The FTSE

I didn't see it but that sounds like the battery swap service that NIO already offers so might not be anything new? They've hundreds of battery swap stations in China and will no doubt open them elsewhere as the company goes global. It gets round the issue of spending hours charging your car - just pop into a battery swap station and get a fresh battery back installed in no time:

They were very complimentary about the quality of the car, comparing it to top end cars. If I remember correctly they compared it very favourably against Tesla offerings.

How much has everyone lost over the past two months?

Holding too many growth stocks and crypto, been an absolutely disgusting period. Lost about 18 months salary.

Not panicking though, longterm conviction in most holdings. Not much real trash in there, though there is one I really wish I'd cut my losses in. Holding to the bitter end now.

Holding too many growth stocks and crypto, been an absolutely disgusting period. Lost about 18 months salary.

Not panicking though, longterm conviction in most holdings. Not much real trash in there, though there is one I really wish I'd cut my losses in. Holding to the bitter end now.
You're not alone by any means, but if you don't need it immediately then it's just one of those things that happens with the markets. As you have said ride it out and the market will come back once it's swallowed the threat of interest rate rises.
The people probably most at risk are those who draw an income from the profits e.g people who are retired. If you're investing as a future pension or somewhere to stick money which is doing nothing then it shouldn't be a worry.

That said crypto is scary at the best of times.

I’m in a similar position. I’m not too concerned about my crypto holdings. I’ve been holding for years so seen this kind of drawdown before.

What I do find strange is when I’m doing the food shop, I’ll still look at the deals to save about 50p. Kind of seems absolutely pointless when I’ve seen thousands wiped off my portfolio these last few weeks.

Microsoft just announced strong earnings, then of course it drops 5% after hours. I hope Powell doesn’t say anything tomorrow that’ll sink the markets further. Get out of Q1 without too much further damage then I’m hoping things will start to pick up.

I’m in a similar position. I’m not too concerned about my crypto holdings. I’ve been holding for years so seen this kind of drawdown before.

What I do find strange is when I’m doing the food shop, I’ll still look at the deals to save about 50p. Kind of seems absolutely pointless when I’ve seen thousands wiped off my portfolio these last few weeks.

Microsoft just announced strong earnings, then of course it drops 5% after hours. I hope Powell doesn’t say anything tomorrow that’ll sink the markets further. Get out of Q1 without too much further damage then I’m hoping things will start to pick up.
The thing you need to look at is how much you have made over the last 5yrs. If it's anything like my investment I'm still up around 85%, even with the recent falls.
There really isn't anywhere to go for shelter as it stands and selling on a falling market is generally not a wise move unless you have holdings in individual companies that look like they are seriously going south. So you might as well keep pound cost averaging into your funds and get rewarded when the upturn inevitably comes.

You're not alone by any means, but if you don't need it immediately then it's just one of those things that happens with the markets. As you have said ride it out and the market will come back once it's swallowed the threat of interest rate rises.
The people probably most at risk are those who draw an income from the profits e.g people who are retired. If you're investing as a future pension or somewhere to stick money which is doing nothing then it shouldn't be a worry.

That said crypto is scary at the best of times.

I'm thinking of selling my car and investing the lot in this period. Not driving much at all at the moment and get the train to work.

It'd be a risk but I have hardly any cash to spare now for investing, and it is tempting. I would like to withdraw some within 6 months or so to place a deposit down on a house though, so I couldn't afford another downturn if I whacked the whole car cash in. I'd be screwing myself.

Seems like the heady days of this time last year were a millennia ago.

taken about 8% hit over the past month, not pleasant but not quite at covid crash levels yet, issue is that this could be compounded by Ukraine. If that gets sorted then it's just a matter of sitting waiting I guess, which I can do at present. Will need a safer strategy once I get to the point I'm drawing down off the investments though

My main investment, Fundsmith, has now crashed harder than it did when covid hit, so much for quality stocks and equities being a good hedge against inflation.
Also got quite a lot of RMG shares which have lost 17% in less than 2 weeks.
Happy days!

The real worry is Putin, if the idiot goes for it and invades Ukraine, expect global markets to take a real plunge.

Last edited:

Too much mate. Not looked this week at all though some small signs of recovery today. Keep getting emails about sales so I assume my FA is selling the poorer performing funds. I’m still up overall but lost more money that I could afford before my investment gained ground but that’s funds for you.

I don’t plan to look for a while. It was nice when they were hitting new records day after day but it’s time to trust the advice of long term!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.