The Hard Way

From memory, we always pull it out of the bag on the final day when promotion or title is on the line
Charlton 5-1
Bradford 1-1
Gillingham penners
Blackburn 4-1
QPR 3-2
Brighton 4-1
Villa 3-2

Can’t remember us failing in my lifetime on any last day. All of those games bar Charlton & Brighton we were on the ropes only to fight back. Love it

The way it's gone in my time as a fan is that when we've had something positive to fight for on the last day (i.e. a title or promotion), we've managed to do it, as your list above proves. The only one where we failed, which is missing from your post, is the 1-1 draw at home to Boro in May 2005 when a win would have ensured qualification for the UEFA Cup and Robbie Fowler missed a penalty late on.

On the other hand, when a relegation fight has gone down to the last day, we've always dropped - see Luton in 1983, West Ham in 1987, Liverpool in 1996 and Stoke in 1998. We were mathematically still able to go down on the last day of the 1993/4 season as well, but that required several other relegation-threatened teams all to win and a big turnaround in goal difference as well, so we were practically certain to survive come what may. We drew 1-1 at Sheffield Wednesday in any event.

From memory, we always pull it out of the bag on the final day when promotion or title is on the line
Charlton 5-1
Bradford 1-1
Gillingham penners
Blackburn 4-1
QPR 3-2
Brighton 4-1
Villa 3-2

Can’t remember us failing in my lifetime on any last day. All of those games bar Charlton & Brighton we were on the ropes only to fight back. Love it
You missed West Ham 2-0

Jesus Christ you don't half like getting put through the ringer.

Similar to 10 years ago when I thought "I can't believe they've blown it" and once again you managed to turn it around.

Comgratualtions on winning the title, have a beer or 10 and lock yourself in a darkened room for the summer :)
Cheers and best wishes for promotion next season from this Hillsborough based Blue.

Loads of City shirts get on and off at Sheffield station. (mind you you'd be mad to attempt to drive via the A57 these days).

Charlton 5-1
Bradford 1-1
Gillingham penners
Blackburn 4-1
QPR 3-2
Brighton 4-1
Villa 3-2

Don't forget West Ham 2-0 in 2014.

Fair comment. But most on here would lump the Luton game in with other "famous last days"
Luton was probably the worst ever for me, run close by Stoke relegation which just left me feeling numb

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.