The idiocy (and selfishness) of panic buying

Yes, they would say ‘loo’.

Ultra Soft....

51N4LKoLd7L.jpg

Majority not stockpiling but buying ‘a little extra, a little bit more often’
Extra demand in supermarkets is being driven by people buying a few extra items and making more trips, rather than shoppers grabbing large amounts of the same product in one go, data suggests.

Sales of toilet tissue rose by 60% year-on-year for the week ending March 8 2020, while dry pasta sales were up 55% and baked beans by 48%, according to Kantar.

But the company said evidence suggests that shortages are not being caused by "stockpiling", but by people picking up a few extra items more often.

Analysing the shopping habits of more than 100,000 UK consumers, Kantar found that a minority of people are engaging in what might traditionally be thought of as stockpiling.

For example, 6% of liquid soap buyers have taken home extraordinary quantities, and only 3% of dry pasta shoppers.

The average spend per supermarket trip rose by 16% in the week ending March 17 to £22.13 compared to the same week a month ago.

As consumers reallocated spend to groceries, supermarkets took 51% of all retail sales – an increase of seven percentage points on mid-February, Kantar said.

Customers are also choosing to shop more often, exacerbating the impact of slightly larger baskets.

An additional 15 million supermarket visits were made in the week ending March 17, compared to the week ending February 17.

Fraser McKevitt, head of retail and consumer insight at Kantar, said: "Most of us have seen images circulating online of people bulk-buying products like toilet rolls and pasta, but our data gives us a different, if counter-intuitive, diagnosis of what's happening.

"Ultimately we need to look at the empirical evidence and it tells us that temporary shortages are being caused by people adding just a few extra items and shopping more often – behaviour that consumers wouldn't necessarily think of as stockpiling.

"People will also be eating in more as a result of social distancing and increased working from home.

Went to the local Sainsbury's after my partner finished work...one yellow coloured chicken, 9.18 was all that was left on the meats section...why's it so dear, and such an 'orrible colour? totally beyond me...managed to get a salad thing, no real mayo left except that light blue labelled type...I left that for some other lucky sod. It doesn't leave a good feeling to see it all for real, not a thing on the shelves...
What are people suppose to do who work full time? Just hope they get it all sorted out and people start behaving themselves, surely to god they must have ran of space or money? Hopefully both!
Corn fed chicken.

Bought the last two packs of Diet Coke, the last two packs of Nutri Grains, the last two six packs of baked crisps too. I’ve stocked up on healthy-ish snacky stuff at the moment. Security kept the queue at Sainsbury’s this morning.

Tesco just delivered

limit of 3 of everything

Milk,fruit,yogurt,bread,ice cream all arrived

No loo roll etc but i have got that now

There are ways to get round the min amount but i am not going to do it or share how

all arrived packed in bags as they are not coming in anymore

If you are new to online groceries and find something is not available then click on rest of shelf,for example i usually buy milk by the pint and they are not available,i clicked on rest of shelf and there was loads of milk in different sizes

Tesco just delivered

limit of 3 of everything

Milk,fruit,yogurt,bread,ice cream all arrived

No loo roll etc but i have got that now

There are ways to get round the min amount but i am not going to do it or share how

all arrived packed in bags as they are not coming in anymore

If you are new to online groceries and find something is not available then click on rest of shelf,for example i usually buy milk by the pint and they are not available,i clicked on rest of shelf and there was loads of milk in different sizes
Struggling to get a delivery or collection in Cheshire expect it will calm down soon

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.