The Ford Capri

Ford_Capri_Mk1_3.jpeg

Ford_Capri_Mk1_2.jpeg

Ford_Capri_Mk1_1.jpeg

Has to be the MK1

Had a 1973 M reg 1600 (possibly a GT) in 1988, bought it off me mate for £150 the thing was a death trap and scared the shit out of me, brakes were shot handling none existent bodywork on its last legs(held together with fibreglass) took it back to him after about 12 hours told him it needed scrapping, he’s a good lad and gave me my money back then sold it 2 days later to some chump for £250

In your opinion has this car dated much ? this one was made in 1984

1ee368dc20f0c21d1a28335cfdda511bec36916e.jpg

Incredibly dated. Many used wheezy OHV Kent engines or a notoriously troublesome V4. The later OHC Pinto came with new problems - everyone of a certain age can identify a Pinto engine before the car is visible by just hearing the clack clack clack from the camshaft. The primitive rear suspension - live axle and leaf springs - woeful rust protection (not unusual for the era though ) - dreadful handling - non existent crash protection........ I could go on. It looked well for a time and in its time but like most of these things we look back with rose tinted specs - a basic 1.6L could probably be outdragged by a Hyundai i10 now.

Well yes, it would look totally different if designed today. But I’d say the styling qualifies it as (at least) a minor classic.

Triumph Stags and other classics were shite on reliability but that doesn’t seem to affect classic status.

Well yes, it would look totally different if designed today. But I’d say the styling qualifies it as (at least) a minor classic.

Triumph Stags and other classics were shite on reliability but that doesn’t seem to affect classic status.

Thats the rose tint effect isn't it? There is a thriving classic car scene out there and fair play to them. However a classic as an everyday motor is impractical unless you do a tiny mileage and can do your own maintenance. However I do think now looking back at the Capri to answer the OP it does look incredibly dated - the MK1 is the purest of line - the final incarnations were just Fat Elvis - bloated and waiting to die.

Ford_Capri_Mk1_3.jpeg

Ford_Capri_Mk1_2.jpeg

Ford_Capri_Mk1_1.jpeg

Has to be the MK1
Without any doubt whatsoever. A mate of mine had a brand new, late mark one 3000, a car lusted after by all and sundry, a Daytona
yellow beauty, without, surprisingly, a vinyl roof, would be worth a Kings ransom now, but he wrapped it up being chased by cops, pissed, down
Bridge Street in Warrington.
I didn't see him driving anything for a while after that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.