"The Keeper"

Fantastic to hear. Still one of my most cherished City memories listening to the great man talk, at 80 years of age, at a Supporters Club meeting. Effortlessly switched from Spanish to English and spoke with such humour and charisma. A real hero and legend in every possible way.

Reactions: dom
Saw his last 3 seasons before retirement and he's still my all time favourite. What a man. Had the privilege of meeting him at a book signing and he was an absolute gentleman. As the OP has suggested by the thread title, he's probably the only City player referred to simply by his first name and every True Blue instantly knows who it is. Mind you, Sergio is approaching that accolade, but even the great Colin Bell usually has the prefix 'King' . There is only one Bert. Always will be.

I remember years ago seeing an interview with the actor and big City fan Warren Clarke(who's sadly no longer alive) In it he let slip that he was trying to get some kind of funding for a film based on Bert ( or possibly it was on the horizon) but that never materialised unfortunately. Now another big blue in the form of John Henshaw ( him out of Early doors) is due to star in the film. Sometimes it's funny how things work out. I personally can not wait for this. My absolute City hero. CTID

For the younger fans who never had the privilege of watching him play what were his greatest strengths, what were his weaknesses and which modern keeper would you say his style is most similar too?

Any other bits of information would be appreciated.

For the younger fans who never had the privilege of watching him play what were his greatest strengths, what were his weaknesses and which modern keeper would you say his style is most similar too?

Any other bits of information would be appreciated.

I can lend you the book Frank.!it is better to her Bert's strengths from the people who say how play (like you said) but the following attributes come across in the book:
- great athleticism
- ability to read the game and tactical awareness
- a prodigious and unique action for throwing out the ball.
- courage and very much being his own man

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.