The Gardening Thread

johnny on the spot

Gardening? Get in here.

Any tips/skill shares/knowledge/whatever.

I'm calling Spring in the air today, on 20 Feb 2014.

The crocuses and daffs are up, the snowdrops have peaked, the Hazels are showing their keys and the apples are starting to blossom.

Now's the time to be planting trees, (I'll be planting 900 in Durham next week).

Wilko's do half decent fruit trees at seven quid a pop (though they seem to be mainly MM106 rootstocks, which are a bit big for the small garden.

I chuckle at gardeners sign written vans,like"Premier landscape solutions"
"Bespoke Horti bollocks design company"

My favourite on a transit i saw last summer,
"I fought The Lawn And The Lawn Won"

I want some fast growing trees but not conifers. Preferably evergreen and cheap if pos???

pieface said:

Ha. Mine just reads 'Landscape and Garden Services'.

KpxSte said:
I want some fast growing trees but not conifers. Preferably evergreen and cheap if pos???

How high do you need them?

GTFI, i wanted to start a gardening thread but assumed it would get a wide berth with users thinking i'd just bang on about weed.
Good call Johnny.

Ok i have today turned my borders over and veg patch.
As a tip for this post use bits of brick/broken slabs etc all over your exposed soil in winter, it helps stopping cats delegating your garden as the communal bog.
Also buy a scott american bulldog x red nose pitbull, they really help.

My veg patch is virgin so any ideas for what to grow would be great, also the strain you recommend i.e. chantenay carrots
Gonna use all my old indoor soil (plagron batmix) in the veg patch, loads of nutrients ready to go for the veg.

Also just bought 3 x 600w hps osram for my indoor growing, never use lamps longer than 6months (2-3 flowerings) as it's par and lumens drop of a lot.

My new fav thread for the rest of the year :)

TCIB said:
GTFI, i wanted to start a gardening thread but assumed it would get a wide berth with users thinking i'd just bang on about weed.
Good call Johnny.

Ok i have today turned my borders over and veg patch.
As a tip for this post use bits of brick/broken slabs etc all over your exposed soil in winter, it helps stopping cats delegating your garden as the communal bog.
Also buy a scott american bulldog x red nose pitbull, they really help.

My new fav thread for the rest of the year :)

Or use the permaculture method and use sheet mulching? Saves digging and is far better for the environment. I haven't dug for three years.

Cheers TCIB, we need a dedicated thread as a lot of people garden and a lot of it's straight off the shelf rip-off stuff from B&Q etc. I'd also like to see if we can get folk to put down the sprays and engage a little more with Nature and help our pollinators and native species get on with their lives.

I have read through some stuff info you gave me mate and i found a land share place not far from me in Pudsey.
Gonna give them a hand if needed (graft based stuff ofc at first nothing to skilled)

Ok gonna read up on mulching now, any links you recommend bud ?

Just this minute got in from a wee Spring tidy up. Already ploughed up the bluebells in an attempt to get rid of them.

Gonna get some fruit trees in a bit of wasted space, any reccomendations?

Go ma whack some weed/feed/mosskiller down soon to get an early start on the lawn. Will give it a spike, aerate and scarify once the moss is dead.

johnny on the spot said:
pieface said:

Ha. Mine just reads 'Landscape and Garden Services'.

KpxSte said:

How high do you need them?
anything between 2 and 4 metres

Gardening..Ha! I've still got two foot of frozen snow over my yard, don't expect to see any new green leaves until april at the earliest. Have some pepper starters in the house and might be able to plough my way to the green house next month. It was -15c this morning

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.