The Junior Blues.....

God this brings back memories. I asked me Dad how do I join and he said write to Peter Swales which is what I did. I even remember using the word Ardent in the letter. My Dad told me to use it when he was helping me with it. I remember the scarf and going on the bus on Sundays from Crumpsall on me own to town and another bus to Maine Road, I was only 12. Jesus I wouldnt let my kids out of the street at 12 these days. Harry Godwin used a ruler to sign his name in my autograph book. Joe, Mike Doyle, Owen and Barnes were in there too. Loved it. My first Season ticket in North Stand Block L right in the corner near the police control box was £12 with my JB discount. Used to go to matches on my own too. I remember once not taking my ticket out of my Parka arm pocket and realising it when I was at School on Monday. Shitting myself all day in case I lost it. Following year I moved to Platt Lane for £7. Loved the newsletters and going to the old social club. Great days

Went to one or two games at Maine Road when I was around 13/14. Bus into town then on the football buses from near the Ritz from memory.. My missus would have a dicky fit if I’d let my kids do that now even though the team basically lifts you up and drops you next to the stadium !!

Great memories. Remember getting a birthday present from Bert Trautmann on stage and my Dad being made up, I'd never heard of him!

Imagine taking your kids now on a Sunday to the Etihad to shake hands with KDB, Aguero, Fernandinho and Sterling. Would be amazing.

God this brings back memories. I asked me Dad how do I join and he said write to Peter Swales which is what I did. I even remember using the word Ardent in the letter. My Dad told me to use it when he was helping me with it. I remember the scarf and going on the bus on Sundays from Crumpsall on me own to town and another bus to Maine Road, I was only 12. Jesus I wouldnt let my kids out of the street at 12 these days. Harry Godwin used a ruler to sign his name in my autograph book. Joe, Mike Doyle, Owen and Barnes were in there too. Loved it. My first Season ticket in North Stand Block L right in the corner near the police control box was £12 with my JB discount. Used to go to matches on my own too. I remember once not taking my ticket out of my Parka arm pocket and realising it when I was at School on Monday. Shitting myself all day in case I lost it. Following year I moved to Platt Lane for £7. Loved the newsletters and going to the old social club. Great days
Back in those days my best pal's Dad was a good friend of Harry Godwin and I used to see him at their house on Alkrington.
Harry himself lived on Victoria Avenue,Blackley. He was a trained draughtsman and that explains why he used a ruler to sign autographs,that is what my pal Steve told me anyway.
As regards travelling to matches at a young age, I went to the 1970 League Cup Final in London at the tender age of 13 years 8 months. On the coach from Fountain Street Middleton.With about 4 school friends.

Went to a few with my kids.... one at Gracie Fields Theatre in Rochdale and one at Levenshulme Palais - Cheesey was involved in both I recall.
They also had cinema days when I took my kids to see the latest Disney release. One such day was at the Odeon in town and Uwe Rosler turned up with Roy and Kathy Clarke
My daughter was in one at Gracie Fields ....Joleon Lescott carried her on stage, she was made up

I LOVED junior blues growing up, the meetings at the social club third Sunday of the month seeing which hungover players would rock up. Never good if we’d lost the day before (which was often back then)

I remember taking my sister and my brother ( who passed away in March 2009) to all the meetings that the junior blues had. my sister remembers them well. It sad that the junior blue members have nothing for them at the weekends. there is really nowhere to hold it. What is missing is a social club where the fans can gather on match days and even during the week. This could provide extra revenue for the club.

An updated version of Junior Blues to cover each CFG club as well as Manchester City would be a bold move. It should not just be about going to games but include participation and social events to foster the community and friends with a common interest in football that older supporters enjoy.

The danger is that isolation, alternatives and e-games will cause football to wither as we know it.

Great memories - three things I remember about the Junior Blues:-
1. Being at a rally at the Free Trade Hall and seeing Tony Book walking on stage holding the League Cup aloft (1976).
2. Mini five-a-side tournement at the Platt Lane Training complex.
3. Doing something for Nationwide on TV where we all gathered on the Maine Road pitch to spell something out (can't remember what!)

As a nipper we would take the bus on Saturday mornings to the ABC Minors at the Forum Cinema, Northenden. There were thousands of cinemas offering similar kids programmes in the 1950's and early 60's. It predated childrens tv and we sang:
"We are the boys and girls well known as Minors of the ABC
And every Saturday all line up to see the films we love an shout aloud with glee
We love to laff an have a sing song
Such a happy crowd are we
We are the boys an girls well known as Minors of the ABC"

Junior Blues tapped into this sense of identity in the 1970's. However unsophisticated it may seem, there is demand for social activities for kids. A rethink and re-structured concept around Junior Blues could prove a winner for City and supporters.

Found a programme from November 1984 with this:
2020-10-28-0003.jpg
I'd still love to find that particular Junior Blues newsletter if anyone knows how?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.