The home brew thread

Taximania said:
What beer or lager has most impressed you Tom.
Regards to strength body and quality clarity and also downright supp-ability.

Just started off the Woodfords werry tonight.
Really looking forward to trying this one due to good reviews.

Do you secondary ferment in to a fresh bin and then onto a keg or do you personally just bottle after fermentation is finished.
Whats worked best for you ?

Going to start off a few lagers on Monday if my head allows from Sunday's frolicks.
Coopers European and a Muntons gold continental pilsner

The Muntons gold it says embodies the full character of European lager style beers – light and delicate, yet richly satisfying. This beer preserves the delicate balance of natural hop bitterness with the sweetness of malt and is best served cold at about 5C or 41F
This comes recommended from the home brew chappie we just dealt with who has brewed this with additional hops to enhance the pilsner even further saying it was extremely palatable and refreshing.

Little more patience required with the lagers but do prefer them in the summer months
the first larger i did was coopers European larger came out great better than fosters or the like so did that one again {all well supped} bottled it after about ten days if i remember right
got a larger on now from lovebrewing.co.uk its called southern gold digger fist time i've used them
might transfer it into another bucket a week before bottling
not done keging yet im not organised enough yet ha

Going to do a combo of both Tom.
I Have the king keg and will just siphon into that and top up co2 as required.
Also bottling as well but not relishing the sterilization of all my ex steinhausser bottles I have accumulated.
Only mentioned the secondary racking or siphoning into another fermentation vessel pre-bottling as there appears to be difference a of opinion on the subject matter.
I was under the impression that racking to another fermentation tub helps get the beer off the trub or dregs and assists it it clarify more quickly.
Also it would seem getting the beer off the trub helps prevent off flavors the yeast will start imparting over time .
Other side of the debate seems to recommend simple transferal to keg or bottles owing to the risk of infection and oxidization secondary racking can impart
On my first batch I will calculate when fermentation more or less has stopped and simply add finings and then a few days later transfer to my king keg.
Have to say the house is becoming to smell a bit like Mary dee's but its a nice smell ,a really really nice smell indeed.
The waiting game is the hardest part.
Going to bed now as up pretty early to finish of the garden and hopefully find time to oil the decking.
And all before dinner time eh. !
Then its shit shower shave and ceremonially don the hallowed colours before catching the tram to happyville and god willing a much deserved victory.
Adios pal and enjoy your day tomorrow.

Done some more research and this is the best answer I can find with regards to racking.
Kit ales should not really require this all though it helps with clarity.
Lagers are a somewhat different entity.
Using a two stage fermentation requires a good understanding of the fermentation process. At any time, racking the beer cn adversely affect it because of potential oxygen exposure and contamination risk.
Racking the beer before the Primary fermentation phase has completed can result in a stuck or incomplete fermentation and too high a final gravity.
As mentioned simple extract ales like my kit form do not need to be racked to a secondary fermenter.
It can improve clarity and aspects of the flavor, but best wait until the second or thid beer when we have more experience with the brewing processes.
Reason for racking to a Secondary Fermenter is to prevent yeast breakdown called autolysis, and the inervbitable bad taste dished out to the beer.
This will not be a problem for relatively short fermentation-time ale beers. Other beer types, like Lagers and some high-gravity beer styles, need to be racked to a sIcondary because there sit on the yeast for a longer periods of time.

Taken from t'internet
The following is a general schedule for a simple ale beer using a secondary fermenter.
Allow the Primary Fermentation stage to wind down. This will be 3-4 days after pitching when the bubbling rate drops off dramatically to about 1-5 per minute. Using a sanitized siphon (no sucking!), rack the beer off the trub into a another clean fermenter and affix an airlock. The beer should still be fairly cloudy with suspended yeast. Racking from the primary may be done at any time after primary fermentation has more-or-less completed.(Although if it has been more than two weeks, you may as well bottle.) Most brewers will notice a brief increase in activity after racking, but then all activity may cease. This is very normal. Fermentation (Conditioning) is still taking place, so just leave it alone. A minimum useful time in the secondary fermenter is two weeks. Overly long times in the secondary (for ales- more than 6 weeks) may require the addition of fresh yeast at bottling time for good carbonation. This is usually not a concern.

Enough of these trivial worry's
Its football time
Happy days ;

Going to order that Woodford Werry stuff at that price!

How many fermenting tubs do you have taxi, what with starting a few at a time? I've only got the one.

If you wash all your bottles in the dishwasher, then sterilise and fill a sink of solution, it's much easier and faster - then rinse in hot water once all sterilised. Took me about half an hour in total with 45 bottles.

Hiya paal.
In turks ed in madchester at the mo.
Fine place .
Got 4 fermentin bins and one king keg which is the dogs bollocks.
King keg has 4 inch top cap so you can get yiur paws in to clean.
Top tap as well to keep away from any remaining sedement.
Use co2 catdidges fir regaszin.
But listen to this one pal wilkis have 25 % off at the mo so the fermentin bins ars only 7 pounds.
Happy days .
The woodfords werry at 14 pounds is an absolute steal.
Got to go were moving on to lyyods.
Have a great game pal
Adios
Ps lagers are gonna be ripped out at 3 weekz intervalz for the world cup.
Muntons gold pilsner and coopers european.
Hapy days eh !

RP2 said:
Going to order that Woodford Werry stuff at that price!

How many fermenting tubs do you have taxi, what with starting a few at a time? I've only got the one.

If you wash all your bottles in the dishwasher, then sterilise and fill a sink of solution, it's much easier and faster - then rinse in hot water once all sterilised. Took me about half an hour in total with 45 bottles.

I love your posts in this topic "taximania"; the biggest advocate of home brew I've ever come across. I've always wanted to attempt the home brewing, and with the World Cup looming I'd love to have a few bottles of my own lager ready to go for it, along with the BBQ's.

I can remember me dad doing it early 80's. I didn't drink then but me older brother told me it used to blow his brains out

Yep nibz,there are indeed some strong ales out there.
Donner and blitzed skull crusher and the black pearl
But also some great "session ales" around the 4% mark for spending a pleasant afternoon in the garden with whilst you prune the hydrangers.
Kits are good and can be manipulated to suite the individual palate as can the strength by the addition of dextrose.
Give it a go pal as they have improved beyond recognition now
Interesting to hear of any lurking brewers out there with some recipes or recommended brews of the day
No Tetley gags ;

-nibz- said:
I can remember me dad doing it early 80's. I didn't drink then but me older brother told me it used to blow his brains out

TINY said:
How does one "put" gas in the lager and bottle it?

It's called secondary fermentation. The lager continues to ferment in the bottle, creating it's own carbonation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.