" though the latter is more sci-fi than fantasy

Raymond E Feist Magician trilogy and Empire Trilogy

Again as a slightly odd series, Piers Anthony Xanth series for a world based on puns, but also very good and a bit more mainstream the Split Infinity and Incarnations of Immortality series, both getting on a bit but excellent imo

Are there new series since they were on tv and where are they bob ?
Supernatural ? All free on Amazon prime at the moment Kaz. Pretty sure they have a free 30 day trial if you've not got Amazon already

Still haven't see the new Dune movie but hear it's excellent. Always struck me as a book that deserved something epic on the screen, kinda liked the 80s(?) one with sting and Kyle McLachlan. Dark Crystal, Princess Bride, Labyrinth, all classics. Trying to think of a few less obvious ones, Stardust is quite good. Brendan Fraser's The Mummy was decent if you take it for what it is. I watched Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets recently which was good had that Fifth Element vibe. Troll Hunter is excellent, I think it is a Norwegian film but very good.

I love the Expanse books but didn't get into the Amazon series, although many say it is excellent. Terry Pratchett is a favourite too but think all the tv adaptions have been disappointing really. Stephen King's Dark Tower series is excellent, post apocalyptic western style rather than his usual out and out horror stuff. I personally also love some of the golden oldies, just re read time machine and war of the worlds and still happily read some of the Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars books or the Conan books. Peter F Hamilton is also great but most of his tales are epic sized. John Scalzi is also excellent, his Old Man's War series is like the anti Starship Troopers.

TV series, I actually quite enjoyed the Shannara adaption. I think the requirement to basically create a whole new world or universe really makes it hard to do on any level consistently. The Stargate show mentioned earlier with Robert Carlyle was ace and should never have been cancelled, just like Firefly, and that comes from someone who didn't really like Stargate. The new Lost in Space is decent but in a way the old series and ones like it, Land of the Giants, were so unbelievable with the combination of hammy acting and props that you just suspended belief and enjoyed the story for what it was.

Animation wise I recommend of course Futurama. Watched Disenchanted and it is ok, but theres another one on Netflix which is fantastic, can't remember the name right now, will come to me.

If you like anime then Ghibli stuff is top notch, Totoro is a family favourite here but Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away and others are excellent. Series wise I never got into the more mainstream stuff but I recommend Elfen Lied, Claymore, Dennou Coil and Blood+.

Sorry for the long post, but good topic op :)

Edit, final space is the Netflix show I was thinking if. Funny, but an adult storyline.

Last edited:
Still haven't see the new Dune movie but hear it's excellent. Always struck me as a book that deserved something epic on the screen, kinda liked the 80s(?) one with sting and Kyle McLachlan. Dark Crystal, Princess Bride, Labyrinth, all classics. Trying to think of a few less obvious ones, Stardust is quite good. Brendan Fraser's The Mummy was decent if you take it for what it is. I watched Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets recently which was good had that Fifth Element vibe. Troll Hunter is excellent, I think it is a Norwegian film but very good.

I love the Expanse books but didn't get into the Amazon series, although many say it is excellent. Terry Pratchett is a favourite too but think all the tv adaptions have been disappointing really. Stephen King's Dark Tower series is excellent, post apocalyptic western style rather than his usual out and out horror stuff. I personally also love some of the golden oldies, just re read time machine and war of the worlds and still happily read some of the Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars books or the Conan books. Peter F Hamilton is also great but most of his tales are epic sized. John Scalzi is also excellent, his Old Man's War series is like the anti Starship Troopers.

TV series, I actually quite enjoyed the Shannara adaption. I think the requirement to basically create a whole new world or universe really makes it hard to do on any level consistently. The Stargate show mentioned earlier with Robert Carlyle was ace and should never have been cancelled, just like Firefly, and that comes from someone who didn't really like Stargate. The new Lost in Space is decent but in a way the old series and ones like it, Land of the Giants, were so unbelievable with the combination of hammy acting and props that you just suspended belief and enjoyed the story for what it was.

Animation wise I recommend of course Futurama. Watched Disenchanted and it is ok, but theres another one on Netflix which is fantastic, can't remember the name right now, will come to me.

If you like anime then Ghibli stuff is top notch, Totoro is a family favourite here but Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away and others are excellent. Series wise I never got into the more mainstream stuff but I recommend Elfen Lied, Claymore, Dennou Coil and Blood+.

Sorry for the long post, but good topic op :)

Edit, final space is the Netflix show I was thinking if. Funny, but an adult storyline.
I was disappointed with Shannara, love Futurama though, going to give the other Stargates a go, hopefully keep me going until LoTR and The Witcher

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.