The future is STILL Blue

ChicagoBlue

Emotions have run high here today, but we need to keep things in the type of perspective that our ownership has taken in their building of the 21st Century Manchester City.

We are now firmly cemented into the top tier of British AND European football and, with the infrastructure the Sheikh is building in front of eyes for "homegrown" global talent to blossom, we are only on the first few steps of a journey that SHOULD take us to previously only dreamed of heights.

There will be bumps along the way, and tears shed...both in joy and desperation...but Manchester City has changed for the better, and will no longer be the plucky, noisy neighbours that everyone fancies as their second "soft spot" team. That was all very nice, in a very paternalistic, subservient kind of way, but it is gone forever. I, for one, am happy about that!

We have joined the elite by rapidly growing at a time of global belt tightening, so (especially in England) the entire focus has centered on money, while people fail to recognize we have been merely playing catch up to the likes of the Liverpool of the 80s, United of the 90s, and Chelsea of the 00s. However, it is clear that, going forward, City's "Project Plan" is to add one or two marquee signings per season and blood a few of their best youngsters every year to see if we are building the quality we need for the future under FFP.

Personally, I think we are still very much in the frame for glory this season if that second half performance is seen 6 more times, but I am also looking forward to NEXT season already. With a few quality additions to THIS squad, a recycling of some of the previously believed, but no longer sufficient, "quality" and watching the progress of the likes of Huws, Rekik, Lopes, and possibly blooding a Cole or Huwala, the future of this club is bright. In fact.....

...THE FUTURE IS BLUE, and no-one can stop us from advancing our cause.

ChicagoBlue said:
Emotions have run high here today, but we need to keep things in the type of perspective that our ownership has taken in their building of the 21st Century Manchester City.

We are now firmly cemented into the top tier of British AND European football and, with the infrastructure the Sheikh is building in front of eyes for "homegrown" global talent to blossom, we are only on the first few steps of a journey that SHOULD take us to previously only dreamed of heights.

There will be bumps along the way, and tears shed...both in joy and desperation...but Manchester City has changed for the better, and will no longer be the plucky, noisy neighbours that everyone fancies as their second "soft spot" team. That was all very nice, in a very paternalistic, subservient kind of way, but it is gone forever. I, for one, am happy about that!

We have joined the elite by rapidly growing at a time of global belt tightening, so (especially in England) the entire focus has centered on money, while people fail to recognize we have been merely playing catch up to the likes of the Liverpool of the 80s, United of the 90s, and Chelsea of the 00s. However, it is clear that, going forward, City's "Project Plan" is to add one or two marquee signings per season and blood a few of their best youngsters every year to see if we are building the quality we need for the future under FFP.

Personally, I think we are still very much in the frame for glory this season if that second half performance is seen 6 more times, but I am also looking forward to NEXT season already. With a few quality additions to THIS squad, a recycling of some of the previously believed, but no longer sufficient, "quality" and watching the progress of the likes of Huws, Rekik, Lopes, and possibly blooding a Cole or Huwala, the future of this club is bright. In fact.....

...THE FUTURE IS BLUE, and no-one can stop us from advancing our cause.
Yes and we don't need to much convincing as we can see it happening

When the 2011/12 season seemed to be unravelling, it was hard to take, but we know that barring something unforeseen, we are here to stay

If the worst scenario comes and we don't win the title, barring a momentous cock up we will finish top three. Not that long ago qualifying for 4th we were holding street parties.

I remember when me and my mates had a party the moment we got 40 points and were safe for another year. How expectations have changed!!

Marvin said:
Yes and we don't need to much convincing as we can see it happening

When the 2011/12 season seemed to be unravelling, it was hard to take, but we know that barring something unforeseen, we are here to stay

Agreed.

After reading this Forum for hours, and feeling some of the pain and anger being expressed, I just thought it was time for a "Reality Check" of perspective.

I watched the game alone at home today, here in Chicago, as everyone else was sleeping in. I went through all the emotions that everyone went through, and was (apparently) quite audible, even to the upstairs bedrooms, as I shouted at the TV! However, I'm not steeped in it everywhere I look, and if don't have to face any Scousers or Rags at work tomorrow, so I think it is often easier for me to "rebound" after a difficult loss. Ergo, I thought I would express the calm, positivity and confidence I feel about the current team, squad, coaches, and infrastructure, as a way of bringing some slightly more distant perspective to the events of today (yesterday now for those in Manc).

Am a proud Blue, and have been watching City for about 45 years now. This is BY FAR the best team we have assembled since the almost-Mancunian team of the late 60s and early 70s, and I honestly believe the club is being reinvented to be the new Barcelona...possibly just as the old one starts it's fall from grace!

I'm not happy about today AT ALL, but I could not be happier for the long term outlook for MY CLUB!

CTID.

In the terms of that club won't ever be like it was before - yes. And there's going to be success, trophies won etc..

But there will always be 2-3 clubs in the league that will be able to challenge City domestically and with that in mind these phrases are only self-comforting. Same ones were done last season and in summer after the title win. Chelsea and Manchester United have as much power to buy top players as City have. Arsenal will be around, Liverpool too probably.

The fact is that this is one extremely talented and expensive group of players that have definitely underachieved so far, and if title is not won this year that's going to be even more significant.

Club usually needs years to build a team and when it's finally done, then not making goals that are expected is bad thing. If you don't make those goals when generation is on it's prime than you might find yourself years behind while building another one.

Premier League, FA Cup and League cup so far is not good enough. Champions League campaigns were not good enough. That has to change very, very soon or we might come into the cycle of several years of generation replacement and we'll see with Barca in next 2-3 years that's not a great thing. There's no Silvas, Agueros, Yayas everywhere around, jsut as there's no Messis, Xavis and Iniestas. Making the best from such players while you have them is what it is important.

I don't really understand what's wrong with this group of the players. I believe there is no team in the world currently that can play better football then them at times. Those half an hour today at our peak was as good as you'll see in football. But yet, there's "always" one to fuck up some games and make things going a step back. Are they mentally weak, or are they not managed on the highest level, I don't know. But it is frustrating.

MSP said:
I don't really understand what's wrong with this group of the players. I believe there is no team in the world currently that can play better football then them at times. Those half an hour today at our peak was as good as you'll see in football. But yet, there's "always" one to fuck up some games and make things going a step back. Are they mentally weak, or are they not managed on the highest level, I don't know. But it is frustrating.

I think it the MIX of players for this particular league that we lack. Were this a Spanish or Italian League team, it would be up there with the best. However, just like the top English players rarely go to either of those leagues, it is horses for courses. We have bought Lipizzano Stallions who can perform flawlessly, but very now and then you have to run a Grand National, and your "English" players have to drag the team through the game.

Liverpool have built a team for the PREMIERSHIP, utilizing some quality players that fit this mentality. That was ALWAYS Uniteds secret ingredient....Fergie knew who would and would NOT perform IN THIS LEAGUE. HE WON championships with the likes of Wes Brown, Darren Gibson, John O'Shea, and no pace AT ALL Michael Carrick has been his pivotal central midfielder for a fucking generation?!

SO, as many have already stated, today was a day for the likes of Milner, who gives you something Navas CAN NOT. It is not that Navas is not a good player, but he is not the RIGHT player for what this game was going to be. An English team HAS TO have at least a handful of players who are going to go both ways and put in a shift, SO that the likes of Merlin can perform. That MIX is where Pelle has to do his work for next season. Culture is a fine thing, and to be appreciated, but we need the right ingredients mixed together.

That would be comforting, but the same things were said last season. It really is frustrating how much this group has underachieved. How long can we keep saying this? Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal aren't going away.

NoahCity said:
That would be comforting, but the same things were said last season. It really is frustrating how much this group has underachieved. How long can we keep saying this? Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal aren't going away.

I agree, but then neither are we! Don't forget, the last two years we were #1 and #2, which is the best ever in the Prem and the old Football League!

The common thread is that the top teams in the Prem are ALL going to be run by large multinational investor groups with deep pockets designed to KEEP THEM AT THE TOP! If anyone is under the illusion that City have some divine right to win anything anytime, they are missing why this is such a good, competitive league.

Let's not forget, a few years ago, we were ALL talking about the Sky Four, and it did NOT include us!!

Today?? Not so much, eh?!

ChicagoBlue said:
NoahCity said:

I agree, but then neither are we!

The common thread is that the top teams in the Prem are ALL going to be run by large multinational investor groups with deep pockets designed to KEEP THEM AT THE TOP! If anyone is under the illusion that City have some divine right to win anything anytime, they are missing why this is such a good, competitive league.

Let's not forget, a few years ago, we were ALL talking about the Sky Four, and it did NOT include us!!

Today??
We need more hardmen this summer, the type of players Atletico has, people that will play like lions every game.

NoahCity said:
ChicagoBlue said:
NoahCity said:

I agree, but then neither are we!

Today??
We need more hardmen this summer, the type of players Atletico has, people that will play like lions every game.

I don't disagree, but the MIX has to be right for Pelle, so that we can continue to play OUR game. Lest anyone think Ferni and Yaya and Milner and Garcia and Kolarov can't get stuck in. I would beg to differ.

One thing I would do is get another quality left back and convert Kolarov to a real left midfielder. His attacking traits outweigh his LB qualities, but he will put in a tackle, and his crossing/whipping the ball in is the best in the league.

One CH, one LB, and strong CM and, if we are going to sell any forwards, a replacement. Get rid of Micah, Lescott, Barry and possibly Rodwell if Pelle's not interested in playing him. And, bring in Huws, Rekik and Lopes to the First Team Squad....and use them in the later stages of games, even if 5 minutes at a time!

DONE!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.