The Holistic Approach

A A

Anonymous

For those who were pining for the likes of Cavani and Falcao this summer.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/jul/30/big-transfer-comfort-food-clubs?CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... CMP=twt_gu</a>

Of particular interest are the last few paragraphs which pertain to City.

Dortmund and Bayern both seem to have bought sensibly, answering specific needs in their squad, while the Brendan Rodgers project at Liverpool, however clouded it may be in guruspeak, has the virtue of being a project, of buying a particular type of player to fit an overall scheme. But actually, the club who have probably performed best so far in the transfer market are Manchester City.

The club were much mocked for saying Roberto Mancini had been sacked as part of a drive to a more "holistic" approach, but the coherence of their philosophy is becoming increasingly clear.

The chief executive Ferran Soriano said in March that City would look to bring in "three or four players" and that he felt they had made the squad bigger but not better the previous summer. Sure enough, four major players have arrived: none of them perhaps are absolutely stellar names but the role of each in the squad is clear.

Fernandinho adds a creative edge from deep and can release Yaya Touré; Jesús Navas adds pace and penetration on the right; Alvaro Negredo and Stevan Jovetic relieve the pressure on Sergio Agüero, Negredo offering muscularity and goals and Jovetic technical ability and cover not just at centre-forward but as a second striker or a wide man.

Theirs has been a calm, coherent spree. Perhaps, given the determined Luddism that still governs large parts of English footballing culture, "holistic" wasn't the wisest choice of words, but as others snatch at stars, they have taken a major step towards the harmonious style that has brought success to Barcelona and Bayern.

BillyShears said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/jul/30/big-transfer-comfort-food-clubs?CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... CMP=twt_gu</a>

Dortmund and Bayern both seem to have bought sensibly, answering specific needs in their squad, while the Brendan Rodgers project at Liverpool, however clouded it may be in guruspeak, has the virtue of being a project, of buying a particular type of player to fit an overall scheme. But actually, the club who have probably performed best so far in the transfer market are Manchester City.

The club were much mocked for saying Roberto Mancini had been sacked as part of a drive to a more "holistic" approach, but the coherence of their philosophy is becoming increasingly clear.

The chief executive Ferran Soriano said in March that City would look to bring in "three or four players" and that he felt they had made the squad bigger but not better the previous summer. Sure enough, four major players have arrived: none of them perhaps are absolutely stellar names but the role of each in the squad is clear.

Fernandinho adds a creative edge from deep and can release Yaya Touré; Jesús Navas adds pace and penetration on the right; Alvaro Negredo and Stevan Jovetic relieve the pressure on Sergio Agüero, Negredo offering muscularity and goals and Jovetic technical ability and cover not just at centre-forward but as a second striker or a wide man.

Theirs has been a calm, coherent spree. Perhaps, given the determined Luddism that still governs large parts of English footballing culture, "holistic" wasn't the wisest choice of words, but as others snatch at stars, they have taken a major step towards the harmonious style that has brought success to Barcelona and Bayern.
I like that part there.

The spoilt ones in the transfer forum added an element of comedy, I thought.

Pigeonho said:
I like that part there.

I think it's an accurate description of how Pellegrini, Txiki, and Ferran will run the club. No matter how much we've enjoyed the last few years, I believe that what comes next really will be the building of a footballing empire.

BillyShears said:

We did look long and hard at signing Cavani, though. We just realised he wasn't worth anything like what his transfer fee ended up being.

BillyShears said:
Pigeonho said:
I like that part there.

I think it's an accurate description of how Pellegrini, Txiki, and Ferran will run the club. No matter how much we've enjoyed the last few years, I believe that what comes next really will be the building of a footballing empire.
Exactly. I mean I look at that photo of Cavani there going to PSG and it is where we were not so long ago, wondering how such big names would all mix. We add quality now, rather than a huge name in the game, and when you look at the 4 we've added it is precisely that - quality - and makes far more sense than bringing in a name just because. I'm more excited about this season than I have been any other if truth be told. The squad looks solid, with quality everywhere and that togetherness now where the new additions seem to just slot in.

It was Van Persie's goals that won the title for United last season, and I have a sneaking feeling that it will be Rooney's that win the title for Chelsea this season. You can tell me how wonderful this new 'holistic' approach is at the end of the season when the title's in the bag. Until then, I'm a sceptic I'm afraid.

BillyShears said:
Pigeonho said:
I like that part there.

I have a hope that in 3 years or so, Vieira moves up from the EDS, and brings with him a handful of young talent scouted from around the world and trained in the new campus ready to step up at the top level.
In my imagination I have a picture in my head of him marching over the new bridge as in the old Mancini flag and squad pic.

hgblue said:
It was Van Persie's goals that won the title for United last season, and I have a sneaking feeling that it will be Rooney's that win the title for Chelsea this season. You can tell me how wonderful this new 'holistic' approach is at the end of the season when the title's in the bag. Until then, I'm a sceptic I'm afraid.

What was the alternative?

hgblue said:

As much as it is always said, RVP goals did not win them the league, the team won the league same as it is every season.

RVP scored more goals for arsenal the previous year so if it really was purely down to his goals why didnt arsenal win the league in 2011-12. Fact is the rags were better in most departments, and even when they werent they found a way to win where we lost and drew.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.