#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look forward to you taking over as manager someday.

I miss the relegation battles
He speaks a lot of sense though. The way we play against Madrid and Liverpool is completely different from the way we play against everyone else. We don't have as much possession, and we play like how most sides play against us - on the counter. There's less pressure on gundogun to create or make those silky passes, which he isn't good at anyway. And defensively as the rest of the team are in containment mode, he has ample support from everyone else and he comes across as doing a decent job.

He speaks a lot of sense though. The way we play against Madrid and Liverpool is completely different from the way we play against everyone else. We don't have as much possession, and we play like how most sides play against us - on the counter. There's less pressure on gundogun to create or make those silky passes, which he isn't good at anyway. And defensively as the rest of the team are in containment mode, he has ample support from everyone else and he comes across as doing a decent job.
Do you realise other teams arn't as good as Liverpool and Real. Sometimes we cant dominate and have to try and counter what the other team do. Gundogan is not the main creator, he is the recycler for our other more creative players. Against teams who play similar to us and keep the ball well, we need players who also keep the ball well. If we have the ball, the other team cant score and those 5 yard passes backwards sideways wherever keep the ball moving and away from their players. The ball does the work and the other team have to counter where the ball moves too. That conserves our energy and drains there energy. That Is why possession is so important. It is harder to defend without the ball as the whole team is playing and reacting against one man at a time. That makes space because you are pulling opposition players across the park, your own players can almost stand still or ghost into areas where the opposition team have vacated.

As for Aouar. the as time I looked he doesn't play for us so I don't know why he is even being spoke about as this is not fantasy football and from what I have seen he wouldn't do the job Gundogan does anyway. He is a good player yes, but so is Pogba and even Henderson but neither would be right for us because they don't play the way Gundogan does.

There is a real misconception that every midfielder has to be able to be a world beating passer of the ball, not even the great Barca side had that, they had Busquets doing the job that Gundogan does for us, which is recycle and give it to the more creative players and keep possession. Recycling and winning the ball is two different jobs as well, under Pep we defend from the front and the forward players are the first line of defence, the age of the midfield hard man has gone, you wouldn't see a Gerry Gow in the premier anymore because he was not good enough as a footballer bless him. He was great at winning the ball, but not so good once he had it.

I get our fans need a scapegoat, we have always had one that the fans like to moan about, from Paul Power to Richard Edgehill to Stefan Savic, Gundogan seems the player now in fashion to be the one to moan about. The facts say different though, he plays for Germany who are one best teams on the planet, he plays for City one of the best club teams in the world and still you have to fucking moan and whinge like little girls and play some idealised game of fantasy football in your heads where everyone scores 10 a game and we win ever game 100-0

Now you may not rate him, I have players I don't rate as well as football is a game of opinions, most of which are inconsequential because we have no say who gets picked thank fuck. Don't be a sheep though and follow fashion though, Gundogan might not be Kev but then who is, he might not be Silva but then who is, but what he does he does well and is an integral part of one of the best squads in our history and if he is picked to play I trust the best manager in our history has a good reason to pick him. You may not, that is fine, but to be honest I prefer the tactical nous of a man who has won loads of trophies over some kids who once won the FA Cup playing FIFA 2006.

Have fun everyone and keep smiling :))

Do you realise other teams arn't as good as Liverpool and Real. Sometimes we cant dominate and have to try and counter what the other team do. Gundogan is not the main creator, he is the recycler for our other more creative players. Against teams who play similar to us and keep the ball well, we need players who also keep the ball well. If we have the ball, the other team cant score and those 5 yard passes backwards sideways wherever keep the ball moving and away from their players. The ball does the work and the other team have to counter where the ball moves too. That conserves our energy and drains there energy. That Is why possession is so important. It is harder to defend without the ball as the whole team is playing and reacting against one man at a time. That makes space because you are pulling opposition players across the park, your own players can almost stand still or ghost into areas where the opposition team have vacated.

As for Aouar. the as time I looked he doesn't play for us so I don't know why he is even being spoke about as this is not fantasy football and from what I have seen he wouldn't do the job Gundogan does anyway. He is a good player yes, but so is Pogba and even Henderson but neither would be right for us because they don't play the way Gundogan does.

There is a real misconception that every midfielder has to be able to be a world beating passer of the ball, not even the great Barca side had that, they had Busquets doing the job that Gundogan does for us, which is recycle and give it to the more creative players and keep possession. Recycling and winning the ball is two different jobs as well, under Pep we defend from the front and the forward players are the first line of defence, the age of the midfield hard man has gone, you wouldn't see a Gerry Gow in the premier anymore because he was not good enough as a footballer bless him. He was great at winning the ball, but not so good once he had it.

I get our fans need a scapegoat, we have always had one that the fans like to moan about, from Paul Power to Richard Edgehill to Stefan Savic, Gundogan seems the player now in fashion to be the one to moan about. The facts say different though, he plays for Germany who are one best teams on the planet, he plays for City one of the best club teams in the world and still you have to fucking moan and whinge like little girls and play some idealised game of fantasy football in your heads where everyone scores 10 a game and we win ever game 100-0

Now you may not rate him, I have players I don't rate as well as football is a game of opinions, most of which are inconsequential because we have no say who gets picked thank fuck. Don't be a sheep though and follow fashion though, Gundogan might not be Kev but then who is, he might not be Silva but then who is, but what he does he does well and is an integral part of one of the best squads in our history and if he is picked to play I trust the best manager in our history has a good reason to pick him. You may not, that is fine, but to be honest I prefer the tactical nous of a man who has won loads of trophies over some kids who once won the FA Cup playing FIFA 2006.

I look forward to you taking over as manager someday ;)

fucking bang on

Forums/social media tend to bring out the worst aspects of this. Opinions are quickly polarised and people feel they need to be more and more extreme to 'prove' something. Hence you end up with comments like "he can't tackle" "he's not intelligent" "he can't pass forward" - all stuff that objectively is untrue, but is being characterised as not just fact, but obvious fact.

Will keep coming back to the same thing - whilst no manager is perfect and managers will often make mistakes, to suggest that Gundo is Pep's blind spot is IMO wildly incorrect.

Of course comments like 'he can't pass forward' and 'he can't tackle' aren't true if it's being said unequivocally.

He can do those things, he's just not very good at them and doesn't do it enough. This is clear when watching him and in the statistical analysis' done previously about him as well.

The very thing you're claiming others of doing is the exact thing that you're actually doing. You've formed your opinion, and because of that, no amount of evidence will change it. You're seemingly making more and more dubious claims about the guy with each post you make defending him.

In my experience, supporters who lay into players mainly do so because they want what is absolute best for the team, and that's where their agenda lies. I don't see any of this being personal about Gundogan.... he's just not very good and doesn't fit the team or the league well.

Supporters who support and cling to certain players seem to run their agenda differently, along individual lines. They tend to lose focus of what the big picture is and forget that it's about the team, and not individual players that they're running their petty agenda through.

Last edited:
Of course comments like 'he can't pass forward' and 'he can't tackle' aren't true if it's being said unequivocally.

He can do those things, he's just not very good at them and doesn't do it enough. This is clear when watching him and in the statistical analysis' done previously about him as well.

The very thing you're claiming others of doing is the exact thing that you're actually doing. You've formed your opinion, and because of that, no amount of evidence will change it. You're seemingly making more and more dubious claims about the guy with each post you make defending him.

In my experience, supporters who lay into players mainly do so because they want what is absolute best for the team, and that's where their agenda lies. I don't see any of this being personal about Gundogan.... he's just not very good and doesn't fit the team or the league well.

Supporters who support and cling to certain players seem to run their agenda differently, along individual lines. They tend to lose focus of what the big picture is and forget that it's about the team, and not individual players that they're running their petty agenda through.
Further to that.....because others don't share their thoughts,some go further by attempting to undermine the opinion of others,and that usually presents by way of the 'scapegoat' accusation.

I always find it amusing/coincidental that one persons scapegoat is another's persons pudding.

Not very good in comparison to who. Because he plays for a top club and a top national team so who are you comparing him too. Is it managers of Germany, Dortmund, City who cant see it or do they look at what they have in comparison and decide he is the best option and they are/were wrong or is Gundogan's fault because he isn't Kevin De Bruyne.

Not very good is something I would associate with fat Mick who turns out on a sunday morning because you are a player short. He isn't very good but makes up the numbers.

What i find hilarious about Gundogan critics is the continued reference that Gundogan and Rodri cant play together and they slow the game down , but its Gundogan who gets it in the neck, how about having a dig at Pep for making the selection or start a "Rodri blindsport" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.