The idiocy (and selfishness) of panic buying

Brexit was voted for in 2016 the transport industry has had 5 years to recruit hgv drivers , what did they do answer fuckall as they still only wanted to pay peanuts keeping old heaps of shit on the road instead of updating their fleets and creating decent lorry parks to cater for the overnight drivers . I gave up driving in 2001 and joined the civil service as it was better pay to sit on my arse all day get 32 days paid holidays/ flexi time / 6 months sick pay(didn't use it but loads did) per year and be about as productive as the rags

Brexit minimally exacerbates this issue.

I’ve just added to my previous post: over 230,000 British HGV licence holders aren’t working in haulage, 25,000 new HGV drivers pass their test each year but only a small percentage actually go into HGV driving jobs (and it’s £3,000 a pop for a test). We’ve lost 15,000 EU drivers but 60,000 of our own in the same time.
My mate ploughs up to Scotland every night, loads and brings back to distribution centre for Asda he's having the time of his life 10k a year pay rise and 2k bonus if he's still working there this time next year. Before long he might not be pissing in layby and showering in a portaloo. His only worry is the next load of crap spread by the RHA to the BBC to orchestrate the next shortage.

Not IR35 then, not retirement, not inability for drivers to get the HGV licence due to the backlog in the pandemic, not the fact its an awful job driving around the car park motorways of the UK , Not the shite infrastructure or terrible wages they get, not any of that, just pure and simple Brexit.
ok I am convinced
I'll repeat myself 15,000 drivers have been forced out of the country in a time where we need them. Is that a stupid decision or not

Hgv like many manual trades/jobs etc the workforce tends to be mostly mid 50's up. Once that age group starts to retire lots of trades are going to be short staffed.
Young people tend not to want to do dirty heavy manual work and to be honest I dont blame them.
Maybe we could turn HGV driving, crop picking, plumbing and welding into a computer game we'd be inundated.

The numbers are held by the ONS. Around 20,000 drivers have retired in the last two years in the UK. The average age for drivers is 55, 1% of drivers are under 25.

The European Road Freight Transport released a report in 2018 that said Germany had 45,000 vacancies for HGV drivers’ jobs and predicted that would rise by 28,000 a year.

This is the scale the problem of shortages now:
View attachment 27093

124,000 driver shortage in Poland.

Information on shortages across many countries, and it’s a problem going back 15 years:

Also there’s the issue of more than 230,000 HGV licence holders in Britain under the age of 45 who are not actually working in haulage. 25,000 new drivers pass their test every year in Britain. This makes the 15,000 lost due to Brexit seem minimal. As you can see here, we’ve lost 60,000 drivers from our own pool:

View attachment 27094

EU drivers make up around 10.5% of our driver pool. We need to be asking why so many HGV licence holders aren’t driving instead of blaming things that are only minimally to blame.

TI's data is 2020 before the full effect of the HGV going home has taken place. Like I said old figures show me the new ones

I'll repeat myself 15,000 drivers have been forced out of the country in a time where we need them. Is that a stupid decision or not
Nope
a big fuck off pandemic has totally scuppered Brexit. A smoother transition may have happened if it wasn’t for Covid. Nobody who voted for or against Brexit foresaw what would happen with Covid and Brexit.

Were they forced out I don't remember enforced deportations, they have the right to go where ever suites them best.
Of course they were. Would you stay in a country where you had to pay for the privilege to stay whilst feeling unwelcomed by the media and public. Add to that that the wages are similar to their homeland now whith cheaper living costs. It's a no brainer to return home. What draw does this country have for skilled workers

Nope
a big fuck off pandemic has totally scuppered Brexit. A smoother transition may have happened if it wasn’t for Covid. Nobody who voted for or against Brexit foresaw what would happen with Covid and Brexit.

covid has been over since June, you're kidding yourself if you think that is the cause.

Brexit was voted for in 2016 the transport industry has had 5 years to recruit hgv drivers , what did they do answer fuckall as they still only wanted to pay peanuts keeping old heaps of shit on the road instead of updating their fleets and creating decent lorry parks to cater for the overnight drivers . I gave up driving in 2001 and joined the civil service as it was better pay to sit on my arse all day get 32 days paid holidays/ flexi time / 6 months sick pay(didn't use it but loads did) per year and be about as productive as the rags

Because no one had a bloody idea what form Brexit would take. Would we be fully in the EU SM/CU, in for a time limited period of 5 years to transition over, be in the EEA area?

Businesses are not going to put money into a infrastructure and systems model that may be redundant.

We were actually promised we would not exit until we had a clear idea of what the future relationship would be and there would be a two year transition period to allow the country to prepare.

Instead we agreed a deal just before Christmas and were out by New Year with one year transition. During a fucking pandemic.

Christ on a fucking bike. How stupid are Brexiteers? It’s a trick question. Fucking stupid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.