the kippax. R.I.P.

City 8-1 Wolves, Boxing Day a million years ago.

And, if memory serves me well (unlikely!), Combined City & Rags 6 -5 Rest of World at Bert Trautmann's testimonial.

kev1961 said:
i had some of the best times of my life in the kippax.

my top 3 memories were

the responce of the newcastle fans when the king made his comeback,very warm hearted people.

rags 4-0.

boro 4-0.
the boro match was that the league cup semi final,night game the atmosphere was amazing,i remember doing your,ll never walk alone with every scarf in the ground held up.great night.

I'm an oldie but goldie who was there in the late 60's and early seventies so whilst maybe not having seen it all I've seen most of it!

The Charlton 5-1 promotion game sticks in my mind as a great game for atmostphere. Also the street party outside the stadium before the last game against Southampton (the Caribbean steel metal band playing Blue Moon was fantastic!)

To be honest I hold no great affection for Maine Road due to the fact it was a complete dump in every sense - it really was and I can remember the good times there too. The new Stadium kills it dead in every single way. After that momentus game against QPR I think the Etihad finally became our 'home' (due to the sheer emotion & history being made that day). Don't believe everything you are told about Maine Road, the atmostphere wasn't always fantastic and the Kippax wasn't always jam packed. The mists of time blur our view and its human nature we only ever remember the good things. I remember the catering was so bad at one time on the Kippax you couldn't even buy a Twix! (its true). The toilets were sub-human, the parking was a joke and we had 4 stands all of different heights! If you think the ticket office is bad now - well don't get me going! ;-) The club shop was no bigger than my back bedroom and you were lucky if they decided to serve you! Nahhh... Give me the Etihad and the team and the set up we have now any day of the week!

toofaraway said:
I think we should start a campaign to rename the East Stand to the Kippax.

As the line of the great song goes...
'A fool will lose tomorrow reaching back for yesterday'

Don't spend your life looking into the rear view mirror - look to the future my friend. Our future is very, very bright!

Always remember queuing up at the turnstiles and waiting to get in, diving in the toilets for a much needed slash and then heading for the tunnel. Something about the noise as it got louder as you got further in and then the pitch came into view and you got the full impact of the ground.

Felt happy, felt optomistic, felt at home.

Loved the place, loved the memories. ( still hate Alan Ball ). Loved standing up, Loved jumping up when we scored and landing 20 foot away as you got carried by the crowd.

Would love to be able to take the kids back in time and show them how it used to be.

abu13 said:
Always remember queuing up at the turnstiles and waiting to get in, diving in the toilets for a much needed slash and then heading for the tunnel. Something about the noise as it got louder as you got further in and then the pitch came into view and you got the full impact of the ground.

Felt happy, felt optomistic, felt at home.

Loved the place, loved the memories. ( still hate Alan Ball ). Loved standing up, Loved jumping up when we scored and landing 20 foot away as you got carried by the crowd.

Would love to be able to take the kids back in time and show them how it used to be.
Kids at the front dads all over the shop.

jackrussel said:
kev1961 said:
i had some of the best times of my life in the kippax.

my top 3 memories were

the responce of the newcastle fans when the king made his comeback,very warm hearted people.

rags 4-0.

boro 4-0.
the boro match was that the league cup semi final,night game the atmosphere was amazing,i remember doing your,ll never walk alone with every scarf in the ground held up.great night.

That was a good night. Everyone was nervous at the start but remember it being packed (as usual) and little Ged Keegan got us on our way very early on, if I remember rightly. The place went daft. I think I went to Ayresome Park for the first leg and we lost 1-0. (Tough place to go, believe me, for players and fans!) I saw Ged at a City Old Boys golf day last year and thanked him for that precise, and very precious, moment. He remembers it fondly. I think he scored two that night.

Memories in the Kippax for me were:

Windy Corner, Cosy Corner, blokes pissing where they stood, the scraps, the scrapes, the hot dog vendors, the filthy overflowing bogs, the turnstiles, the rope between City and Rag fans on Derby days, the circling and picking-off of unsuspecting rags on said days, the singing, the swaying, starting a game near the top...and ending the first half two-thirds down, the unmitigating pleasure of being stuck to a bird's arse as you white-water rafted 50 yards down the terrace on celebration of a goal...or after anything else for that matter (any excuse), the daft Spurs, or was it Stoke, or Derby, or Barcode fans who tried to take the Kippax (tut, tut) they should have known better (tee hee), fighting amongst ourselves, Mick Pickering (honing his singing voice) and his die-hard blue sister often in our number, the 2-0 win over L'pool with Tueart starring, the 3-1 FA Cup replay v Everton with Asa starring (...Sandpipers afterwards with a pissed up McKenzie starring), The King's comeback, but never the same, the drop...oh dear! Sweet memories, all the same.

ctid

my first ever game was a night match against carlisle which we lost 2 1 but the floodlights the atmosphere was electric for me as a young kid (my dad was fuming calling us every name known to man)but i didnt care i was hooked and after all the shit look where we are. i loved them early days but got to say i much prefer the modern city

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.