The future of pubs post COVID

Marlo

I am just wondering what people think will be the state of pubs when lockdown is removed? The perceived wisdom is that they along with sporting events will be the last to open. So best case scenario June-August with social distancing in place and the pub half full. But I just saw the head of Fullers saying that pubs opening and only serving half their capacity would go bust anyways. The other thing is it would be almost impossible to enact social distancing in so many pubs especially once you have people pissed up. It may be that the prices go up to compensate for this.

I would really fear for the small independent pubs, the big risk is the chains could withstand it and then Hoover up the smaller locally owned establishments.

I cant see pubs being allowed to open much before Christmas. Many of them will never recover and close. That said, most were struggling anyway. Chain ones, sizzlers and the like, do OK but the pubco's ruined it for independent landlords years ago. Also, I would say we are the last generation of blokes who go to the pub for a few pints regularly. The yoof go to 'bars' in city centres and even then they dont go until pushing midnight and are already pissed up before they go. These places close at about 3 or 4am and so is a weekend venture. Facebook/Instagram type lip pouters and photo feet crossers go to 'gin bars' or other such shite. I like going for a pint about 3 or 4pm and coming home for 8. It used to be a busy time but these days fewer and fewer people do it.
It is a perfect storm for conventional pubs and the boozers that frequent them, but this has only accelerated a trend that has been happening anyway

I think there'll be plenty opening who won't exactly be adhering to the guidelines when it comes to social distancing. Unfortunately, the ones that do will likely be in big financial trouble unless suppliers are prepared to take a short term hit for long term profit.

I cant see pubs being allowed to open much before Christmas. Many of them will never recover and close. That said, most were struggling anyway. Chain ones, sizzlers and the like, do OK but the pubco's ruined it for independent landlords years ago. Also, I would say we are the last generation of blokes who go to the pub for a few pints regularly. The yoof go to 'bars' in city centres and even then they dont go until pushing midnight and are already pissed up before they go. These places close at about 3 or 4am and so is a weekend venture. Facebook/Instagram type lip pouters and photo feet crossers go to 'gin bars' or other such shite. I like going for a pint about 3 or 4pm and coming home for 8. It used to be a busy time but these days fewer and fewer people do it.
It is a perfect storm for conventional pubs and the boozers that frequent them, but this has only accelerated a trend that has been happening anyway

You are right about it been a trend for years now, having said that I always thought a good pub with good food and staff that know how to create a nice atmosphere would survive. But this pandemic has hit them in a unprecedented way, especially given the weather recently a pub with a beer garden would made a fortune.

The other issue is how many people wont go back until it is safe with no risk. Drinking habits might well change after this.

You are right about it been a trend for years now, having said that I always thought a good pub with good food and staff that know how to create a nice atmosphere would survive. But this pandemic has hit them in a unprecedented way, especially given the weather recently a pub with a beer garden would made a fortune.

The other issue is how many people wont go back until it is safe with no risk. Drinking habits might well change after this.
Hopefully all sensible adults!

As long as Wetherspoons stays strong, we’re good
Fuck Wetherspoons. There is only thing that is any good about them and that is on a weekend trip away or before a planned session to watch a match or similar you can all meet up and have a pint with your breakfast and not feel guilty about it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.