The Kolarov Myth

inbetween

Just wondering can anyone name me a time when Kolarov became a bad defender. Speaking to a few lads after the game and I put it forward that we should of had an extra man in midfield with the one striker and played Kolarov to give us some quality down the left. My mates said that we can't play Kolarov in games like this because he can't defend. Well I've seen Clichy cock up a few times this season so what is the reason for this myth? Kolarov isn't the quickest I know but is Zabs quick who is just his opposite number? Sagna is surely faster yet he can't get a game at the moment? I've never understood why Kolarov isn't our preferred full back, his delivery is a thousand times better, he is someone who can actually take a proper free kick in the direction of the goal and I can't find a single example of his so called poor defensive side.

inbetween said:
Just wondering can anyone name me a time when Kolarov became a bad defender. Speaking to a few lads after the game and I put it forward that we should of had an extra man in midfield with the one striker and played Kolarov to give us some quality down the left. My mates said that we can't play Kolarov in games like this because he can't defend. Well I've seen Clichy cock up a few times this season so what is the reason for this myth? Kolarov isn't the quickest I know but is Zabs quick who is just his opposite number? Sagna is surely faster yet he can't get a game at the moment? I've never understood why Kolarov isn't our preferred full back, his delivery is a thousand times better, he is someone who can actually take a proper free kick in the direction of the goal and I can't find a single example of his so called poor defensive side.

Something like 11 assists since the start of last season.. Fantastic in the title run in, really good going forward and provides us with some width on the left. He's not the best defensively but no worse than Clichy who was appalling again tonight & gives us nothing offensively.

I dont understand why he isnt as clear a first choice full back as Zaba is on the other side.

he constantly gets caught out at the back post ball watching

he is slow and is definitely vulnerable when caught upfield

wasnt it him that gets initially brushed off the ball for the stoke breakaway goal before ferd gets done and hart messes up.

he isnt a good defender and i would also challenge the point that he is a great crosser of the ball......he is inconsistant....set plenty up lat year but he had more than plenty opportunities and wastes as many as he creates

clichy is the better defender and kolorov is better going forward......imho therefore i would always choose clichy over kolorov for the games where we know we are going to be under pressure

simon23 said:
he constantly gets caught out at the back post ball watching

he is slow and is definitely vulnerable when caught upfield

wasnt it him that gets initially brushed off the ball for the stoke breakaway goal before ferd gets done and hart messes up.

he isnt a good defender and i would also challenge the point that he is a great crosser of the ball......he is inconsistant....set plenty up lat year but he had more than plenty opportunities and wastes as many as he creates

clichy is the better defender and kolorov is better going forward......imho therefore i would always choose clichy over kolorov for the games where we know we are going to be under pressure

You wont be able to name me many full backs with better delivery than Kolarov though mate... his low crosses are generally bang on the money, hes got a vicious left foot and takes up nice attacking positions. Even Navas (who I think has great delivery too) wastes a few, I think that happens with a lot of players who can cross the ball well, due to the sheer volume of attempts.

And you can hardly say that Clichy is much better defensively, Gervinho got in behind him so easily tonight, as did Rosenior for the Mangala own goal on saturday... and Wilshire waltzed past him for his goal away at Arsenal.

He's been shite for about a year now.

The sad truth is we still need two top quality left backs. Its been a weak spot of the team for several years now.

I was expecting him to come in last night after it was obvious that they are targeting our left side. Like Pelegrini used him against Barcelona doubling that side.

None of them is top left back unfortunately and we'll never fulfill potential of this team with such average crucial position, fullbacks are very important in modern football. But I guess we'll have to deal with it, they both signed new contracts recently.

Clichy is unfortunately regressing heavily. Never liked him particularly, modern fullbacks are not that bad up front but he at least used to have lot of good defensive displays. He had one this season and in most was utter crap, teams are obviously targeting him now.

yeah kolarov's an excellent wingback, and he's decent in defense. Probably the reason why he "sucks" with defense is because he's too far forward to recover but he isn't that awful.

It's Clichy who's becoming more of a liability. Is it time to scout Europe for LBs? Monaco's Kurzawa perhaps?

why don't we play kov in midfield, that way we will still have Clichy at left back, between them it should be ok. and at least kov will put some crosses in to the box

As of now Kolarov is better than Clichy be it defending or going forward,for the latter aspect i don't think it is even a contest there.We can get away with playing Silva out wide in the PL,but not in champions league,they absolutely battered us bombing forward time and again with the space that they had on our left flank.I think we need to opt for a new LB come next season,after watching Ricardo Rodriguez play for Swiss team in the WC,always been a fan of his,think he would be a much needed upgrade on Clichy.

The only reason I can see for Clichy playing last night over Kolarov is the fact that DeMichelis played, Clichy imo was selected to cover for Martin's lack of pace.

Once Mangala gets settled into the team Kolarov for me has to be the first choice laft back purely for what he can do going forward, Clichy's delivery from out wide is nothing short of fucking awful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.