The inside story behind City’s march to treble - Times Article

Except for the rampant bitterness in the comments section. I especially liked the one who wanted to "bring back a level playing field...", which would certainly be ground-breaking as English professional football has never been a level playing field, money has usually talked in one form or another.

This one was my favourite retort when the " It's not fair" crap was being thrown our way. I told them that was my feelings exactly before the takeover, when we couldn't compete because the top four got a minimum, extra 25 million a year, due to the champions league money. This was in the days before huge tv revenue was in the premier league. This meant all the top players wanted to join them and they could pay them more. The argument then switched to " You should build the club, fetch through young players" blah. Impossible I told them. Why? Well because anytime on the rare occasion we did, as in SWP, a top four club would come in and buy them and we were back to square one. The rags class of 92 argument was blown out of the water as they were already an established successful top four club who didn't have to sell.

Now we have the money to not only compete but blow them all out of the water the wailing and "Its not fair, you've bought it, you cheated" have reached record levels. That fading they are now aiming the abuse at our owner and the country he resides in supposed human rights abuses.

As Vinny said last night, "You have always been a great club, you're just a great club now with silverware." Spot on Vinny we know what we were and are, haters keep on hating and crying!

The article is now also published in the S*n today, as well as Martin Blackburn attaching a photo of the whole article via his tweet.

Except for the rampant bitterness in the comments section. I especially liked the one who wanted to "bring back a level playing field...", which would certainly be ground-breaking as English professional football has never been a level playing field, money has usually talked in one form or another.

The comments below articles such as these are always my favourite bit. I loved the two points for a win post and how he justified the comments by pretending to worry where Burnley and Southampton would have finished. Care in the community has a lot to answer for!

I didn't. I can read 2 articles a week for free.
How do you sign up for this "registered access"? I've found a couple of links but they just take me to the subscription page and the "registered access" option isn't listed.

How do you sign up for this "registered access"? I've found a couple of links but they just take me to the subscription page and the "registered access" option isn't listed.

Im note sure mate. It was ages ago when I registered. It was to read a link from on here. I wouldn't have given my card details. Im 100 percent on that.

I enjoyed Hirst's article which seemed a genuine attempt to analyse the rational causes of an unprecedented achievement, beginning with the manager. This was an article untainted by the hysterical rantings of those who see Pep and this City team purely as the product of dirty oil money. It needs pointing out that what he has achieved at City is nothing he didn't achieve at Barcelona and Bayern Munich. City's story is thus not some epic of financial doping but the chronicle of a group of men who took a dysfunctional club, invested to turn into a model of sense and efficiency enough to attract the one true genius in management and backed him to create the team he wanted. And it's not finished yet.

This one was my favourite retort when the " It's not fair" crap was being thrown our way. I told them that was my feelings exactly before the takeover, when we couldn't compete because the top four got a minimum, extra 25 million a year, due to the champions league money. This was in the days before huge tv revenue was in the premier league. This meant all the top players wanted to join them and they could pay them more. The argument then switched to " You should build the club, fetch through young players" blah. Impossible I told them. Why? Well because anytime on the rare occasion we did, as in SWP, a top four club would come in and buy them and we were back to square one. The rags class of 92 argument was blown out of the water as they were already an established successful top four club who didn't have to sell.

Now we have the money to not only compete but blow them all out of the water the wailing and "Its not fair, you've bought it, you cheated" have reached record levels. That fading they are now aiming the abuse at our owner and the country he resides in supposed human rights abuses.

As Vinny said last night, "You have always been a great club, you're just a great club now with silverware." Spot on Vinny we know what we were and are, haters keep on hating and crying!
The class of 92 only came about because city had built a team of youth players.
Nobody at the time was interested, especially Utd.
But when city brought through, brightwell, lake, white, hinchcliffe etc, everyone sat up and took notice. Utd went out and took all the talent and city were left to fight over the scraps.
That wasn’t rock bottom but we were getting closer and closer.
City needed investment, vision and a plan and it eventually came.

The class of 92 only came about because city had built a team of youth players.
Nobody at the time was interested, especially Utd.
But when city brought through, brightwell, lake, white, hinchcliffe etc, everyone sat up and took notice. Utd went out and took all the talent and city were left to fight over the scraps.
That wasn’t rock bottom but we were getting closer and closer.
City needed investment, vision and a plan and it eventually came.

I don't think that's 100% accurate as I was at the youth cup final in the eighties with all those players playing and our opponents were United, whom we beat. Their star man was the keeper, Gary Walsh I think who didn't fully fulfil his potential due to injury. I know they nicked Giggs from us just as he was going to sign a professional contract. I think Swales thought he could rely on all those kids to do it at first team level when if he had got some top class players alongside them we could have had a sustained period of success ourselves. Probably the reason he didn't was we wasted millions in the second coming of Allison.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.