The Greengrocer's Apostrophe

quiet_riot said:
Soulboy said:
As per the Oxford English Dictionary...

Till - a less formal way of saying until.

Trust me mate, I had a lengthy argument going on with someone about this ( I actually spelled it "'til" and was told it was wrong!)... but it was finally agreed that either way was acceptable.

Unless someone knows different...?

Hmm.

I'd argue that 'Till' is a noun, and also its lack of an apostrophe denotes that it's not been shortened, per se.
However, the Oxford is pretty accurate, so maybe I'll admit defeat! I'll still use "'til", though!

Bet you're kicking yourself about the wristband now! Still, at least you have the "Kaka" tattoo :)

Poor spelling and "txt speak" drives me spare — especially at university where Communications students are unable to communicate properly.

It's okay to type in shorthand in the Internet, but for mine it falls into the category of "practice makes perfect".

And for mine, I always thought you "spelled" a word, but if you did it incorrectly, it became "misspelt".

Wheelsy said:
Poor spelling and "txt speak" drives me spare — especially at university where Communications students are unable to communicate properly.

It's okay to type in shorthand in the Internet, but for mine it falls into the category of "practice makes perfect".

And for mine, I always thought you "spelled" a word, but if you did it incorrectly, it became "misspelt".

?

Wheelsy said:

"spelled" is an Americanisation of "Spelt", both mean the same. Same with "Dreamed" and "Dreamt"

Hmm. But then, I'd cry over spilt milk.

There's a bit of a crossover between US and UK English here, and some things are taken from each.

I know what you're saying, Didsbury dave, and agree wholeheartedly.
I work as an English teacher in Germany and take photos of every badly-written sign I see (would love to share some, but unfortunately not allowed to post photos yet!).
You see these apostrophe problems all over Germany.
Have to admit though, the last time I was back in Manc, I saw some disgraceful signs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.