The Greengrocer's Apostrophe

Another thread showing the arrogance of Didsbury Dave and his disdain towards normal people.He thinks that he is the end-all, be-all , and anybody else who isn't like him are worthless and should be wiped out from the face of the earth.

quiet_riot said:
Soulboy said:
Actually, I think you can use the term "till" within the context of City till I die.

You can use 'til and till for the same purposes, they are interchangeable.

I stand to be corrected, but I had a lengthy correspondence about this very subject one time a few years ago!

No, "till" is a machine in which one puts money.
I once sent for a 'City 'til I Die' wristband, and sent it back due to it actually saying "City Till I Die". The company never refunded my money, even though I was right!

There's a link here which I'll let Soulboy come clean about.<br /><br />-- Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:47 pm --<br /><br />
Ragnarok said:
Another thread showing the arrogance of Didsbury Dave and his disdain towards normal people.He thinks that he is the end-all, be-all , and anybody else who isn't like him are worthless and should be wiped out from the face of the earth.

It's "be-all and end-all" actually.

quiet_riot said:
Soulboy said:
Actually, I think you can use the term "till" within the context of City till I die.

You can use 'til and till for the same purposes, they are interchangeable.

I stand to be corrected, but I had a lengthy correspondence about this very subject one time a few years ago!

I once sent for a 'City 'til I Die' wristband, and sent it back due to it actually saying "City Till I Die". The company never refunded my money, even though I was right!

As per the Oxford English Dictionary...

Till - a less formal way of saying until.

Trust me mate, I had a lengthy argument going on with someone about this ( I actually spelled it "'til" and was told it was wrong!)... but it was finally agreed that either way was acceptable.

Unless someone knows different...?

Soulboy said:
quiet_riot said:

Trust me mate, I had a lengthy argument going on with someone about this ( I actually spelled it "'til" and was told it was wrong!)... but it was finally agreed that either way was acceptable.

Are you sure that shouldn't be "spelt" ?

tueartsboots said:
Soulboy said:

I thought you made bread with that....

;)

Soulboy said:
tueartsboots said:

;)
Lol ! And to back you up:
"Till and ’til are actually two different words with two different etymologies. Till is the earlier form, attested as early as 1330; Until is actually derived from till, not the other way around as in ’til (a backformation which showed up much later). Both are common, so it’s up to you which one you like. Till is commoner in Scotland, where it can be used like dative to in some situations, while ’til is commoner in the U.S. Take your pick."

Soulboy said:
tueartsboots said:

;)

Actually, joshing apart... spelt is fine.

As is spelled.

It's a bit like "'til" or "till".. they're all interchangeable.

But nice to see we have the Grammar Police queuing up to have a pop at me even when they're wrong!<br /><br />-- Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm --<br /><br />
tueartsboots said:
Soulboy said:

;)
"Till and ’til are actually two different words with two different etymologies. Till is the earlier form, attested as early as 1330; Until is actually derived from till, not the other way around as in ’til (a backformation which showed up much later). Both are common, so it’s up to you which one you like. Till is commoner in Scotland, where it can be used like dative to in some situations, while ’til is commoner in the U.S. Take your pick."

So to unpick your copied response from the Internet... I was right?

Soulboy said:
Soulboy said:

;)

As is spelled.

But nice to see we have the Grammar Police queuing up to have a pop at me even when they're wrong!

-- Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm --

tueartsboots said:

Yes, you are quite correct. As is the use of either "spelled" or "spelt" are both interchangeable.

tueartsboots said:
Soulboy said:

As is spelled.

But nice to see we have the Grammar Police queuing up to have a pop at me even when they're wrong!

-- Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm --

Yes, you are quite correct. As is the use of either "spelled" or "spelt" are both interchangeable.

Cheers mate. That makes me feel good!

Ah, all those years of writing articles and reports have finally paid off!

I was crapping myself I might have got it wrong, though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.