The Labour Government

I see everything that points to big lazy state, low growth and more debt. More entitlement and more laziness.
Highest ever taxes and highest ever debt under the party you voted for. While at the same time providing the worst public services in living memory. Your party doesn't get rid of handouts, it just shifts them from the needy to the wealthy. At least with Labour, you usually get something for your taxes rather than seeing them syphoned off into the pockets of billionaires and they literally pump our country full of shit.

I'm a mere working class plumber with a detached house in suburbia a beemer and an audi for the wife and the foreign holiday this year along with the private school fees almost made us cut back on the Isa's or Chantelle's uni fund/mini Cooper.

Won't someone please think of the working class.

:-)

Is that coz you made it thru hard work and guile without a handout in your life?

This is not to have a pop at Brewie because I don't know him and he may be one of the miniscule proportion of people who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and still do very well for themselves solely on merit. However there is now a metric shit tonne of research and data that indicates people who have done well for themselves and believe this is down to their own merit rather than the result of economic, cultural and social forces and attendent luck and/or privilege are basically deluded. There's all sorts of complex computer models and simulations that illustrate how much luck or unearned advantage is involved.

Interestingly there's emerging evidence that the greater the levels of inequality in a society the more deluded the rich in that society are about the level of personal merit associated with their wealth.

There are exceptional people in the world but typically they tend to be people who've taken a bullet (metaphorically or literally) for people they don't even know, as opposed to having a nice gaff in Cheshire with a Porsche on the drive.

Last edited:
Absolutely, but that's often because of factors beyond the control of the school. The reality is that private school is self-selecting not just for income, but also for parents who really give a shit about their kids education, and are in a stable situation. And I think kids like that would almost certainly thrive in any school you put them in.
I agree with this:

"The reality is that private school is self-selecting not just for income, but also for parents who really give a shit about their kids education"

But this is nonsense:

"kids like that would almost certainly thrive in any school you put them in."

Kids in poor areas aren't going to be whisked off to Eton, or even a minor private school.

People in poor areas simply cannot afford such luxuries. So if you're worried about kids in poor areas, you're looking in the wrong book, so to speak. The only way to help those kids is to improve the state system.
(Though a major factor in such areas is a lack of educational capital. Homes without a single book and so on. It's not just the school.)

Indeed, school is only part of education. I went to a chaotic grammar school where if you weren't a scientist the Headmaster had no real interest in you. Half the teachers (at least) were downright useless and would not be allowed in the profession now. To a very large extent, I educated myself. Quite literally. My parents were supportive, but we were not exactly rolling in cash and neither had a brilliant education themselves.

I honestly believe the modern state system is far better than it was in the 1960s, if you take it all round. (Which many people don't.) It is, however, grossly underfunded. And I mean grossly. So if you want to help disadvantaged children, you need more funds in there. What Labour is trying to do is give 50p where £5 is needed, but apparently, that's all we can afford, and many seem to resent even that.

I agree with you here. We must be realistic.

unfortunately the state schools that need the most support - those which have to deal with families who are amongst the most deprived in the country - have the least resoures.

And so the cycle continues.

I never said I had an answer, just personal perspective.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.