#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If passing the ball forwards was a sign of a great player, Ederson would be the best player in the world. You are using your disapproval of a player to say he cant do things, when evidence says he can. Just recycling the ball is one of the most important parts of the Pep way of playing. His role is to recycle, keep the ball moving and if that is sideways of backwards there is a point to it, it stretches defences, it works defenders, when the ball is moving, the other teams players have to move with the ball, your own players don't. That creates space for the likes of Kev who can find the magical pass.

There is a whole room to argue politics, I will not argue it here.
There is a time and a place to pass the ball sideways and backwards. But ALL the time isn’t it.

We’re at our best when playing at a high tempo. Gundogan slows us down, both in possession and out.

Lee Cattermole can plod around the centre circle and play no-risk percentage passes square and backwards all day. It’s not difficult to do.

You also completely side-stepped Gundogan making tackles. Rather like the man himself.

Most underrated player in the team, who has now been made a convenient scapegoat for our poor performance last season.
Not to forget that of all the midfielders we have he is only one who can be classified as a proper No.8 -
possibly why guardiola plays him so much.

There is a time and a place to pass the ball sideways and backwards. But ALL the time isn’t it.

We’re at our best when playing at a high tempo. Gundogan slows us down, both in possession and out.

Lee Cattermole can plod around the centre circle and play no-risk percentage passes square and backwards all day. It’s not difficult to do.

You also completely side-stepped Gundogan making tackles. Rather like the man himself.
He doesn't pass it sideways or backwards all the time, resorting to hyperbole is rather silly. A 5 yard square pass can take out 3 players, a 15 yard forward pass might lose you possession. Possession is key to how we play, we keep the ball. If we have the ball we have no need to make tackles. Your comparison with Cattermole is rather silly and to think what Gundogan does is not hard to do under plays it enormously. The speed of the PL and the press of other teams makes those 5 yard ball even more important as they beat the press and allow our more creative players space.

Football has moved on from your 1970s version of the game, its more technical and Gundogan is a superb technician.

You don't rate him, fair enough, perhaps we could call Gerry Gow out of retirement, he could tackle.

Haha - well said.

He doesn't pass it sideways or backwards all the time, resorting to hyperbole is rather silly. A 5 yard square pass can take out 3 players, a 15 yard forward pass might lose you possession. Possession is key to how we play, we keep the ball. If we have the ball we have no need to make tackles. Your comparison with Cattermole is rather silly and to think what Gundogan does is not hard to do under plays it enormously. The speed of the PL and the press of other teams makes those 5 yard ball even more important as they beat the press and allow our more creative players space.

Football has moved on from your 1970s version of the game, its more technical and Gundogan is a superb technician.

You don't rate him, fair enough, perhaps we could call Gerry Gow out of retirement, he could tackle.
Are you really sure you've really watched gundogun play? When have you ever seen him beat 3 players with a pass. Superb technician he is not. For me he is the worst player in the city side at the moment, possibly for a very long time. I haven't seen any other city player shirk not just from tackles but also from receiving a pass - because he's afraid he will lose the ball. He's nothing but a coward

Gundo is a fine player & shouldn't get half the flak he does.
Now, if you want to slag Mahrez, go ahead

Are you really sure you've really watched gundogun play? When have you ever seen him beat 3 players with a pass. Superb technician he is not. For me he is the worst player in the city side at the moment, possibly for a very long time. I haven't seen any other city player shirk not just from tackles but also from receiving a pass - because he's afraid he will lose the ball. He's nothing but a coward
This whole post is a steaming pile of dog turd.

I've seen him beat 3 players with a pass lots of times. He's a great passer of the ball, even if he's weak in other areas.

Worst player in the City side at the moment? Have you seen our options at left back?

Worst possibly in a long time? Where to start with that one!

Nothing but a coward - says the anonymous so called 'supporter' slinging abuse from behind his keyboard.

Nothing but a coward - says the anonymous so called 'supporter' slinging abuse from behind his keyboard.

I'm reminded of another player from Germany who wasn't sexy enough for the City support and who often got called a coward. That bloke went on to win pretty much every trophy on the planet after he left us.

Gundogan has been badly missed the last few weeks and his return will bring some control back to our midfield.

Last edited:
I have never been to a game in my life. He is good on FIFA.

Reactions: mat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.