The final Manchester Derby at Maine Road

HelloCity

As someone who started going to games as a child in the early 90's, this was by far my favourite win at the old stadium. The atmosphere was absolutely amazing from start to finish. The crowd wanted the win so badly and that feeling transferred onto the players who subsequently gave their all against a far superior side.

I'd never seen us beat United. I'd heard about the mythical 5-1, but I grew up as United became the dominate force while we sank from the middle of the Premier League into the lowly depths of League One. Never mind winning a trophy, even beating United felt like an impossible dream. I went through primary school, high school and 6th form without us beating them a single time.

That spell being broken after 13 years in the final Maine Road Derby was so special. Neville fed The Goat of course, who later notched his 100th goal for the club. The feeling at the final whistle was amazing and came with a huge outpour of joy.

For someone like me, who only ever knew the dark times, it remains one of my most special memories supporting City. Feed the goat and he will score.

One of the best atmospheres of any derby game I’ve been to. I was down the front of the Main Stand and even the old biddies behind me were doling out the abuse to our dear red chums, left, right and centre. The din when Anelka rammed home the opener so early, was unbelievable

Very much like yourself @ManCityX I also started going to games with my Dad in the 90's. We lost at home to Oldham on my 26th birthday, thanks City.

I was in the Gene Kelly for the 3-1, so had a great view at that end of The Goat robbing Neville.

Wasn't that the day the PA system broke before kickoff, leaving the fans in charge of the pre match build up? I remember the atmosphere that day being brilliant .

89 was the best oldfield ,Morley, Bishop, oldfield, then the best white crosses hinchcliffe what a header remember the rag fuckers jumping the fence faster than wio did out of the toilet window

It was a fantastic game and remains one of my favourite derby wins. I've been at Maine Road when there's been almost double the crowd but the noise that day was unforgettable.

Great atmosphere although for me I would say the fa cup semi was better. The Poznan before kick off was amazing to be involved in. Got home a 2am that day/night and the first thing I did was to watch the match again. I actually got chills watching that poznan. 40,000 of us doing that in unison. The first half of this years derby was really good as well. We'll pretend the 2nd half didn't happen!!

I remember getting home after the derby and a neighbour asking about the game. My voice had gone from the shouting at the match. What a day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.