The importance of Wembley 1999

Like the Q.P.R game I didn't enjoy much about either match except the end result.

I remember travelling up on the train and talking to another Blue who was also on his own. I talked him into jibbing into first class as standard was pretty full and i knew it was unlikely the guard would check and he didn't so happy days. I remember the headlines in the papers were thousands of Millwall fans were going to Wembley to attack City fans so we were on our guard as we continued up to Wembley where we split once we arrived.

I remember pre game feeling fairly confident as we had beaten Gillingham away but as a Blue you always had that typical City fear lurking in the background. Gillingham also had a pretty good couple of forwards too.

The game was like most play off finals, rubbish and full of tension. Even the weather matched it, cold, miserable and drizzling rain. It was petering towards extra time when I think Asaba scored. I was gutted and thought the typical City curse had struck again but we might get back into it.....then bang! Fat Bob smashed the second in and it felt like all the air being let out of a balloon, total deflation. Everyone was stunned, slumped in seats, gutted isn't the word. Even when Horlock scored we all thought too little too late. I remember everyone asking how long was left but nobody knew as we frantically urged the players forward, while the whistling for the ref to end the game from the Gillingham end was deafening. A bit like the Aguero goal time seemed to stand still as the ball.fell to Dickov then total bedlam as it few into the net. Everybody was relaxed and happy then. Minutes earlier we were on our way home and doomed to another season amongst the dead men now we had another chance and you just knew we wouldn't waste it.

The feeling going home was a mixture of elation and relief. None of us really knew the significance of winning but I do remember thinking we were too big a club to waste another season down there and with Joe Royle we could now kick on. The rest is of course history.

I can still see that ball hit the back of the net and the pure unadulterated joy flowing through my body, an absolute utopia feeling that I had never felt. The scenes that followed that goal I will never forget. I ended up about 6 rows down such was the wild celebrations. What a day !
We all used to go mental en masse not too long ago. Nowadays many are happy to remain seated and politely clap a goal. We were mostly so shit in the 80's/90' we even went mental on getting a corner, nevermind a goal!

We all used to go mental en masse not too long ago. Nowadays many are happy to remain seated and politely clap a goal. We were mostly so shit in the 80's/90' we even went mental on getting a corner, nevermind a goal!
You are so right. When I was about 14 (circa 87) I broke my mate's nose celebrating a goal in the Kippax. We went fucking mental regardless of who it was against. Even at home when I was a kid listening to the 'It's a goal' jingle on Piccadilly.. if it was City who had scored,my little brother would curl up in a ball ready for the wild picking him up and chucking him about the front room.. if it was a Ooo Nnno you'd see him head to the door before I could give him a few digs. Ha ha!!

Definitely miss the old days and the Kippax. Wouldn't swap it for the success we have now though.

You are so right. When I was about 14 (circa 87) I broke my mate's nose celebrating a goal in the Kippax. We went fucking mental regardless of who it was against. Even at home when I was a kid listening to the 'It's a goal' jingle on Piccadilly.. if it was City who had scored,my little brother would curl up in a ball ready for the wild picking him up and chucking him about the front room.. if it was a Ooo Nnno you'd see him head to the door before I could give him a few digs. Ha ha!!
The Kippax surge was not a place for the faint hearted, and it often happened when we got in the final third of the pitch. Was like a human tsunami picking me up and launching me 10 yards!

And yes, the Piccadilly jingle. If I didn't go to the game, Piccadilly was my best friend at 3pm on Saturdays.

"It's a,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, OH NO" was heard more frequent than "IT'S A GOALLLLLLL!!!!!"

The Kippax surge was not a place for the faint hearted, and it often happened when we got in the final third of the pitch. Was like a human tsunami picking me up and launching me 10 yards!

And yes, the Piccadilly jingle. If I didn't go to the game, Piccadilly was my best friend at 3pm on Saturdays.

"It's a,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, OH NO" was heard more frequent than "IT'S A GOALLLLLLL!!!!!"

@mancityvstoke
I was In Platt lane that game, and at FT I leapt onto the pitch like a Gazelle. A copper tried to rugby tackle me but I was young and fit, cheeky too as I skipped over his outstretched arms before turning round to give him a cheeky V-sign. A good mate of mine is in this clip hugging Alex Williams on 3:16. One of my favourite days of being a blue.

City are back City are back, hello hello

@mancityvstoke
I was In Platt lane that game, and at FT I leapt onto the pitch like a Gazelle. A copper tried to rugby tackle me but I was young and fit, cheeky too as I skipped over his outstretched arms before turning round to give him a cheeky V-sign. A good mate of mine is in this clip hugging Alex Williams on 3:16. One of my favourite days of being a blue.

City are back City are back, hello hello

One of the great games to be at mate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.