The impact of VAR next season. Good for us. Terrible for Man Utd

Marvin

As at 19th April 2019 these are the penalties awarded by club in the Premier League.

Club--------------------Penalties awarded-------Penalties scored
Manchester United---------12--------------------------9
Crystal Palace---------------11------------------------10
Bournemouth-----------------9--------------------------7
Leicester City-----------------7-------------------------5
Liverpool----------------------6--------------------------6
Chelsea------------------------5--------------------------5
Brighton-----------------------5--------------------------4
Southampton-----------------5--------------------------4
Everton-
-----------------------5--------------------------2

Source: https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/whi...n-awarded-the-most/157apyse801ex14d51lg3w4whx

No I don't know how many penalties City were awarded in the league, but clearly it was less than 5. I don't recall any pens in the last month.

To be honest I was expecting Liverpool to be higher than that. It feels like Salah won a lot of dodgy pens.

I am sure you will agree that the Man Utd pen figure is remarkable and more or less proves beyond all doubt that refereeing is biased. Teams get more pens if they do more attacking, and yet Man Utd have 3 times more pens than City?

Does make you wonder...we must spend more time in the attacking penalty area making more passes in a crowded box than any other team.

The important thing in relation to VAR is will they refer our 'dives' or decide there's nothing to see?

It remains to be seen how VAR is going to be used. Having seen it in the Bundesliga and the Champions League I sometimes get the feeling that it produces even more dubious and game deciding penalties than we had before.

That number of RAG penalties is off course way beyond a statistical anomaly. Can't be a coincidence.

As at 19th April 2019 these are the penalties awarded by club in the Premier League.

Club--------------------Penalties awarded-------Penalties scored
Manchester United---------12--------------------------9
Crystal Palace---------------11------------------------10
Bournemouth-----------------9--------------------------7
Leicester City-----------------7-------------------------5
Liverpool----------------------6--------------------------6
Chelsea------------------------5--------------------------5
Brighton-----------------------5--------------------------4
Southampton-----------------5--------------------------4
Everton-
-----------------------5--------------------------2

Source: https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/whi...n-awarded-the-most/157apyse801ex14d51lg3w4whx

No I don't know how many penalties City were awarded in the league, but clearly it was less than 5. I don't recall any pens in the last month.

To be honest I was expecting Liverpool to be higher than that. It feels like Salah won a lot of dodgy pens.

I am sure you will agree that the Man Utd pen figure is remarkable and more or less proves beyond all doubt that refereeing is biased. Teams get more pens if they do more attacking, and yet Man Utd have 3 times more pens than City?
Spot-on. The number of penalties we get for the amount of possession we have is absurd.

It remains to be seen how VAR is going to be used. Having seen it in the Bundesliga and the Champions League I sometimes get the feeling that it produces even more dubious and game deciding penalties than we had before.

That number of RAG penalties is off course way beyond a statistical anomaly. Can't be a coincidence.
If the penalty decisions reveal bias, you'd imagine a similar effect re offsides and other decisions.

20 titles. Well it'snot surprising is it with help like that.

Think offsides in the run up to goals will be our biggest talking point. Currently, we simply do not have enough players dribbling into the area to commit players to tackle and draw penalties, but the number of chips and passes forward with players running through is considerable. Would expect a fair few of those not to go in our favour.

Think offsides in the run up to goals will be our biggest talking point. Currently, we simply do not have enough players dribbling into the area to commit players to tackle and draw penalties, but the number of chips and passes forward with players running through is considerable. Would expect a fair few of those not to go in our favour.
What you say surprises me. In Bernardo Silva, and Sterling we have two of the best dribblers in the game who are forever trying to get a defender one on one. Add Sane and Mahrez to that. I think our relative lack of pens is down to bias and nothing else.

Var won't alter bias for pens, just look at the var pen the rags got vs PSG.
That is true. Just another set of eyes reviewing the material.

I hadn't thought about that. If the first set of eyes are biased, then why would a second set be any better. Good point!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.